no recall

my 2 dogs a beddy/whippet and a whippet/beddy/collie. have no recall at all now.

where it wasn't great but workable... i have just recovered from  angioplasty op

on my legs and starting to walk them again myself. last night they just took off when we got back to the truck and 

were gone for 45mins. they have been taken out for walks by the wife after work for a hour round the local park,

but she did not let them off. any ideas chaps..?

1 hour ago, samuria said:

my 2 dogs a beddy/whippet and a whippet/beddy/collie. have no recall at all now.

where it wasn't great but workable... i have just recovered from  angioplasty op

on my legs and starting to walk them again myself. last night they just took off when we got back to the truck and 

were gone for 45mins. they have been taken out for walks by the wife after work for a hour round the local park,

Kick the b*****d s

• Haha 1

Dogs are terrible for copying one another especially bad habits an what there doing is far more interesting than what your doing so they don’t see no point in recall back to you when called plus if it pissed you off there not coming back to you they feed of that energy.....you need to use the gay Batman voice no mater how much of a clown you feel useing it or get the treats on the go??Failing that give one of them leads that everyone hates a crack one of them expendable ones then a treat as a reward something like chicken or lamb or tin hot dog sausage give it a crack you have nothing to loose 

2B5D0C27-3524-49AD-B1C3-4B9A7F85D135.jpeg

29 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Only thing them extendy leads are good for is throwing over a fcuking hedge, if needed use a long line they can drag behind them but you can stand on or grab if ye need to, but that’s going way back to basics imo an I doubt that will be needed if you treat each dog as an individual until you got them under control

haha  over the hedge   like it   lol ,  like you said on the other page  , one to one dog , then the same with the other, once there responding   then try the 2 dogs together . funny thing  i was talking to bloke who only keeps beddy and beddyxs , he told me you never get that response to recall, like you get with your herding xs  you have now, Bryn always   quick recall, and Buck  as well , ok when he sees or scents  his quarry  he piss off , but rather have that  than a dog not really trying . he right really on the beddyxs  ,  when i thought about , my dogs  never really take there eyes off me ,  where his dogs hardly  looked at him   when we were walking the dogs.? 

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Only thing them extendy leads are good for is throwing over a fcuking hedge, if needed use a long line they can drag behind them but you can stand on or grab if ye need to, but that’s going way back to basics imo an I doubt that will be needed if you treat each dog as an individual until you got them under control

As dog shit as them extendable leads are they are ideal for the job of basic recall at a starting point they can be retracted far quicker than manual using of a long line they make sense if used properly by using one I don’t mean let the dog feck off to the full extent then try a recall so the dog charges about like a dickhead intangeling it’s self or burning hocks on the cord

1 hour ago, bird said:

haha  over the hedge   like it   lol ,  like you said on the other page  , one to one dog , then the same with the other, once there responding   then try the 2 dogs together . funny thing  i was talking to bloke who only keeps beddy and beddyxs , he told me you never get that response to recall, like you get with your herding xs  you have now, Bryn always   quick recall, and Buck  as well , ok when he sees or scents  his quarry  he piss off , but rather have that  than a dog not really trying . he right really on the beddyxs  ,  when i thought about , my dogs  never really take there eyes off me ,  where his dogs hardly  looked at him   when we were walking the dogs.? 

Bird I call bull shit on the bedlington x lack of recall if trained recall is as good as any dog I’ve trained 3 bedlington xs and collie xs now all have had a good recall the poorest was my old bedlington whippet 

2 hours ago, bird said:

One blokes opinion don't mean Jack,got one here bang on recall, wouldn't have it any other way, bit of a sweeping statement eh lol 

Edited by Jackknife
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, Jackknife said:

One blokes opinion don't mean Jack,got one here bang on recall, wouldn't have it any other way, bit of a sweeping statement eh lol 

One man said it so it’s got to be true jackknife ??more than likely a guy who ain’t got a clue how to train what is basic requirements are so blames the type as it’s easily to blame a dog that can’t speak wonder how is dogs are at retrieving ?

I have only had 2 beddy xs both had good recall one could head strong at times when she was younger if I was you buddy I would take one out at a time and see if you can find a enclosed car park or something similar a unit maybe smaller the better were there will be no other dogs and next to no scent to distract it and just work  on your recall just don't over do it make yourself fun to be with give treats if you want make a fuss even take a ball and bounce it to get there attention  you have more chance being centre of attention on a place like that a park full of dogs running round and scent everywhere 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, samuria said:

I would believe that one is f***ing off and one is following, forget about any training at home it’s a totally different mindset , it’s the energised mind set of the lead dog you need to work with, 

you don’t say how long those two have been together or what vintage ?

• Like 2