Breeding Studs/Broods

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good bitch will never be brought to a crap dog,whereas plenty of substandard bitches are brought to good dogs,if the bitch is worthy of breeding you can be sure she’ll be going to a dog worth breedi

A really good bitch from 25years back.She was built better than most dogs and was tougher than a lot of dogs too.Always produced decent quality woekers whatever she was bred to.

Without a good bitch to start with your on a down hill slope straight off. I personally believe their are plenty of good dogs out there but good working bitchs are not as plentiful. I have always pref

Posted Images

19 hours ago, fat man said:

From what I have bred from my own and from what I've seen from the same line their is no difference in them work wise apart from the obvious bitchs tend to come smaller not always but they do.I myself have 4 bitchs here all sisters 2 are smallish not real small but not like their other sisters who are doggy type bitchs big and strong.as for wastage on the bitch side of things I would expect bitchs to work same as dogs no reason why they should not size or not as the old saying goes its not the size of the dog in the fight its the size of the fight in the dog. I've seen big terriers sit back well of their quarry where smaller terriers would be right up tight.the type I keep like to rough it up a bit no sitting back which I prefer but still not stupid .

I'm surprised many seem to differentiate between a dog and bitch work wise. Seems the road to ruin from the outset with this mindset. Like Glyn says breed from a decent hard type to quality bitches and the wastage will be minimal if all goes well .Pays to home dogs with those who's experience will bring out the best in the animal, dogs I mean not bitches and follow progress with a keen eye to fold back in when hes proved himself properly .When a bitch is in season is not the time to look for a dog as some seem to think us the way it works .That dog should be ingrained into your head way before the event .I've recently done the exact opposite ,last year ,and I'm now regretting going outside of what i know as the only pup produced will not be making the grade. I'm about done with the game myself tbh ,my digging bitch has recently displaced a cartilage on top of the rhumatism so will be retired.  I'll continue to go out with lads who have my old stuff but won't be replacing these two.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

I'm surprised many seem to differentiate between a dog and bitch work wise. Seems the road to ruin from the outset with this mindset. Like Glyn says breed from a decent hard type to quality bitches and the wastage will be minimal if all goes well .Pays to home dogs with those who's experience will bring out the best in the animal, dogs I mean not bitches and follow progress with a keen eye to fold back in when hes proved himself properly .When a bitch is in season is not the time to look for a dog as some seem to think us the way it works .That dog should be ingrained into your head way before the event .I've recently done the exact opposite ,last year ,and I'm now regretting going outside of what i know as the only pup produced will not be making the grade. I'm about done with the game myself tbh ,my digging bitch has recently displaced a cartilage on top of the rhumatism so will be retired.  I'll continue to go out with lads who have my old stuff but won't be replacing these two.

Did you ever use a hard bitch as a brood fd are did you prefer a steadier baying type back to a hard dog.

9 hours ago, downsouth said:

Another bitch we had down here in the late 80s early 90s that produced well.A Spartacus daughter that was one of the hardest terriers ive ever seen work.

Screenshot_20181004-075934.png

She looks like a smooth coated version of  spartacus dam Rags  JP told me she was a rough one 

54 minutes ago, Glyn..... said:

She looks like a smooth coated version of  spartacus dam Rags  JP told me she was a rough one 

She wernt wired up right to be honest.You couldnt let her in an earth unless you knew it was occupied because if it was empty she'd spend hours just going round and round looking for something and if she got off the lead shed just f**k off nose down as fast as her legs could carry her without even acknowledging your screams.My pal would even have to use a big net to catch her in his garden but ive not seen many as hard as her.Never once heard her make a sound we'd just wait for her to stay still for half an hour and dig to complete silence a lot of the time you wouldnt even hear a bump.

On 04/10/2018 at 07:16, chesney said:

The best bitchs don't always throw the best pups either I had a very good bitch here years ago and her sisters were decent enough workers all died in ground at various times but they never through anything worth talking about bitchs at that time would of had plenty work behind them bred to very capable dogs with plenty work behind them and all of very decent stock on paper should of produced something. I see very mediocre bitchs bred of certain stuff in the Midlands and they produced capable dogs for a time I think over time the most were found wanting the more work was put in front of them. I find it at 90% failure rate at least of what I've seen of it here now some lads down this side have spent good money for the same bred stuff and coming out with better results but I honestly believe the dogs haven't the work put in a dig here and there keep them ticking over but not tested I suppose ya have ta keep the pretence up ta keep sales up lol.

Not everyone is in it for coin chesney like yourself we like to work our dogs as often as allowed as in everytime their fit to dig to their dug.all of my dogs have seen a lot of digging in their lives so far and will continue to for aslong as their able.like yourself chesney I or my digging mates don't sell pups or dogs we keep them amongst ourselves when ever we breed which is only when we need to.I know their is bitchs been bred from that has seen little or no work but that's down to the individuals that own them and the clowns then that part with big money for them after been told everything they wanted to hear. And aslong as their is people out their to part with their cash their will always be peddlers,

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

It's fitting that Spartacus should crop up on this topic, by many accounts he was bitchy looking and not a great worker BUT many a good kennel has him in the pedigree of their present terriers, so does that throw all of our theories out of the window?

I handled Spartacus he wasn't a weakling compared to smithy he was finner in type but so we're most terriers , but still a better type of dog compared with what another kennell of blacks had  at the time had to offer, never heard anyone who dug to him say he wasn't a good worker , it was said he could never become a great worker like smithy due to the law change... like all blood you get the good the great and the shit :)

Edited by Glyn.....