Windows to mac computer system

We are considering a new computer.  the one we have is old and getting slow and incompatible.  just started to have a look at what to replace with.  Talk about jumping into a swimming pool of marshmallow.  the more I read the more confused I am getting.  Has anyone been using windows and then changed over to Mac ?  or use one at home and the other at work ?  whats the info?  I understand that windows 10 is on the way out and there aren't going to be anymore versions of windows and that it is going to be a sort of rolling change model.  help anyone.

Mac is far superior as an OS.

I've had windows all my days about a year and a half ago, I went with the new Macbook. Only thing is you can't upgrade them like a normal laptop.

If you really want to go proper and know what you're doing, get a top of the range laptop and install Linux ;)

All depends on what you need it to do.

• Like 3

I would never go back to Windows as long as can afford Apple. Had an old Mac book since I think 2009 never let us down. In fact its still going, just bought another off my lad as he was updating. He a designer would not use any thing else. Its just the cost of Apple stuff that puts people off and you can't blame them for that.

Cheers Arry

Mrs and I had a bit of time spare this afternoon so we went into pcworld to have a look at what they'd got. Whilst in there we spoke with three different assistants. They were helpful and we learnt a lot.  First assistant was young lad that was a bit lacking in confidence about what he was selling. Second assistant was a thin greying old boy that gave the impression that we had to buy today because the one with a couple of hundred knocked off was the last computer left in the world and he was off to another store tomorrow.  ( poor them ?). He didnt have much product knowledge because he told me that a usb-c socket was a card reader socket ! If I were his boss I'd send him of out the back to fold up the scrap cardboard boxes !  As we were on our way out we lòoked at the two macs that they had and assistant number three came to chat with us. This bloke was in a different league.  He knew what the machine would do and turned it inside out for us. He spoke with knowledge and authority, demonstrating what it would do and how to stear it. It takes a lot to impress me but this is where I think we are going. Just got to absorb all of the available knowledge. Theyre considerably more expensive than the windows models but thats not to much of a concern to me. Keep posting if youve got any preference or Info on them.

• Like 1

I’ve got the 27” 5k iMac don’t really understand all the specs and stuff but it kicks the shit out of any windows PCs I’ve ever owned. It works well with my iPhone and the iPad and is great for editing videos and photo’s other than that I don’t really do anything else on it ?

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Terry Ermann said:

I’ve got the 27” 5k iMac don’t really understand all the specs and stuff but it kicks the shit out of any windows PCs I’ve ever owned. It works well with my iPhone and the iPad and is great for editing videos and photo’s other than that I don’t really do anything else on it ?

Yea Terry.Thats a good thing with Mac's the iPhone and pad talks to the Mac book very comparable.

Cheers Arry

1 hour ago, Terry Ermann said:

That's the model we looked at. It is an impressive piece of kit. The screen clarity and resolution were superb . Obviously there is a bit of difference between the windows platform and the Mac system. How easily did you convert over? Have you had any technical issues with the machine and had to contact Apple tech about it?  The wife is an addicted game player so she is pleased with it's performance.

14 hours ago, Meece said:

That's the model we looked at. It is an impressive piece of kit. The screen clarity and resolution were superb . Obviously there is a bit of difference between the windows platform and the Mac system. How easily did you convert over? Have you had any technical issues with the machine and had to contact Apple tech about it?  The wife is an addicted game player so she is pleased with it's performance.

Once you grasp it, Mac OS is far more intuitive to use. The worst for me is being used to windows functions being in the top right corner of a window and on Mac it's the top left lol. So not all that masssive a change. Any questions on how to do something, literally pop it into Google and you'll get your instructions. 

Couple of pointers; 

Never ever use Safari or QuickTime they are shit compared to free competitors like Mozilla and VLC for example.

You can link direct to a cloud account (Google Drive, Icloud etc) my advice is to do this, as it makes opening photos and storing edited files so much easier. Don't do a mirror snapshot, as this will copy everything in your cloud account onto your Mac, killing your memory.

Update as little as possible. Turn off auto update and whenever you are asked to restart for updates tell it to fuuck off until the next day and continue with that. Only update when you know for certain 1. It's a final version, not a beta or a first release. 2. It's critical to your system and 3. Apple love to release newer versions of their OS (cougar, mountain lion etc) never switch to the newest release right away. Guaranteed some smart bast@rds will find the glitches and Apple will have to release patches etc. It's easier to switch when they have perfected it, instead of patching up an OS that's killing your processing power/making you vulnerable to attacks etc.

Thanks very much for those pointers. I'm  reasonably computer literate but it is these sort of things that are learnt the hard way or by some good soul giving pointers. Do they do a .... Mac for dummies ? Or is there another source of Mac wisdom ?

EDIT .... I failed to take the advice about googling for info.  Its all there.  It's  just me thats dummy.  ??? thanks again.

Edited by Meece

Whilst just getting my head around the systems it has  become really apparent that their are a lot of really head bent people out there.  The amount of looney Ralph's that there are. Like the Guberment  ( big brother ) is there listening to and watching what you do, say and think. Some have gone right off on one so much so that it is obvious that if there are people like that out there then the men in white coats should be dispatched immediately to go and round these Ralph's up. If the system is monitoring what I am doing then they ain't sending me any information about using a new system. Also I  could save the system time by advising it/them that I quite like slim, athletic, short haired brunettes with hour glass figures, pierced nipples and a  nice arse. I don't expect the system will oblige me with either. Oh and I  like spaniels. No doubt the Ralph's will be shaķing their heads about my willingness to divulge this criticaĺ information to the system. Id better go and prepair my bug out bag ready to take to the woods.