Midland

fred90

just back from the midland first show since about 1990.it gave me a chance to see basket quickset in the flesh.looked at master hunters stand.fxxk me look like skiing poles.saw a few more but the bulk & size of poles will never be for me.got be traditional. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, fred90 said:

just back from the midland first show since about 1990.it gave me a chance to see basket quickset in the flesh.looked at master hunters stand.fxxk me look like skiing poles.saw a few more but the bulk & size of poles will never be for me.got be traditional. 

fred90 I was on the stand knitting away all weekend .did you speak to Alan? because Im certain he would of let you handle both the nets and the poles. I was impressed by the lightness and strentgh of the poles they are pretensile tapered tubes with a solid 3" ss point drawn into the bottom of the pole. any comment on his gate nets?

2 minutes ago, Leeview said:

fred90 I was on the stand knitting away all weekend .did you speak to Alan? because Im certain he would of let you handle both the nets and the poles. I was impressed by the lightness and strentgh of the poles they are pretensile tapered tubes with a solid 3" ss point drawn into the bottom of the pole. any comment on his gate nets?

i am in no way questioning the quality or presentation of the kit.being of the older generation night netting to me has always been about discretion if you know what i mean.i can't see me ever changing from traditional. no offence was intended.

• Like 3

Thank You fred, unfortunately todays market veers to quick sets making experts in longnetting, did you come in and see my longnets? hung up waiting for the top and bottom lines (which were done over the weekend) the amount of visitors that commented on  the nets proved there are still some dedicated long netters about . my nets are made end to end by hand NOT sheet netting using linen from the footwear and saddlery  makers, mainly Barbours Lisburn N.I. i get regularly comments about it will rot like hemp, Dr Marten soles never fell of or saddles fall apart. Any way Good Luck fred

43 minutes ago, Leeview said:

Thank You fred, unfortunately todays market veers to quick sets making experts in longnetting, did you come in and see my longnets? hung up waiting for the top and bottom lines (which were done over the weekend) the amount of visitors that commented on  the nets proved there are still some dedicated long netters about . my nets are made end to end by hand NOT sheet netting using linen from the footwear and saddlery  makers, mainly Barbours Lisburn N.I. i get regularly comments about it will rot like hemp, Dr Marten soles never fell of or saddles fall apart. Any way Good Luck fred

yes i handled those hanging up & i must confess i thought it was hemp.how many yards of net was it?

i was always taught hand knitted nets are superior to sheet netting. i only have 1 hand knitted net rest are sheet made.this is down to availability & price. hand knitted are very hard to obtain & no one is going to sell for a similar price as sheet made.the amount of work gone into them they wont come cheap.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, fred90 said:

yes i handled those hanging up & i must confess i thought it was hemp.how many yards of net was it?

The green net is 70yds and braided linen. the white undyed net is 6strand and 45 yds. and the black waxed linen will be around 40yds I did have others but 3 was enough to keep my eyes on

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Leeview said:

The green net is 70yds and braided linen. the white undyed net is 6strand and 45 yds. and the black waxed linen will be around 40yds I did have others but 3 was enough to keep my eyes on

Out of intrest do you think the linen is better than other twines available? 

Having not seen it I am curious.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, smithie said:

Out of intrest do you think the linen is better than other twines available? 

Having not seen it I am curious.

• Ive been enthusing over it for a long time and yes I do think its better imho, but when other renowned net makers have seen these nets they are very complimentary about the quality of the material and the nets made from it .Price wise you can get cheaper material for making nets but like most things you get what you pay for. the most frequently asked question i get asked do you have to look after it as you would hemp? simplest answer is Did you ever have a sole drop of a pair of Dr Martens?
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

How do the linen nets hang when on the pin ? Are they bulky like a hemp ?

they hang well on the pins some bulkier than others, I have 6strand S twist. 6strand braided various waxed linens and some 10 strand  all hold on a single knot

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Leeview said:
  • Ive been enthusing over it for a long time and yes I do think its better imho, but when other renowned net makers have seen these nets they are very complimentary about the quality of the material and the nets made from it .Price wise you can get cheaper material for making nets but like most things you get what you pay for. the most frequently asked question i get asked do you have to look after it as you would hemp? simplest answer is Did you ever have a sole drop of a pair of Dr Martens?

Glad you found a twine your happy with ?. Its Engles twine for me on a hand made net if I'm going To to the trouble.

But I do have a very nice handmade net that was gifted to me by albert64, I don't know were the twine is from nor do I remember what it is but it seems to hold as well as anything else I used