RIP Enzo Calzaghe

12 minutes ago, jiggy said:

Joe is one of the best boxers ever to live. I often wonder why he never gained the respect he was entitled too. Undefeated and every bit as good as floyd mayweather.

exactly, only because he didnt chase it in america.  joe is up there with the all time greats and deservedly so

25 minutes ago, socks said:

Surprised he has died at 69 he was a fit little fukcer .... used to see him often running Joe around the hills where I used to live .......

I worked in  newbridge around 30 years back when they had a little corrugated tin shed at the side of the road for a gym,small world innit 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lenmcharristar said:

exactly, only because he didnt chase it in america.  joe is up there with the all time greats and deservedly so

I think the jewel in joes crown was Jeff left hook lacy, he was billed as the next Mike Tyson and the yanks thought he was in for an easy night but calzagie took him to school and spanked his arse for 12 rounds, Nigel Ben probably my favourite fighter in that division I loved is all or nothing approach ?

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Greyman said:

I think the jewel in joes crown was Jeff left hook lacy, he was billed as the next Mike Tyson and the yanks thought he was in for an easy night but calzagie took him to school and spanked his arse for 12 rounds, Nigel Ben probably my favourite fighter in that division I loved is all or nothing approach ?

i watched that fight and what a lesson lacey got. yes benn was a human pit dawg no doubt about it. but joe was a class above the rest. even when he fought hopkins the yanks said he beat a washed up fighter who still dominated that division for yrs after joe beat him. joe is up there with marciano and mayweather. 

• Like 2

Undefeated 2 Weight World Champion 21 defences 46/0 

Calzaghe is the longest-reigning super-middleweight world champion in boxing history to date, having held the WBO title for over 10 years and making 21 successful defences (the most in super-middleweight history) before moving up to light-heavyweight. As his super-middleweight and light-heavyweight reigns overlapped, he retired with the longest continual time as world champion of any active fighter. He was also the first boxer to unify three of the four major world titles (WBA, WBC, and WBO) at super-middleweight.