Breeding Studs/Broods

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good bitch will never be brought to a crap dog,whereas plenty of substandard bitches are brought to good dogs,if the bitch is worthy of breeding you can be sure she’ll be going to a dog worth breedi

A really good bitch from 25years back.She was built better than most dogs and was tougher than a lot of dogs too.Always produced decent quality woekers whatever she was bred to.

Without a good bitch to start with your on a down hill slope straight off. I personally believe their are plenty of good dogs out there but good working bitchs are not as plentiful. I have always pref

Posted Images

The breeding game is based on %  less shit in less shit bred ..... lot of kennels relied on the stud dogs to carry a line and would mate them to lesser bitches in the past which means there is a % of shit in most lines just as  doubleing up the genes to get you  good terriers doubling up the same genes can get you rubbish aswell 

• Like 12

Said it before but going to again, I'm no geneticist but I've found a  dog of a certain type will impart more of its  it's makeup in a line than any bitch ever will but then again I've always bred with a purpose and goal in mind and used a stud over many bitches unlike some who seem to think any dog within a line is good enough .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A good bitch will never be brought to a crap dog,whereas plenty of substandard bitches are brought to good dogs,if the bitch is worthy of breeding you can be sure she’ll be going to a dog worth breeding off,giving less of a % of crap in the mix,IMO. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I don't try to get caught up in the percentage/genetics side of it to much as I'm sure their is no particular way set in stone, I would think both dog and bitch contribute as much as the other does. I've even a litter hear at the moment the 3 bitchs came like the father chunky type, and both dogs came like the mother leggy broken coated type. I think their  temperament is an individual factor as it is in each terrier and to master it threw genes would be a real credit to any man, I see it as some have the temperament for the job some just never will. I'm sure most of us try do what's right by picking best bitch for dog or dog for bitch what ever way you look at it but it's a very eager/nervy time awaiting for your type to show have you been correct in your selective pairing. I think genes plays it's roll but other factors play apart as much like the upbringing of the terrier how it is approached to its work and so on and of course alot a luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

I don't try to get caught up in the percentage/genetics side of it to much as I'm sure their is no particular way set in stone, I would think both dog and bitch contribute as much as the other does. I've even a litter hear at the moment the 3 bitchs came like the father chunky type, and both dogs came like the mother leggy broken coated type. I think their  temperament is an individual factor as it is in each terrier and to master it threw genes would be a real credit to any man, I see it as some have the temperament for the job some just never will. I'm sure most of us try do what's right by picking best bitch for dog or dog for bitch what ever way you look at it but it's a very eager/nervy time awaiting for your type to show have you been correct in your selective pairing. I think genes plays it's roll but other factors play apart as much like the upbringing of the terrier how it is approached to its work and so on and of course alot a luck.

Jmo but if your relying even a tiny bit on upbringing and entering to help in your breeding program you’ve already failed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
47 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Jmo but if your relying even a tiny bit on upbringing and entering to help in your breeding program you’ve already failed.

Not sure what to make of that statement their working fine here I suppose what I mean is as I said genes plays it's roll but so does the up bringing in any terrier. For instance say we both have a pup out if the same litter and say im a terrible terrieman and I have a half starved nervous terrier and you are a good terrierman and your terrier is well looked after and full of life, It would be safe to say your terrier would have a far better chance of fulfilling his working life and passing on the gene and mines chancing would be alot less so I would think the upbringing of a terrier would matter in any mans program, if the gene needs to be passed on. 

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, howdeeposxxt said:

Not sure what to make of that statement their working fine here I suppose what I mean is as I said genes plays it's roll but so does the up bringing in any terrier. For instance say we both have a pup out if the same litter and say im a terrible terrieman and I have a half starved nervous terrier and you are a good terrierman and your terrier is well looked after and full of life, It would be safe to say your terrier would have a far better chance of fulfilling his working life and passing on the gene and mines chancing would be alot less so I would think the upbringing of a terrier would matter in any mans program, if the gene needs to be passed on. 

What I meant was is that you can’t make a silk purse out of a sows lug, polish a turd and so on. If the blood in your terriers ain’t right I don’t care how well you rear and enter they are going to be turds, but if ye start with good blood you can polish it with proper rearing and entering. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

What I meant was is that you can’t make a silk purse out of a sows lug, polish a turd and so on. If the blood in your terriers ain’t right I don’t care how well you rear and enter they are going to be turds, but if ye start with good blood you can polish it with proper rearing and entering. 

I agree with that.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Apache... said:

Upbringing, good kennel management etc will not make a dog work, give it t-bones and lots of love ?. If it works it works if it don't, tuff shit.

That's obvious as agreed on in recent post, to be clearer on what I was trying to get across you can have the best bred pup so to speak but in a fools hand it can be ruined by maybe given to much to soon, as said upbringing will not make a terrier but I believe it's paramount a terrier needs to be looked after regardless because you won't get 100 percent out of a mistreated terrier

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 2

Anyone breeding successful workers will not be aware of husbandry or entering ,they will be second nature and taken for granted .Breeding cannot be hidden by poor stockmanship but can be suppressed by an idiot .The best men I've met only keep what will see work and not because it's bred this way or that .Yards full of show ponies to me are the mark of peddlers and pretenders .

• Like 2

A bitch IMO opinion is the gauge of a line, if they're right you're following the right path. You do get dogs that throw a stamp and type and you also get dogs that throw a high percentage of grafters, they're hens teeth, treasure them where you find them and make the most from them.  There's the old classic saying  "you can f**k a good c**t" it's crude but accurate.

If any of us knew the answers we'd all have a perfect yard of perfect terriers, you'll get shit from excellence and you'll get excellence from shit, you'll find the shit won't replecate itself though.

• Like 12