Is it me or does everyone coming in to Lurchers only really have a interest in breeding Lurchers

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always folks buying into dreams peddled by the  dreamers..... If you haven't seen said animals graft, or can take the word of someone who has and you trust, then, only got yourself to blame imo. I got

Mine stay till they meet there maker  you return the loyalty that the dog as given you over the seasons with the great times an experiences they’ve given you. a comfy bed An bit of feed cost nowt for

The benefit in giving pups to trusted people is you can keep your line if you loose the pups you keep for your self.the harsh truth with lads moaning about shit lurchers is how many are fed on doctor

2 hours ago, C.green said:

How can you lads say about minimum 5 hard seasons n all that ? Nothing is set in stone you give your dogs enough you know if they got it or not its that simple.i know dogs that at 3/4 year old want retiring because theyve had so much hammer.

Id rather buy a pup off some of the youngsters about getting out there and filling the boot then some of the old timers that live off days gone by. 

Same with seeing parents run not allways possible nowadays is it. You ask ten people with young dogs did they see either parents go out i bet most give the same answer if there honest. All it needs is folk to be honest about what they have really and save everyone abit of hassle. 

It's a tough one, I agree you should know what the dog is about after 3 or 4 seasons... plus if the parents were going strong after 7 or so seasons that would give you an idea too...

My mate is desperate to put his 10 year old dog over my bitch, she's 4 in June and has done ok so far, the dog is a machine, I've seen it from 8 weeks old and spent the last 9 years or so watching it work, there is no doubt it deserves to sire a litter...my bitch is certainly on paper the right dog to put him over... but.... is 4 old enough?

Not that I need to ask on here, more asking myself...I don't want her to be ruined in anyway by having a litter either at her prime...but the dog will be gone soon enough....

None will be sold if I did do it (already 4 people to take a pup)..I just wouldn't jump in without weighing up all pros and cons first...age being only 1 of the considerations..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

It's a tough one, I agree you should know what the dog is about after 3 or 4 seasons... plus if the parents were going strong after 7 or so seasons that would give you an idea too...

My mate is desperate to put his 10 year old dog over my bitch, she's 4 in June and has done ok so far, the dog is a machine, I've seen it from 8 weeks old and spent the last 9 years or so watching it work, there is no doubt it deserves to sire a litter...my bitch is certainly on paper the right dog to put him over... but.... is 4 old enough?

Not that I need to ask on here, more asking myself...I don't want her to be ruined in anyway by having a litter either at her prime...but the dog will be gone soon enough....

None will be sold if I did do it (already 4 people to take a pup)..I just wouldn't jump in without weighing up all pros and cons first...age being only 1 of the considerations..

There wouldn't be as much shite around the place if people had your frame of mind mate. I totally agree with you ?

• Like 1

New kid if the dog done 10 seasons and your happy with your bitch get it mated,keep only the pups you need, 10 years is good age for working dog,I've never kept a dog wants it's working life is over got nothing against lads who's workers has well has pets just for me kennel space is for worker's only.

• Like 1

On the other side of this the best dog I've seen work took everything single handed never jacked had good coat good feet never had a serious injury usual odd cut here and there.worked hard for many seasons was put to a decent bitch all the pups went to good lads and working homes at the time I really wanted a pup off him but had more than enough dogs on so had to decline the offer.all the pups were well brought on excellent lookers  etc but all injury prone only bitch in the litter jacked on teeth and constantly had feet injury's so did a few of the dogs a dog had a dodgy back out of the 7 pups not 1 made the grade or lasted a working life ended up nice looking pets

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stumfelter said:

It's not just newbies that want breed lurchers in that way, but older people at the dogs all the life .that's just a margin of people.  So crack on, don't believe the hype and breed only for yourself when you need a dog for the future for the right reasons and don't be misled 

3 hours ago, Pirate 9000 said:

New kid if the dog done 10 seasons and your happy with your bitch get it mated,keep only the pups you need, 10 years is good age for working dog,I've never kept a dog wants it's working life is over got nothing against lads who's workers has well has pets just for me kennel space is for worker's only.

Can't believe the dog has made old bones mate tbh, but a few have seen it work and like I say I've watched it from a pup...

It's a decision for after this season, he's pretty much retired now...

had me own mutts over 40years now and not bred a litter since 1986 and doubt I ever will again ? nowt like lurcher pups to bring out every idiot around your home talking shite and wasteing your time ? anyway only use half x beddy/greys so a lot easier to buy in and saves a whole lot of hassel ?

• Like 1

It's a tricky one I have Seen seasoned dogs lined with excellent breeding behind them  and produce nothing like there parents etc yet some accidentall mating produced some good dogs me personally I wouldn't breed a litter as I haven't got anything worthy of breeding from imo there's better out there if you look hard enough but my mate has a very good bitch  with some good breeding behind her very up and at them running style i don't think she is the sort to make old bones he didn't line this time and even he says she might not be here next year so he might of missed out  on her but who's to say she will produce there's a lot of thought that must go in to a litter than just chucking to dogs together that have had a couple of good night's but that doesn't always seem the case and it's not always young lads 

• Like 1

I think a lot has to do with lads not wanting to run bitches on, the same with terriers so they settle for mediocre bitches to breed from , I’ve had bitches here that friends have asked me to take a litter from but I thought they weren’t good enough but looking back they definitely were and should have been bred, it’s only when their gone and you try and replace em that you realise what you had.

• Like 2
On 13/09/2018 at 14:45, Pirate 9000 said:

So what do you do with your dogs once their working life is over?,  genuine question .