How often to feed

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In that case I'm going to feed 1 day and fast for 6.

I can’t see that the feed skip day being of any use to a dog that’s actually worked once fat resources have gone it don’t take long in Lurchers or nearly gone the body will crave a substance to make e

Once a day 9pm every night for the 2 cripples if I’m taking the young un out she gets half her daily weight portion mid day then the other half after we’ve lamped but only done that the few trips she’

1 hour ago, lurcherman 887 said:

You know they say you can only truthally tell if your dog is healthy by tasting there shit it has to be the first shit they do after a meal and it must be fresh. Steaming if possible. Do you still keep a couple slices of bread with you on a walk ?

allways have a few fresh slices in the donkey jacket pocket just incase the dog drops a warm suprise for me 

• Haha 1

Im sure everybody has their own ideas ,but all 25 of my rabbit dogs work 6 /7 hours a day ,some times 6 days in a row,so they need fed and fed the right food.I give them a big feed every second night & the nights between feeds they get a meaty bone .These dogs are housed in out door kennels ,this system has worked well for me over the years and it suits me .Im lucky ,my feeding food bill is only small change and only when i have weaned pups ,I raid the local butchers shop drums twice a week ,where all the trimed waste bones and unwanted trimings go ,at times its sheep meat waste ,another day it might  be pork or beef,I have the set up to keep it ,so i can feed a good number of dogs quickly ,each dog gets a taylor made amount that it requires without gaining weight when its hot and and be in  good shape coming into the winter .I don t like to see the hip pin bones showing ,a thin dog wont last the day .

Edited by toolebox
spelling
13 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

I remember reading about captive wolves that were given a day per week without food as a trial, the results came back as being not so good as had they been fed everyday, cannot imagine an active animal or human benefiting from having no fuel for a day given the choice

Its natural for wolves to make a kill and they eat as much as they can as quickly as they can ,before  a bear gets wind of a free feed .Then the pack may not make another kill for several days ,its natures way of balancing her self ,if the predators killed on every hunt & bred up in numbers they would simply run out of game to hunt ,dogs are in fact wolves we humans have bred down ,so I base my feeding system on that ,even with my ferrets ,I make sure they clean up what they have and then I wait a short period.

10 hours ago, king said:

and i like to give him a treat twice a week.he has a tin off possum.once a week. and a tin of unicorn meat once a week it's an excellent source of sparkles and the dog is flying.

Image result for unicorn meat    

Image result for unicorn meat 

check out the sparkles in that BN if that's not top quality grub then i dont know what is

Next level that 

Its future 

5 hours ago, toolebox said:

Its natural for wolves to make a kill and they eat as much as they can as quickly as they can ,before  a bear gets wind of a free feed .Then the pack may not make another kill for several days ,its natures way of balancing her self ,if the predators killed on every hunt & bred up in numbers they would simply run out of game to hunt ,dogs are in fact wolves we humans have bred down ,so I base my feeding system on that ,even with my ferrets ,I make sure they clean up what they have and then I wait a short period.

I understand wild wolves not getting a set daily feed time, but given the choice I couldn't imagine them turning it down

• Like 1