Midland

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ELECTRIC ????   soft cnut!!!

That seems a lifetime ago Greyman,..but, I do remember the guy with the big old jukels...lots of crazy characters around back then...? I was privileged to Judge lurchers at both The Welsh and The

If anybody fancies an offliner I'll be at the lurcher section between 11 and 12 soaking my hands in petril.

2 hours ago, mackem said:

I remember going to a terrier and lurcher show in the late 1980's in Durham somewhere,saw three separate fights during the afternoon,two at ringside one outside the beer tent :laugh:

lololol the same thing happened when the ballywalter show was moved to ards air field the year of the foot n mouth controls, beating the shite out of eachother over a terrier race lolol looked like a scene from bum fights with a couple of piss heads, the tears of laughter was running down my face

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, Greyman said:

Army surplus dmp for me mate but I was with the family so wearing normal civi,s, I enjoyed the birds of prey, the resident pigeons were getting a bit sketchie and a few times the bop got distracted, think it was better the later in the day it got, by 4 the crowds were thinning and the stalls were starting to flog off a lot of stuff they did,nt want to take home, think next year I,ll just wander over for the last couple of hours,  it's also hard to get a beer and a pie in the three shoes on show weekend which I enjoy when I,m in Frampton Usually,  was that you in the private gin tent with the master of hounds and rollie Clifford ?

Gin tent !!! Rollo !!! Not me . ? I help out on the NGO tent and have done for a few years now . Funnily enough they asked me to help out at the midland , I said I’d make it up on the Sunday. Well I haven’t been to the midland for 20 or so years , can’t really compare it now because back then I spent most of the time watching the terrier and Lurcher show . But I had a look around yesterday and thought it was good , but then I’m comparing it to Frampton show . I can’t go to the Game fair because as that time of year I’m too busy . Lots of shooting stuff , guns , clothing , accessories. I went and watched the terrier judging Champion of champions as well . Sunday was apparently quiter than Saturday though. 

1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

Gin tent !!! Rollo !!! Not me . ? I help out on the NGO tent and have done for a few years now . Funnily enough they asked me to help out at the midland , I said I’d make it up on the Sunday. Well I haven’t been to the midland for 20 or so years , can’t really compare it now because back then I spent most of the time watching the terrier and Lurcher show . But I had a look around yesterday and thought it was good , but then I’m comparing it to Frampton show . I can’t go to the Game fair because as that time of year I’m too busy . Lots of shooting stuff , guns , clothing , accessories. I went and watched the terrier judging Champion of champions as well . Sunday was apparently quiter than Saturday though. 

Excuse my ignorance what's NGO we may have even talked in the past,, for the older generation back in the days when fist fights were common place at the beer tents probably around the late 80s can anyone remember a little stocky bloke with one eye and a pair of deerhounds, he seemed to be at every show any were you went in the country, recon Phil Lloyd would remember him 

22 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Excuse my ignorance what's NGO we may have even talked in the past,, for the older generation back in the days when fist fights were common place at the beer tents probably around the late 80s can anyone remember a little stocky bloke with one eye and a pair of deerhounds, he seemed to be at every show any were you went in the country, recon Phil Lloyd would remember him 

National Gamekeepers Organisation greyman , there is usually three of us in the tent . I try and sign up new members, have a natter to people and make tea and coffee. 

1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

Frampton gone down hill massively in my opinion .Never the same since a women judged the terriers .

a blind women would be better than that stupid old twat who judged this year it never been the same since it moved from under the trees ,now the whippet club run it , its to kc originated dogs got knocked out this year for having working marks / scares  

• Like 1

I used to enjoy showing my dogs , it’s a bit of fun . Not to be taken too seriously . Haven’t bothered taking mine for a few years now . If it’s a working terrier or Lurcher show , a few marks should not count against it . Nor should they be taken as a sign that it’s a worker . Any dog can go to ground once , get mauled and never want to work again . A dog should be judged purely on how it looks , nothing more . Like I said they are a bit of fun , or should be . 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Greyman said:

for the older generation back in the days when fist fights were common place at the beer tents probably around the late 80s can anyone remember a little stocky bloke with one eye and a pair of deerhounds, he seemed to be at every show any were you went in the country, recon Phil Lloyd would remember him 

That seems a lifetime ago Greyman,..but, I do remember the guy with the big old jukels...lots of crazy characters around back then...?

I was privileged to Judge lurchers at both The Welsh and The Midland shows,...massive turnout of dogs,..mostly owned by lads that worked their animals.

The Judging had to be 'fair and square', you had to be 100% straight and honest,.. or a reception committee would be patiently waiting for you on the other side of the rope...?

I've even had an unhappy punter leap the barrier and start throwing fists, over a Red Rosette.❗

Great shows, great days,...great craic,....gone forever...:clapper:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TOPPER said:

a blind women would be better than that stupid old twat who judged this year it never been the same since it moved from under the trees ,now the whippet club run it , its to kc originated dogs got knocked out this year for having working marks / scares  

Times are changing I mind not getting first with a parson Russel because it had no signs of working it was a busher ,I got second instead that was cattistock hunt probably around 2000-2001