First Cross Lurchers?

What are your thoughts or experiences guys on the size of pups from a first cross mating? 

Do they throw vastly different in height, size etc(apart from the normal variety that would be expected from a first cross mating) if the sire was the greyhound and the dam was the breed to be added.

For example first cross bull greyhound or Bedlington greyhound?

All the best

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've a first cross wheaten greyhound that I bred myself. The Wheaten was 48 pound strong dog with a good head and the greyhound was on the small side at 24 inchs. The dog pup i kept is 60 pound and ab

I couldn't be sure but 90 percent of time the greyhound is kept on the dam side. Maybe they can throw too cobby if you go the other way and lose speed. It can surprise you at times the throw back. For

All goes on size of parents 

Posted Images

I've a first cross wheaten greyhound that I bred myself. The Wheaten was 48 pound strong dog with a good head and the greyhound was on the small side at 24 inchs. The dog pup i kept is 60 pound and about 23  Inchs. Like sandymere said they don't variate much on first cross. If you mix a couple of other breeds in then it can escalate. I'm not a lurcher expert by any means but that's how it turned out for me with a pretty even litter. Turned out perfect for what I need but been honest the dog will always be injury free but if you wanted him to run faster stuff he would lack in gears. I just run foxes( legal in Ireland ) but if I lived in a country where you can run hares or fallow which would shock you how quick they are then I would cross that dog back to the greyhound and run 3/4 greyhound 1/4 wheaten which would catch most things. Add more greyhound and you will get speed but it's the wheaten that gives them the fire. That's why I like the first cross.

IMG_1341.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

Thanks for the input.

For argument sake, would you expect the litter to be much the same the other way round, say a female Wheaton and the greyhound as the sire? Any issues this way?

I couldn't be sure but 90 percent of time the greyhound is kept on the dam side. Maybe they can throw too cobby if you go the other way and lose speed. It can surprise you at times the throw back. For example the pure Wheaton I used to sire my full greyhound bitch was a dirty tramp and an out an out dog killer. He has killed more than 3 and sneaky as fcuk. He wouldn't show aggression instead the sneaky Cnut would wag his tail walk up behind and then nail them on back of the head and kill them. The pup I kept is showing no dog aggression but is bigger and stronger than his father but will still work game and because of his blood I kennel him alone but I'm confident he has a good nature and would trust him with a pup. His father definetly not. I have pictures of my daughter at 3 years old riding him like a horse and he is a lamb with humans but dirty when he sees another dog. He was quiet but then he hit 14 months and grabbed a Lakeland and I jumped on him and put my hand in his mouth pushed his tounge down and he released without biting me. It was too late the other dog was dead. Sometimes the first cross is just too much dog and lacks speed. The son I have is a gentle giant and will only switch on when he sees game . Way easier handle 

• Like 2

An old boy that used to run lurchers in the 60's and 70's always said smaller racier stock came from a greyhound sire. He bred and ran both collie crosses for rabbits and deerhound crosses for hares (pre saluki) and said it would happen with both.

I would always find the biggest greyhound dam if i wanted to produce big. We tend to look at the sire more in first crosses but i'd make sure both were right.

I breed 2 litters of first xs out of a greyhound bitch, first litter was only the 1 pup that made 28” second litter was pretty even with the smallest bitch being 24.5” and the biggest dog being 26”, both sires were pretty much the same size and dam being 28”. I’ve seen much more variation in lurcher to lurcher matings. 

31 minutes ago, jiggy said:

I couldn't be sure but 90 percent of time the greyhound is kept on the dam side. Maybe they can throw too cobby if you go the other way and lose speed. It can surprise you at times the throw back. For example the pure Wheaton I used to sire my full greyhound bitch was a dirty tramp and an out an out dog killer. He has killed more than 3 and sneaky as fcuk. He wouldn't show aggression instead the sneaky Cnut would wag his tail walk up behind and then nail them on back of the head and kill them. The pup I kept is showing no dog aggression but is bigger and stronger than his father but will still work game and because of his blood I kennel him alone but I'm confident he has a good nature and would trust him with a pup. His father definetly not. I have pictures of my daughter at 3 years old riding him like a horse and he is a lamb with humans but dirty when he sees another dog. He was quiet but then he hit 14 months and grabbed a Lakeland and I jumped on him and put my hand in his mouth pushed his tounge down and he released without biting me. It was too late the other dog was dead. Sometimes the first cross is just too much dog and lacks speed. The son I have is a gentle giant and will only switch on when he sees game . Way easier handle 

Why risk breeding off such a thing

12 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Why risk breeding off such a thing

Well that's the thing! All 5 pups had  no dog aggression and there wasn't any other Wheaton around that worked.There is plenty of wheatons about very few actually work. I didn't have a choice of 10 different dogs that do the job. Show me somebody that does? Like most bulls walking around with a 60 pound dog on a chain with your tracksuit tooked into white socks and runners doesn't appeal to me.I seen the dog work so got what I was looking for.

• Like 1