Mods please help

2 hours ago, neil b said:

When I’m posting a new topic it says I can only download 15.65 mb of pics etc can you help please

If you support brexit,Tommy Robinson and hate muslims  and immigration then it will automatically be fixed. I have to work in reverse. I'm just into hunting so I have to work them in line the opposite way.???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, neil b said:

On moochers it lets you download 511mb but on here it is only 14.65mb why is that 

Forum policies between owner and server.

My Fuji point an shoot takes a high-resolution photograph at around 3.6mb each. That would allow me to post 4 shots (ish) at full size on THL. 141 full-size shots on Moochers.

I reduce my photos to 550 pixels wide in Photoshop which compresses the file size to around 150kb which is optimised for people viewing the forum on their phones. It allows them to view the pictures without scrolling.

At 150kbs per photo, I can post 96 photos on THL for the same amount of file space. That would be 3384 photos on Moochers.

3.6mb is 3600kbs. Reducing the size of the photos will allow you to post many more pictures and keep you within the data limits of the site you're using. It'll also allow people who view your photos on smaller devices to see them easier and it won't make their devices lag due to the size of the file.

TL:DR... Get a program that resizes JPGs.

• Confused 1

@neil b

Neil. I took the liberty of snagging this picture from one of your posts on another thread.

NeilB.thumb.jpeg.3af65f91006f796109dc2fc12d6ec2e6.jpeg

This was a direct upload from your computer and I'm assuming came straight from your camera? It uses X amount of the upload data limit depending on the size, and the forum will resize it to a default setting determined by the administrator. This is why you can't upload a lot of images in one go. Files are too large in size to keep under the data limit (cap).

This is the same picture that I took the liberty of resizing on your behalf.

NeilBResized.jpg.eb3839e456972537d2eb2460381554bb.jpg

You can see that the picture is much smaller and consequently uses far less data than the original. Smaller size = Less Data.

Because of this, you can add more pictures and stay under the data limit (cap)

One large picture carries the same amount of data as several much smaller pictures and resizing the originals will do this automatically allowing you to upload more of your photos.

Does that make sense?

Edited by ChrisJones
Hoping To Claify OP

I'll try this from one of my generic photo albums.

• I upload this picture directly to the forum.

TheTruthIsOutThere.thumb.jpg.760a8791329974b205246d656eaf16d6.jpg

It's a 2MB photo straight from the camera's memory card. It has a width of 4608 pixels. It has a height of 3456 pixels.

When I upload it looks something like this in the posting section...

TTIOTDemo1.png.58905df2b10ecda2a61a9bee0979b0fb.png

It's a good sized file but not the biggest photo. Note that the forum limit says 14.65MB? This picture is 2MB so I can upload a few more up to the sites data limit.

• Next, I upload this picture to the forum. It's one that I've resized in Photoshop.

TheTruthIsOutThereResize.jpg.086867eaf4390c0bd684772b5d1a60d4.jpg

It's the same 2MB photo straight from the camera's memory card. But now that I've resized it its a 20th of its original size. It now has a width of 550pixels. It has a height of 413pixels.

When I upload it looks some like this in the posting section...

TTIOTDemo2.png.aafd208b876a26fb2d00969f4532bc7a.png

By reducing the size of the picture I reduce the size of the file. This means I'm using far less data.

Note that the forum limit still says 14.65MB? It's still the same but this picture is 97KB which is around 20 times less data than the original photograph.

This means I can upload many more up to the sites data limit.

EDIT: 550 pixel width is optimized for viewing on mobile phones.

Edited by ChrisJones
Typo
  • Confused 1