Helicopter Hunting in Africa with a Barrett Rifle???

Ha. Fair enough. There is a raging debate going on another board where members equate shooting from a helicopter to shooting a bow out of a blind. Well, is it the fieldcraft or marksmanship, or a combination of the two I guess.  Shooting running targets from a moving platform (alt, heading, pitch, etc) using a scoped bolt action isn't exactly easy. I shot an impala from 730 M last week. I could've sneezed, farted, and put on my favorite tune and it wouldn't have moved. In this case, it was all about my confidence that I could make an ethical / clean kill at that distance. Some argue it's not hunting when I'm that far away, some say it's not hunting when you are too close. Geez  :)

I'm not too interested in judging other folks. I think hunting is a personal thing and different folks get different value from different methods. Me personally, I'd get little out of that as a sportsman. All it's really testing is marksmanship and a very limited amount of quarry sense. When I'm on the ground with my quarry, field-craft and quarry sense are far more important factors and I get far more satisfaction out of using those than marksmanship.

Fair chase ethics are subjective and debatable by their nature, so again, it's a personal thing, but I wouldn't feel like I'm adhering to those ethics in that situation. Now, there is a time and a place for fair chase and a time and place for not so fair chase. Culling and predator control for example. That can still be enjoyable but for recreational sport, I want to feel like I have adhered to fair chase. I want to primarily test my ability as a hunter, not as a marksman.

It's probably little different ethically or practically to being driven around on the back of a pickup shooting rabbits at night, so I don't think it's necessarily wrong or not fun. To me it's culling, not sporting. But each to their own.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...