New X barrel

villaman

2 hours ago, villaman said:

Jimmy , Had a look through XQ 50 yesterday at the sportingman gun centre just outside Dorchester , my god it is good , blown away with it  is a under statement .

Its a good job I forgot my wallet ,all else I would of had it . I am going to wait a bit just to see if these Pard ones are any good ,if not I will get in touch with Ian of here and order one .

I need some kind of night vision for the impact now as the nights are getting darker , but saying that my .22 FAC FX crown should be with me in a couple of weeks and night vision will go on that .

Started to look at .17 HMR as well yesterday and might go for one ,just need to find out which one  more homework to do now 

You will shit your pants when you

look through one out in the field Mitch

then you will be on the phone ordering one

money is the only thing that stopped me lol

or id have phoned Ian there and then

before i even shot out lol

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, philpot said:

Two problems we found with the .17HMR, firstly it will turn a rabbit inside out so only mush left on the ground and secondly, you cannot shoot quietly as the round is too fast to be able to shoot with stealth.

My pal bought one ahead of me and whilst I have .17HMR and a .22 magnum on ticket, I really cannot see me getting one. They are very popular but I really don't see them being much use on my perms even though we thought the .17HMR would be very useful.

I have been very surprised how light and superbly well balanced the Crown is Mitch, you are going to love it mate.

When time allows, I would be very interested to know if the 'X' barrel is any better than the standard smooth twist when using your specified pellets.

Phil

Phil , Did some testing with AA 25.4 gr pellets today , in fact just got back and I think so far the groups are a bit tighter.

This is at 100 yards and I am sure I should get them a bit tighter , light was not that good plus I have a bad back and cold at the moment .

I will be testing a bit more tomorrow with JSB 25.3 gr ,I know most say, including me  they are the same as AA fields but if you look inside they are different 

This week I will be trying H&N and if I can get hold of     jsb .25 pellets king heavy MK11 33.95 gr these are meant to be one of the most accurate pellet through the FX .25 guns 

This is at 100 yards using AA fields 25.4gr with 16 pellet group running at 898 fps about 45 ft/lbs. As you can see apart from one pellet it would be about 3/4"

Pleased with that but I don't think the rabbits will be though 

IMG_0099.jpg

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, pav said:

Great but iv got to crank the dial to max with them and it's on 2 with the air arms but they are heavier my grouping are no were near as good as yours mind

What FPS are you running yours at Allan with AA's ?

I have a few different pellets including H&N which was not in the same league as JSB and although the Heavy is very popular in the US, they didn't compare with the AA. You have the perfect opportunity Mitch with your 100yd shed to really establish performance without wind effect, not that I am envious................not fcuking much......

If you want a few different pellets, let me know and I will sort some for you.

Mine is running at 47fpe at full power but as my Combro doesn't like fac speeds, I don't know what fps she is running at. I need to see about a new chrono at some point.

Phil

• Like 1

I am very happy with AA's and today tested JSB 25.3 gr ,I would say JSB just may edge it at the moment in the X barrel , I will be testing again tomorrow I will be taking the day off for it . I think I deserve a day off we have worked 12 hour days for the past 7 weeks 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Rabid said:

I've got a fair selection of .25 if you want, but sounds like you tried the usual suspects already and pat has sorted the heavies.

i find the lighter jsb are favourite.

I think you are right about lighter JSB  

• Like 1