Freshwater eels

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rather like big eels proper mystery fish and as Dan said reach some impressive age to make it big, here,s a 4lb I had last year on worms, back in the early 90,s I lost what I believe would have been a

I have access to a couple of old lakes in a wood, across the road is a disused Methodist chapel and its said the vicar used to fish for eels in there, some years later a mate of the owner was fishing

I fish for eels a lot! iv been targeting them in 2 north Yorkshire lakes for the last few years and the bait to use is raw king prawn. A carefully hooked full big king prawn on a size ten on a running

Posted Images

use to use a Big bunch of garden worms on a ledger  or a small dead bait we use to get some liver or any kind of meat  put in in a bucket punch holes in the top wait till it was full of maggots put it in a onion sack go down the river Chuck the onion sack in on a long peice of rope up stream and fish it a peg or two away down stream always got eels and even big chub not sure now the weather turning if they aren't on there migration yet 

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 1

Ive caught green eels to 4lb 6oz from the river, on cockles, mussels, worms, halibut pellets lol infact most things..... Few weeks back in that warm weather we were getting a few when night fishing for barbel. Big ones are 40/60yrs old and like rocking horse shit and should be respected imo, my mates cry if they catch em. Ive found the bigger they are they dont knot up around your line like the bootlace fuckers, give a good scrap too?

• Like 5

Plenty in the lochs here but need a license to catch them now. Get plenty on the lines and in nets though, use an otter board these days to avoid the slimey horrible things. Had them over two foot long when I've netted lochs. 

We lived in Fenland around 10 years ago, and use to catch loads of them on worms or a bunch of maggots........bloody things were a nuisance !

Sadly, they're in huge decline now so, if you get one please put it back ! An old fella told that , if you catch one from fresh water, it's at least 4 years old, has swum thousands of miles and has probably even crossed a few miles of dry land !!!!

An amazing creature, that deserves our help - once again, if you get one, put it back !

• Like 4

Used to catch loads in our river, liver or worm.was best bait...

My cousin catches them in season commerciall, big money in smoked eels in fancy restaurants now...

I've got to say smoked eel is the best smoked fish I've ever eaten...traditional way was cut in chunks and fried in butter..

• Like 2

Ok great thanks for the replies, i would only catch and release if i did ever get to catch one iv caught a load of conger when on boat trips But would love to catch ine in the river whatever size it would be, any idea where i could try and catch one fairly near to the south wales valleys?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Rogue2015 said:

Ok great thanks for the replies, i would only catch and release if i did ever get to catch one iv caught a load of conger when on boat trips But would love to catch ine in the river whatever size it would be, any idea where i could try and catch one fairly near to the south wales valleys?

I don't know about nowadays, but we used to reckon any water pretty much held them, we found the deeper rivers that were slower moving the best bet, big lob worm ledgered at night.

They give a good account of themselves if you find a reasonable size one.

• Like 1

Used to fish the River Dart in brackish water on the big tides in September, we would get some crackers. I was told or read and think its true that the big ones are come down river to the sea then, then travel right across the Atlantic to the Sargasso Sea to spawn. Top bait was peeler crab, a lot of guys would not waste peelers on eels but back then I had 500 of my own peeler pots and were never short.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2