Pheasants

Just got into work and there's a transit with a trailer load of pheasants in the big car park , security have been checking on them all day and nobody's been near , my answer I would take them for ferret food , but should we phone the police to do a vehicle check or sspca to lift the pheasants 

If anybody around Edinbrugh is getting a load of pheasant poults tomorrow  and they arrive on a red pickup  EU04 YFV  they have been sitting in the pouring rain here for 12 hours until he left at seven pm tonight 

12 minutes ago, The one said:

If anybody around Edinbrugh is getting a load of pheasant poults tomorrow  and they arrive on a red pickup  EU04 YFV  they have been sitting in the pouring rain here for 12 hours until he left at seven pm tonight 

Surely he had a sheet over the top ?

Nope they called the sspca to have a look but they said unless they remained over night they couldn't do anything , i thought it was funny as most birds are in the woods now , i thought they where stolen ?. as they checked on them several times during the day and there was no sign of the driver  where was he on campus till he drove off at 19.00 ?. i dont think they will be the bargain somebody thinks they are if there getting them cheap 

1 hour ago, timmytree said:

Possibly, I don't see how we can differentiate between introduced species though. Grey squirrels, mitten crabs, signal crayfish, all illegal to release.

Maybe if the money ploughed into pheasants was put into partridges and grouse we would still have viable jobs, maybe smaller bags as well but that might avoid the reports of big bags of birds being dumped or incinerated. An alien species is just that, pheasants were only accepted because of very rich people who made the laws to suit themselves, like no game shooting on sundays to keep the working man away from them. Luckily my farmers have a sensible view. Pheasants in the woods belong to the shoot, any that come onto arable areas are vermin and get the same treatment as any other pest.

Shooters spend £2.5 billion on goods and services ..

Shooting supports the equivalent of 74000 full time jobs 

Nearly 2 million Hectares are actively managed as a result of shooting 

Shoot providers spend £250 million a year on conservation .

Shooters spend 3.9 million working days on conservation , the equivalent of 16000 full time jobs ..

Then you have backward left wing councils that stop grouse shooting and surrender the moor to a bunch of tree hugging bunny strokers that don’t want or don’t have the money to support the moor ..Shooting driven pheasants might not be your bag but don’t knock it the money input from it supports some fabulous conservation work that lives on its back ..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
48 minutes ago, sussex said:

Then you have backward left wing councils that stop grouse shooting and surrender the moor to a bunch of tree hugging bunny strokers that don’t want or don’t have the money to support the moor

That and they use public funds to do so which actually costs the taxpayer money.

One version creates jobs and tax revenue. One version produces nothing but costs money to even exist.

Edited by ChrisJones
Typo
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, timmytree said:

Pheasants are a non native introduced species. It should be illegal to release them.

Well they've been around for a blooming long time..... https://www.thefield.co.uk/shooting/the-history-of-the-pheasant-22364

2 hours ago, kinkell said:

Your allowed to shoot game on a Sunday

Is that a question or a statement ?

No shooting of game on Sundays. It stops the working class hunting pheasants because if their not at work they should be in church praying for forgiveness and their miserable lives. Also all of the good people will be in church also and therefore not available to check for Rif Ralf out in the woods up to no good. Any Rif Raf not in church praying for forgiveness should be hunted down and hung from a tree in the church yard as an example. ???

• Like 1
3 hours ago, timmytree said:

Possibly, I don't see how we can differentiate between introduced species though. Grey squirrels, mitten crabs, signal crayfish, all illegal to release.

Maybe if the money ploughed into pheasants was put into partridges and grouse we would still have viable jobs, maybe smaller bags as well but that might avoid the reports of big bags of birds being dumped or incinerated. An alien species is just that, pheasants were only accepted because of very rich people who made the laws to suit themselves, like no game shooting on sundays to keep the working man away from them. Luckily my farmers have a sensible view. Pheasants in the woods belong to the shoot, any that come onto arable areas are vermin and get the same treatment as any other pest.

Reality is that if native wild game birds were the only legal quarry most shoots would fold. Also I believe the pheasant is considered naturalized now. Also I'd say there is a difference between introduced species, that being their effect on the environment. There are introduced species that fly under the radar simply because they have little impact on native species. The UK wallabies for example.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, timmytree said:

Pheasants are useless and no threat to any other species