Southend Mouthed retrieving

I’ve a 4 year old whippet grey bitch will retrieve to me then will let go within a yard of me and have to recatch but sometimes doesn’t. It’s frustrating as after a good run she has let go. She will bring in a dummy or ball and hold until I take it off her. Sometimes she is fine with retrieving after a few wins. She’s the softest mouthed lurcher I’ve ever owned of the 4 in my time. I’m thinking of breeding her as have had parents and is nice to keep the line going. The rest of litter are all doing really well. 

If if I did decide to go down the route of breeding I’m thinking of adding some beddy blood to give a better mouth. Or would people recommend another breed to add to try to improve her possessiveness 

Edited by springfield
Typo errir

3 hours ago, springfield said:

I’ve a 4 year old whippet grey bitch will retrieve to me then will let go within a yard of me and have to recatch but sometimes doesn’t. It’s frustrating as after a good run she has let go. She will bring in a dummy or ball and hold until I take it off her. Sometimes she is fine with retrieving after a few wins. She’s the softest mouthed lurcher I’ve ever owned of the 4 in my time. I’m thinking of breeding her as have had parents and is nice to keep the line going. The rest of litter are all doing really well. 

If if I did decide to go down the route of breeding I’m thinking of adding some beddy blood to give a better mouth. Or would people recommend another breed to add to try to improve her possessiveness 

If your not 100 percent happy wi her don't breed off her 

Not preaching I've had to get me head round the same thing but for different reasons 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, springfield said:

What I’m trying to get at is what would be my best addition to add to try to improve this. Most breed to improve something in their line. 2 perfect dogs could produce rubbish 

Fair play mate any of the terrier xs  will give it more grip lol

• Like 1

? As I once told a dreaming schoolteacher,..a deluded fool, intent upon ruling the lurcher world with a mass of algebraic scribblings and theoretical mumbo-jumbo...?

"Lurcher breeding doesn't always work out the way ya want it to,...lots of variables,.nothing is cast in stone"...

I've seen plenty of whippets that killed a coney, on impact, and more than a few Bedlington lurchers that carried their catch, gently to hand...

Its all about individuals,..just the same as with human hunters...?

1439104437_fe(2).jpg.4c875a3e78796605da75486c56e96982.jpg

• Like 8
6 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

? As I once told a dreaming schoolteacher,..a deluded fool, intent upon ruling the lurcher world with a mass of algebraic scribblings and theoretical mumbo-jumbo...?

"Lurcher breeding doesn't always work out the way ya want it to,...lots of variables,.nothing is cast in stone"...

I've seen plenty of whippets that killed a coney, on impact, and more than a few Bedlington lurchers that carried their catch, gently to hand...

that's not very nice Philip lol.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, springfield said:

What I’m trying to get at is what would be my best addition to add to try to improve this. Most breed to improve something in their line. 2 perfect dogs could produce rubbish 

two perfect lurchers can produce rubbish its true but you have more chance if there less than perfect.

11 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Well said sir I like the style 

Now this teacher you speak of

18 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

1439104437_fe(2).jpg.4c875a3e78796605da75486c56e96982.jpg

I’m just trying to keep a steady head? with the breeding. Some will lose there mind thinking what to do.???

Edited by springfield
Typo
22 hours ago, springfield said:

one of the most difficult decisions in keeping lurchers SHOULD be weather to bread or not, but often as in your case you bred the bitch and want to breed a better dog from it, we all strive to improve our dogs, but the foult may pass on then where are you, buying in is often the best way, you can bread things like staminer and durability in by using different breads but an actual foult is another matter, and could persist for generations, good luck.

Edited by two crows
  • Like 1

How old is it? Could teach it to sit, stay and hold, starting with something like a matchbox and work your way up to something bigger. Dog sits and stays,  comes when called( over weeks) an increasing distance then sits and hold again in front of you. Or if dog run around you with rabbit teach it to sit and stay better than chasing it round the field. 

It’s about personal space and the effect it has on dogs 

we all have a space around us which we deem as our own , face to face is where we feel it most ,

some f****r gets  up in yer face , you feel it emotionally , exact same for the dog , for the dog to have to open it’s mouth it has to change its mindset