acd x greyhoud

9 hours ago, troyboy17 said:

So what are saying they nota dog to be kenneled

I wouldn’t keep one anywhere else, my own Kelpie crosses need stimulation and they have an overwhelming desire to be at my side. I couldn’t see me having a holiday they would probably commit suicide after day one. They properly need to be out doing something as much as possible and at every single possible opportunity. If they were in the house I’m pretty sure it would be destroyed the first time I left them alone for an hour ? obviously Kelpies and ACD’s are not exactly the same but I imagine the work ethic side of things to be similar. 

• Like 3

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My acd x greyhound pup out of two 1st crosses. 15 weeks old this coming Thursday. Looking forward too seing how this one turns out.  Atb Adam 

Sensible advice I would also add,..that just because a Cattle Dog shows an inbred ability to herd large dangerous beasts in its native environment,..it does not equate to the catching and killing

Best of luck on your exciting new journey,...it will be emotional at times,...but rewarding, so have fun,...all the best, Phil.?  

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Terry Ermann said:

I wouldn’t keep one anywhere else, my own Kelpie crosses need stimulation and they have an overwhelming desire to be at my side. I couldn’t see me having a holiday they would probably commit suicide after day one. They properly need to be out doing something as much as possible and at every single possible opportunity. If they were in the house I’m pretty sure it would be destroyed the first time I left them alone for an hour ? obviously Kelpies and ACD’s are not exactly the same but I imagine the work ethic side of things to be similar. 

I’ve never seen a acd but I have kelpies and from what I’ve read on here they seem very similar to the kelpies in the sense they need to be doing something constantly, and are very busy dogs. 

Im not 100% keen on the kelpies but you’ve got to give it to them, they are relentless workers. I couldn’t think of a worse dog to keep in the house, if mine aren’t doing something for 5 minutes they will find something to do, wrong or right. 

• Like 3

I would imagine in the wrong hands they would be a total liability. Cattle dogs are purposely bred to put pressure on whole herds of animals much larger than themselves. If they come across any stubborn beasts they solve the problem with their mouth, I believe that’s where the name “Heeler” comes from. They are robustly built flatout working machines with the heart of a dog fifty times their size if you don’t need that kind of animal in a running dog I wouldn’t add it.  

• Like 6

A lot of blokes here use F1 whippet/cattle for hunting rabbits in the pines as they have great feet.Cattle dogs are strong willed dogs with a fair dose of dingo blood and are great guards.Most don't have the work style of kelpies, but have great heat tolerance and stamina.I used to go ferreting with a mate with a straight cross cattle /grey,was a decent ferreting dog but lacked pace imo.They aren't as good as kelpies or collies at stock work except when a beast breaks from the herd the cattle dogs grab it by the nose and give it a hiding to teach it to stay with the other cattle.

• Like 3

Sensible advice:clapper:

I would also add,..that just because a Cattle Dog shows an inbred ability to herd large dangerous beasts in its native environment,..it does not equate to the catching and killing of vulpines, here in the UK.

Obviously, if a particular specimen of this fairly uncommon Greyhound/ACD hybrid decides to grab hold of something, it is physically capable of sorting things out, indeed, my own stock frequently came across  things other than rabbits, but, as a whole, there are far better hybrids for that kind of work than ACD's.  I do believe that anyone thinking of using such a determined animal to create a lurcher type for tackling another quarry,.. should bear this in mind..."Just cos they could, don't mean they would"...?

File0786.jpg.3859dde6ae4455a88d231ae789387884.jpg

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Another way of looking at it could be what would a ACD bring to the table that is lacking in a collie, Bedlington or even GSD? Assuming all other things being equal and a good working stud were available in each breed.

think I know what you mean ,maybe similar reasons as to why I moved on from collie to Bedlington crosses ?

9 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Sensible advice:clapper:

I would also add,..that just because a Cattle Dog shows an inbred ability to herd large dangerous beasts in its native environment,..it does not equate to the catching and killing of vulpines, here in the UK.

Obviously, if a particular specimen of this fairly uncommon Greyhound/ACD hybrid decides to grab hold of something, it is physically capable of sorting things out, indeed, my own stock frequently came across  things other than rabbits, but, as a whole, there are far better hybrids for that kind of work than ACD's.  I do believe that anyone thinking of using such a determined animal to create a lurcher type for tackling another quarry,.. should bear this in mind..."Just cos they could, don't mean they would"...?

File0786.jpg.3859dde6ae4455a88d231ae789387884.jpg

That post Phil his a good post and says it just about all.atb bill

9 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

what the brains like in these dogs like, compaired with a good old fashioned working border collie ?

A bit different in that a bored collie might try to round up the kids,a bored acd x WILL destroy your house,p*ss off the neighbours and make you want a valium script.. They are clever dogs that thrive on difficulty, not abuse or a heavy hand as such but they just have that extra something and if they were a battery they'd be Durracells..

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

A lot of blokes here use F1 whippet/cattle for hunting rabbits in the pines as they have great feet.Cattle dogs are strong willed dogs with a fair dose of dingo blood and are great guards.Most don't have the work style of kelpies, but have great heat tolerance and stamina.I used to go ferreting with a mate with a straight cross cattle /grey,was a decent ferreting dog but lacked pace imo.They aren't as good as kelpies or collies at stock work except when a beast breaks from the herd the cattle dogs grab it by the nose and give it a hiding to teach it to stay with the other cattle.

I've owned 3 ACDs and would have to agree with your view of the breed,I have a mate that runs cattle station in FNQ and he includes a little heeler blood with his mainly handy type collies for stock work and he gave me the same view as you have ,so I think that's a fair over view of the ACD.. 

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 2