acd x greyhoud

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My acd x greyhound pup out of two 1st crosses. 15 weeks old this coming Thursday. Looking forward too seing how this one turns out.  Atb Adam 

Sensible advice I would also add,..that just because a Cattle Dog shows an inbred ability to herd large dangerous beasts in its native environment,..it does not equate to the catching and killing

Best of luck on your exciting new journey,...it will be emotional at times,...but rewarding, so have fun,...all the best, Phil.?  

Posted Images

13 hours ago, C.green said:

I would like to have a pure round me for abit see what i could do with one i like that ugly wild look they have.

They definitely have a lot of wildness from the dingo and imo are one of the worlds best natural guards.I had one crossed back to a dingo,very savage dog,had to get rid of it as would go for my kids faces.A mate had a dingo/german shepherd that was also a very savage guard,so I'm thinking the savageness is from the dingo blood.I know the aboriginals would discipline them,if the dingo pup bit them they would bite it back hard and they seemed well balanced dogs.

Edited by Aussie Whip

Kelpies and ACDs often get spoken about together but what about their regional cousin the NZ Huntaway, have these ever found their way into lurcher breeding? Too vocal perhaps? But solid looking animals.

Another breed/type I found out about recently is the Idaho Shag. Again a pastoral type but one that is gritty as f**k. There's a chap that uses them as decoy dogs on coyotes and they will finish a wounded yote which is no trivial task. Don't look stupid hard, quite clever with taking a throat hold.

Edited by Born Hunter
1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

Kelpies and ACDs often get spoken about together but what about their regional cousin the NZ Huntaway, have these ever found their way into lurcher breeding? Too vocal perhaps? But solid looking animals.

Another breed/type I found out about recently is the Idaho Shag. Again a pastoral type but one that is gritty as f**k. There's a chap that uses them as decoy dogs on coyotes and they will finish a wounded yote which is no trivial task. Don't look stupid hard, quite clever with taking a throat hold.

You're right about the Huntaways being too noisy for most. Those Idaho shags look like some of the mongrelised farm dogs that can be found here in the uk. They make some handy dogs indeed

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, trenchfoot said:

You're right about the Huntaways being too noisy for most. Those Idaho shags look like some of the mongrelised farm dogs that can be found here in the uk. They make some handy dogs indeed

Yeah, doubt the Shags would be any better than a hardy hill collie, just interesting all these regional pastoral/herding types.

• Like 1
On 24 September 2018 at 07:11, Terry Ermann said:

I wouldn’t keep one anywhere else, my own Kelpie crosses need stimulation and they have an overwhelming desire to be at my side. I couldn’t see me having a holiday they would probably commit suicide after day one. They properly need to be out doing something as much as possible and at every single possible opportunity. If they were in the house I’m pretty sure it would be destroyed the first time I left them alone for an hour ? obviously Kelpies and ACD’s are not exactly the same but I imagine the work ethic side of things to be similar. 

There be some that need that full on busy type a cur that's gonna be going full throttle all day plus night ,personally I like a jukel full of drive that needs loads of work ethic it's just got be that ways fa me on the go no time fa slackers that need days nights on the bed the more drive in it the better . Atb bill

• Like 1
2 hours ago, billhardy said:

There be some that need that full on busy type a cur that's gonna be going full throttle all day plus night ,personally I like a jukel full of drive that needs loads of work ethic it's just got be that ways fa me on the go no time fa slackers that need days nights on the bed the more drive in it the better . Atb bill

and me rather have a dog that  up for it , than one that thinks to much  about it. i think most herding dogs ,  can be the latter  deff collies , never had a heeler x, but i reckon  one x back to nice strong type whippet , you get a handy knock about tough type dog day/night  and not over big  23 in  50 odd lb , have as much as any colliex got to offer , and more grit in it , surprised  they not bred more . i know Lloydy  bred speckle   acdx grey  and was good dog , but  still think maybe the acd x whippet  be handy dog to have in this day/age 

29 minutes ago, bird said:

and me rather have a dog that  up for it , than one that thinks to much  about it. i think most herding dogs ,  can be the latter  deff collies , never had a heeler x, but i reckon  one x back to nice strong type whippet , you get a handy knock about tough type dog day/night  and not over big  23 in  50 odd lb , have as much as any colliex got to offer , and more grit in it , surprised  they not bred more . i know Lloydy  bred speckle   acdx grey  and was good dog , but  still think maybe the acd x whippet  be handy dog to have in this day/age 

Reckon the could be 48 pound tho mate

• Haha 3
53 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

Were the malinois originally a herding type and are they still used today in some places.?

Seen a mal x gsd yesterday morning hanging out the back of a security blokes van I got talking to him and the dog was fine but if you were trying  to break in

Well you just wouldn't 

4 hours ago, billhardy said:

They have drive and buckets of it,there aim in life is to work to please their masters and the one's iv'e seen truely do,but it ain't the same sort of drive say a lead pulling eye bulging bull x would have.Equal to it in that they'd die for it ,but not so up front as such.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, fireman said:

They have drive and buckets of it,there aim in life is to work to please their masters and the one's iv'e seen truely do,but it ain't the same sort of drive say a lead pulling eye bulging bull x would have.Equal to it in that they'd die for it ,but not so up front as such.

Yeah No one likes a slip puller 

I'm lucky my right arm.is 20 foot

13 hours ago, billhardy said:

Obviously there are some people that need that from a dog but most people don’t. An animal like that is no good if it can’t be out with you the majority of the time, there’s nothing wrong with keeping hard working types provided you can do them justice if you can not commit to that type of lifestyle I would steer very clear. 

• Like 2