No getting out of paying for GP fees anymore

11 hours ago, Rabid said:

I raised this on here last year I think it was, From memory I think it was Notts chief constable on the tv about it, (gut feeling says it was something on countryfile about coursing)saying it would be an instant refusal if you didn't pay.

Personally, it's not the money thing that bothers me, although I guess it will affect some folk, it's the fact they are making up there own laws, if it was brought in as law, and every county ran from the same rule book, I wouldn't have a problem, what I don't like is each county having a different set of rules to suit whatever they choose, I've said it before, too many grey areas on this subject that are open to interpretation, I like stuff in black and white.

It was Lincolnshire, it seems others are beginning to follow. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They just want to pass the "assumption" onto the doctors. Last year I refused to pay my doctor for a report. I visited him and said that I am meeting my legal requirements so he didn't send a rep

No of course it wouldn’t, that’s what I’m saying, it all started with one chief constable, no one questioned it, or challenged it, or took it through the legal channels, others forces have obviously b

Upon what law does plod base this idea on?  Is it the usual make it up they go along syndrome?  Anyway when I  go to the doctors I  hardly ever see the same one  so how can they give a Balanced  opini

6 minutes ago, Rimfireboy! said:

It was Lincolnshire, it seems others are beginning to follow. 

You are indeed correct, it was Lincs, and no surprise other forces are following suit, I can see every force going the same way, which would make sense, if it was a legal requirement as opposed to certain officers wish.

47 minutes ago, Rabid said:

You are indeed correct, it was Lincs, and no surprise other forces are following suit, I can see every force going the same way, which would make sense, if it was a legal requirement as opposed to certain officers wish.

Other forces following suit wouldn't make it a legal requirement though. It would just be jumping on the bandwagon.

42 minutes ago, walshie said:

Other forces following suit wouldn't make it a legal requirement though. It would just be jumping on the bandwagon.

No of course it wouldn’t, that’s what I’m saying, it all started with one chief constable, no one questioned it, or challenged it, or took it through the legal channels, others forces have obviously been watching and seen no resistance, and are starting to implement it, I can see why, but I don’t agree until it’s been passed as an act in parliament.

The great British public are like sheep and follow unquestioningly, I also don’t see why the groups who are supposed to be our voice are not standing up and creating a fuss about it.

All it takes is one man with balls (and a good barrister) to take this into court and set a precident.

• Like 5
On 16/09/2018 at 11:27, Rabid said:

The great British public are like sheep and follow unquestioningly, I also don’t see why the groups who are supposed to be our voice are not standing up and creating a fuss about it.

All it takes is one man with balls (and a good barrister) to take this into court and set a precident.

And thats why basc is a waste of time.  This should have ben vigourojsly challenged right  from  the off. Alĺ they think about  is not rocking the boat. Instead of doing what they're employed to do. The chief constables should fear the name. It's  pathetic. And if there is anyone on here that represents basc , I  invite them to step up to the plate and explain why this is happening and what they are doing about it.

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 09:42, Gav said:

Sacs have been fighting this for a while now! If wanted to work back at sea I'd need to pay a GP for my medical same with wagon drivers. I'm lucky mine doesn't charge yet, but if he did I'd just pay it, about £25 I heard, its just another way for them to make money, but like the British always do, roll over and take it think of England ?

It's annoying that nhs GPs are a business rather than a service these days. The wife had to pay £60 to her GP when her mum died to get her holiday money back from the insurance as a death certificate isn't proof. We're been swindled at every post, but we sit and take it. 

So, what exactly have SACS achieved, and in the politest possible way, what have YOU done about it other than rolling over, asking to be shafted and paid?

Edited by Deker

I'm still not sure what the OP is actually saying?

Isn't the OP exactly where we are now, if the police want more then they verify it with the GP, why does that mean we have to pay?

Edited by Deker
On 16/09/2018 at 11:27, Rabid said:

No of course it wouldn’t, that’s what I’m saying, it all started with one chief constable, no one questioned it, or challenged it, or took it through the legal channels, others forces have obviously been watching and seen no resistance, and are starting to implement it, I can see why, but I don’t agree until it’s been passed as an act in parliament.

I spoke to the BASC and they say they're fighting this currently.

What it really needs is for someone to challenge it in Court but then again, that's what the Police rely on in my opinion, the lack of funds of those applying and the fact they're only guidelines. What's really needed is for the Guidelines not to be Guidelines but legally binding rules on every force. 

This would stop all this cr*p once and for all. I can't think of any other area of law, when the bodies affected by it can just make up their own rules as and when they like and get away with it.

2 hours ago, Deker said:

So, what exactly have SACS achieved, and in the politest possible way, what have YOU done about it other than rolling over, asking to be shafted and paid?

All I know is what they put on thier website, Shane foxgun Tom not about still bet he'd know. 

I did say I'd just pay it! If I wanted to go back to sea I'd have to pay too, no getting out of it and it's only a couple of hundred quid so not expensive is it, I've got a rifle alone worth £1400. 

On the BASC website...

Notts, which currently has responsibility for around 10,000 licences, has amended their policy in line with changes made by police in Lincolnshire, Kent and Merseyside.

This is despite current Home Office guidance stating that if a police force does not receive a response to their initial request for medical information from an applicant’s GP, they should assume there are no medical issues and grant a licence.

BASC is requesting meetings with the Chief Constable of Notts Police, Craig Gilford, and the force’s Police and Crime Commissioner, Paddy Tipping, to raise concerns about the policy change. The UK’s largest shooting organisation is also writing to the county’s 11 MPs.

Christopher Graffius, BASC’s executive director of communications and public affairs, said: “BASC wants an efficient, cost-effective and robust system of firearms licensing that protects public safety and provides excellent service to the shooting community. We believe that is best provided by police forces following the agreed protocols laid down by the Home Office.

“We will be asking Nottinghamshire Police why it has not consulted with the 10,000 firearm and shotgun certificate holders who will be impacted by this change in policy.

“We also want to raise our fears that GPs will not be consistent in the fees they may charge for medical checks and we want assurances that a system will be put in place to ensure GPs put an encoded reminder on certificate holders’ medical notes in case medical issues arise during the life of the certificate.”

BASC is also writing to all of its members in Nottinghamshire to highlight the change in policy and to encourage them to contact their MP.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Jarvis said:

On the BASC website...

Notts, which currently has responsibility for around 10,000 licences, has amended their policy in line with changes made by police in Lincolnshire, Kent and Merseyside.

This is despite current Home Office guidance stating that if a police force does not receive a response to their initial request for medical information from an applicant’s GP, they should assume there are no medical issues and grant a licence.

BASC is requesting meetings with the Chief Constable of Notts Police, Craig Gilford, and the force’s Police and Crime Commissioner, Paddy Tipping, to raise concerns about the policy change. The UK’s largest shooting organisation is also writing to the county’s 11 MPs.

Christopher Graffius, BASC’s executive director of communications and public affairs, said: “BASC wants an efficient, cost-effective and robust system of firearms licensing that protects public safety and provides excellent service to the shooting community. We believe that is best provided by police forces following the agreed protocols laid down by the Home Office.

“We will be asking Nottinghamshire Police why it has not consulted with the 10,000 firearm and shotgun certificate holders who will be impacted by this change in policy.

“We also want to raise our fears that GPs will not be consistent in the fees they may charge for medical checks and we want assurances that a system will be put in place to ensure GPs put an encoded reminder on certificate holders’ medical notes in case medical issues arise during the life of the certificate.”

BASC is also writing to all of its members in Nottinghamshire to highlight the change in policy and to encourage them to contact their MP.

The above link does shed a bit of light on the situation but ..   What a load of Wooly headed, subserviant nonsense. Total groveling.  The chief constable is really going to be worried by that. And what are they doing in the other counties that are pulling this stunt. They shouldn't even bother with the chief constables because thats like the sheep requesting a meeting with the wolf to raise concerns about the fact that the wolf is going to chew the sheeps bits. Pathetic. They shouldn't be requesting anything, they should be having a real crack at the minister and demanding that the chief constables follow the rules and not make it up as they go along. How much this is useless is demonstrated by the fact that the chief constable of Merseyside won't correspond with them anymore.  Rant.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2
On 14/09/2018 at 14:40, Meece said:

Upon what law does plod base this idea on?

If there isn't a law how can it be enforced?! I'm hoping that if anyone has a ticket refused they'll immediately seek legal advice??

Just out of curiosity has anyone dealt with an anti-doctor?

16 hours ago, Deker said:

I'm still not sure what the OP is actually saying?

Isn't the OP exactly where we are now, if the police want more then they verify it with the GP, why does that mean we have to pay?

No, up until this if your licensing authority did not receive the info requested from your GP then they assumed no reason to not issue/renew. Now however some forces have made it policy that if they do not receive the requested info from your GP they will not issue/renew your certificate.

Before, if your GP charged you, you could simply refuse to pay and everything would move forward. Now you would have to pay or lose your guns.

I think realistically if 'we' fight this it will simply escalate from a bureaucratic matter to a political one. Simply because having GP info is reasonable given the UKs general attitude towards gun ownership.

To me the issue isn't really about paying for GP info, it's about Nott's licensing dept. making another unilateral policy up when imo they shouldn't have that authority.

Again, if I was a sceptic I'd suggest this is a desperate attempt to show the public they are doing something in the face of the violent crime epidemic they're suffering!

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1