Sir David Attenborough on Overpopulation

I was about to say that 1st world societies tend to stabilise as base urges to reproduce and have families become less prioritised for other things like career and travel etc. But then he basically covered it at the end.

Our mad persuit of growth is IMO our greatest threat. But importantly increasing consumption isn’t the only source of growth and this is something often misunderstood. There are two mechanisms for growth, increased consumption AND optimisation through R&D. The economy doesn’t have to crash just because we stop this ‘endless’ consumption.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

there should be a 2 child policy across the board in every country

Not going to happen,islam and Catholicism for starters,plus 3'rd world "I must have 10 kids to look after me in my old age" mentality,thats the crux of overpopulation however simplistic it seems.

• Like 6
17 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Problem is we encourage the thick and lazy to breed. Those that work hard and the most intelligent are having less kids. For the first time in the history of life on the planet we are reversing natural selection. 

Now that hits the nail on the head for me! Dog breeders* & plant breeders breed for the best, humans on the other hand don’t 

*excluding the scum that humans have bred that breed only for money, this shows the vicious circle well

1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

Problem is we encourage the thick and lazy to breed. Those that work hard and the most intelligent are having less kids. For the first time in the history of life on the planet we are reversing natural selection. 

Typed out this and then the site 404 error f****d me..... again! So had to add it as a picture. Sorry.

Untitled.png

Edited by Born Hunter

The whole population of the entire earth can reside in texas with there own patch of land to grow food.

Theres 52 states in north america alone, theres plenty of room for everyone.

The earth is not overpopulated, its the distribution of wealth an  food thats the problem, but is it a problem?

I dont get why people feel the need to tell others your family has to be limited?

The earth an its resources are there to be used responsibly, just because theres scumbags in the world doesnt mean other people have to stop having children.

We'll do nootin to the earth because of the population, the earth is immense an will sort things out itself.

53 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

If you think the Earth will sort out the mess man as a whole has created for the betterment of good people your very naive .

The world is over populated 

If it wasn't it would not be in the state it's in.

Rainforsets ' the lungs of the planet are getting cut down at alarming rates.

Run of the mill forests have all but disappeared .

The Ocean and its eco system is all but FOOKED and littered with plastic.

Most Great mammals and other animals with only decades to go before extinction.

Even your humble British flura and fauna disappearing at alarming rates.

The Planet is on a knife edge and it's us Humans that's got it this way.

Good post max, very depressing though

the undeveloped world keep breeding like rats and the developed world think that they can just keep consuming with no consequences. We're all living to a time scale the the way things are going

49 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

It's a sad state of affairs when humans no matter what level of society in what ever part of the World we live can only think of SELF when deep down they know  it's Fooking it up for us all in the long run.

Its pure Greed ' humans are acting like parasites.

You cannot eat or drink money .

Yes mate we are very backwards and arrogant to the basics of life and living. Everything has limits and everything can be used up exhausted. Our success at problem solving and developing will ultimately be our downfall 

On 19/09/2018 at 22:22, maxhardcore said:

Well as horrible as it sounds as it's heartbreaking to see kids suffer but all foreign aid should stop.

Then dangle them a carrot if they keep their population below x t z ect

The carrot being engineering and horticultural expertise re irrigation and growing your own food successfully for sustanance.

Something needs to be done or nature will most prob reck havoc across the board.

fair point max, ive always said   the 3rd world countries  where they have Drought  and it kill lot of them, same as the floods in India   etc that that kill loads , it just nature way of controlling   there population  there. i think as  well when you see it all on the tv , it hardens you to it, well it dos me i not shocked by it no  more .  some thing got to crack in time , the world over populated , and we all living longer  , used to be 70 years of age  now  people go good 10 years longer .

25 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Could be a nuclear war

It could be a world wide famine or blight on the scale Wev never seen before We only have 2 weeks worth of food stocks .

It could be Ebola or SARS type virus that wipes folk out it days . That spreads across the planet.

One thing for certain' it will happen if population control measures are not implicated .

And they need to be across the board.

No cop outs for Royalty ' Governments ' Rich or Famous.

A two child policy is very fair imo.

everyone of them could be possible in my opinion max.

without sounding like a disaster nut job.i think the 1 thing that will easily wipe the earth clean of life will be another meteor strike.and theres nothing man can do against 1 of them incoming.a sterile earth plunged into a frozen planet.devoid of all life.except maybe bacteria around them vents at the bottom of the ocean.

who knows the future is impossible to predict.

7 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

So for the ones that are saying we are ruining the world, what do you think will be the end game or when will it come to a head and what will happen when it does?

I personally don’t think it’ll end us. We will find solutions for every threat. But what it will do is leave a world sterile of anything worth doing. Just concrete and industry. Boring as f**k!