Jump to content
toolebox

Do you guys have bushing packs that hunt both rabbits and foxes ?

Recommended Posts

On 01/10/2018 at 10:44, Shovel shy said:

We only hunt fox.one or two will hunt a rabbit but I prefer fox only.same as the lurcher lads only slip on fox.

I rarely have the lurchers on a leash,they hunt with the bushers and react to what the bushers are doing,if i had them on a slip their reaction time would be such that many a flush,from the bushers,would be missed.Now i don,t mind missing the odd flush and find it part and parcel of any hunt,yet i prefer to let the mutts take advantage at what they do best without interference from the mush restricting them on a leash.Certainly there are occasions when the mutts hunting activity and instinct needs controlling by command or a leash,but on the whole my mutts are educated to take advantage of their freedom and choice.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, morton said:

I rarely have the lurchers on a leash,they hunt with the bushers and react to what the bushers are doing,if i had them on a slip their reaction time would be such that many a flush,from the bushers,would be missed.Now i don,t mind missing the odd flush and find it part and parcel of any hunt,yet i prefer to let the mutts take advantage at what they do best without interference from the mush restricting them on a leash.Certainly there are occasions when the mutts hunting activity and instinct needs controlling by command or a leash,but on the whole my mutts are educated to take advantage of their freedom and choice.

Each to there own morton. Alot of places we hunt farmer's want results and foxes dropped.if we were to let lurchers loose theyd chase rabbits or hares when the fox would bolt scot free.soon lose permission 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Shovel shy said:

Each to there own morton. Alot of places we hunt farmer's want results and foxes dropped.if we were to let lurchers loose theyd chase rabbits or hares when the fox would bolt scot free.soon lose permission 

Im possibly at an advantage because i mostly hunt for pleasure now and the few occasions that i need to hunt to control a pest on request are infrequent and i don,t seek such situations now,again im fortunate to be in such a situation and my mole trapping for the said landowners is my ace in the pocket.Its refreshing to agree to disagree with somebody on here and yet still share the same basic hunting values.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, morton said:

Im possibly at an advantage because i mostly hunt for pleasure now and the few occasions that i need to hunt to control a pest on request are infrequent and i don,t seek such situations now,again im fortunate to be in such a situation and my mole trapping for the said landowners is my ace in the pocket.Its refreshing to agree to disagree with somebody on here and yet still share the same basic hunting values.

Exactly.we're effectively doing the same thing getting out hunting.just a little bit different

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Shovel shy said:

Each to there own morton. Alot of places we hunt farmer's want results and foxes dropped.if we were to let lurchers loose theyd chase rabbits or hares when the fox would bolt scot free.soon lose permission 

Fair play mate got to do what you gorr do me personally just have a bash at whatever s about love it never know what you might see 

1 thing for certain tho I will fall over at some stage

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 08/10/2018 at 03:56, morton said:

I rarely have the lurchers on a leash,they hunt with the bushers and react to what the bushers are doing,if i had them on a slip their reaction time would be such that many a flush,from the bushers,would be missed.Now i don,t mind missing the odd flush and find it part and parcel of any hunt,yet i prefer to let the mutts take advantage at what they do best without interference from the mush restricting them on a leash.Certainly there are occasions when the mutts hunting activity and instinct needs controlling by command or a leash,but on the whole my mutts are educated to take advantage of their freedom and choice.

That pretty well sums up most of my days hunting rabbits every day for a living never gets old ,I don't view it as a job, to me its great sport I happen to get paid to do jesus christ some days I pinch my self to see if I'm dreaming or not .I run a bigger pack of up to twenty dogs, depending  if I breaking in any pups or not ,its a mix of trackers ,bushes and lurchers,they are expected to catch most of what they flush out or catch in heavy cover that our rabbits live in ,these places are gullies ,tree lots and hated  gorse ,that bloody gorse can grow up to 3 feet in a single year here in NZ ,its not unusual to see several hundred acres of  it .

Edited by toolebox

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Black neck said:

Owt berra un nowt

 Espes [BANNED TEXT] ther  nowt bout 

Edited by bunnyboiler

Share this post


Link to post
On 01/11/2018 at 05:57, toolebox said:

That pretty well sums up most of my days hunting rabbits every day for a living never gets old ,I don't view it as a job to me its great sport I happen to get paid to do jesus christ some days I pinch my self to see if Im dreaming or not .I run a bigger pack of up to twenty dogs, depending  if I brecking in any pups or not ,its a mix of trackers ,bushes and lurchers,they are expected to catch most of what they flush out or catch in heavy cover that our rabbits live in ,these places are gullies ,tree lots and hated  gorse ,that bloody gorse can grow up to 3 feet in a single year here in NZ ,its not unusual to see several hundred acres of  it .

gorse is bloody horrible stuff aint it ive had way to many days dragging my self through that stuff for some birds one drive got so bad the dogs would stop half way! always a lot hiding in there tho

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Criss86 said:

gorse is bloody horrible stuff aint it ive had way to many days dragging my self through that stuff for some birds one drive got so bad the dogs would stop half way! always a lot hiding in there tho

Lol I know what you mean wi that place I used to beat on there was a right bad drive not gorse bramble Anyroad had to smash a way through tekin ages looked behind me there's every dog in the line queuing up to follow me 

A woman went missing in there for an hour once an it were note to do wi me🙄

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Lol I know what you mean wi that place I used to beat on there was a right bad drive not gorse bramble Anyroad had to smash a way through tekin ages looked behind me there's every dog in the line queuing up to follow me 

A woman went missing in there for an hour once an it were note to do wi me🙄

as bad as that was i bet it was a funny sight to see the dogs doing that mate lol. i lost my brother a few times in that drive there was water gullies everywhere about 3ft deep so you would constantly think your on hard grown then b gone asyou couldnt see your feet!

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Criss86 said:

as bad as that was i bet it was a funny sight to see the dogs doing that mate lol. i lost my brother a few times in that drive there was water gullies everywhere about 3ft deep so you would constantly think your on hard grown then b gone asyou couldnt see your feet!

Fecking hell that sounds rum 

My funniest thing was the keeper collapsed a pig set fell in up to his waist just as a muntjac come belting through hit him square in the chest he dint appreciate my comments to stop arseing about 

I was delighted 😂

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Fecking hell that sounds rum 

My funniest thing was the keeper collapsed a pig set fell in up to his waist just as a muntjac come belting through hit him square in the chest he dint appreciate my comments to stop arseing about 

I was delighted 😂

if only you had a camera rolling that would of been pricless! i bet he didnt mate 😂  i had some right laughs when the game keeper was training me especially with my brother trainng with me lol

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Gorse patches are nick named Jesus Christ bushes up here , cause whenever anyone going through them hunting that’s all you hear them shout !!😂😂

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×