Stone Age Flints

Any you guys done field walking for Stone Age flints? I found my first ones while sat in a hide pigeon shooting, while sat waiting I spotted two flints at my feet. Pick them up and as I held them thought somebody was hunting on this spot maybe 3000 years ago. Any way I started looking for them after the fields where ploughed and harrowed and after a good shower of rain. Hope they may be of some interest.

P1200383.thumb.jpg.75042911ab282af22f2e26e948a8d452.jpg

This is a Oblique Arrow head late neolithic about 4000 years old or so I was told.

P1200375.thumb.jpg.beea82ff21a1bb6613bedbed9aa25b45.jpg

Very small Leaf Shaped Arrow Head.

P1200376.thumb.jpg.d1671534d29e045a1122859493eb647a.jpg

Two small barbs 20mm long, stuck in the side of pointed wood or bone.

P1200381.thumb.jpg.39ff3f812b11aba5132f7a9f4c3edb39.jpg

A Knife blade 45mm long.

P1200379.thumb.jpg.0235a3ad3e9302d239ed6d95ab1d807d.jpg

This I would like to find, somebody gave them to me they come from the deserts of Jordan where they are easy to find or so I was told.

P1200386.thumb.jpg.4baa809f746619803e403a1be8ababf4.jpg

Cheers Arry

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

very interesting arry , I was reading about the small flint arrow heads the other day and apparently the Vikings that found the small Neolithic arrow heads thought they were shot from elves and were responsible for aches and pains that they had and wore them as talismans 

• Like 2

Nice one arry, always something to see for those always looking, I can remember finding simular on school trips to Stonehenge and Salisbury plain, back in the days when you could just rock up and start digging without a digging permit and a HandS  certificate, see a few still make arrow heads by napping Flint ??  

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Nice one arry, always something to see for those always looking, I can remember finding simular on school trips to Stonehenge and Salisbury plain, back in the days when you could just rock up and start digging without a digging permit and a HandS  certificate, see a few still make arrow heads by napping Flint ??  

Used to find them in nearly all tilled fields round here, lucky the nearest natural flint is about 6 or 7 mile away. If you find any flint around here its usually has signs its been worked if you magnify it. Very addictive if you start though, used to take the dog for a walk and walk up and down harrowed fields. Seen some a chap on the box napping flint surprising how quick they knocked out a hand axe.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Always look when cutting peats, there was a stone age axe head found about 500 yards away. Maybe I'll find a bog body or tomb one day. There was a subterian neolithic chamber found up the road last year. We have standing stones older than stone henge so we have the history, maybe I need to look harder, certainly got me thinking, thanks for sharing Arry ? 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Gav said:

Always look when cutting peats, there was a stone age axe head found about 500 yards away. Maybe I'll find a bog body or tomb one day. There was a subterian neolithic chamber found up the road last year. We have standing stones older than stone henge so we have the history, maybe I need to look harder, certainly got me thinking, thanks for sharing Arry ? 

Always wanted to see some of them neolithic chamber on some of the Isles. Saw a documentary on one that corbeled in with amazing stone work. I've found the corner of a polished axe head gave it to a amateur archaeologist, ofter wondered if it was broken by the plough or a Stone Age man cutting a piece of wood 4000 years ago.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2

You can find a lot of Native American pottery and arrowheads out here. Hard to age for the layman but there have been settlements out here for over 12000 years (400 for the young earthers.) Artifactlaws forbid you to touch them without permits so we tend to leave them where they lie.

We find a lot of trilobite fossils across the border in NV that are permitted to be collected. They date to the Cambrian Period (Biblical flood for the young earthers.) You're allowed to dig for them too as the USGS has issued open permits on them. Some of them are even on the surface and can be simply picked up by the eagle-eyed. Used to drive out there with the kids when they were younger and I have to admit it's a cheap trip and a ton of fun at the same time.

Sh*t, I might have to sort a weekend trip out now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

You can find a lot of Native American pottery and arrowheads out here. Hard to age for the layman but there have been settlements out here for over 12000 years (400 for the young earthers.) Artifactlaws forbid you to touch them without permits so we tend to leave them where they lie.

We find a lot of trilobite fossils across the border in NV that are permitted to be collected. They date to the Cambrian Period (Biblical flood for the young earthers.) You're allowed to dig for them too as the USGS has issued open permits on them. Some of them are even on the surface and can be simply picked up by the eagle-eyed. Used to drive out there with the kids when they were younger and I have to admit it's a cheap trip and a ton of fun at the same time.

Sh*t, I might have to sort a weekend trip out now!

Chris those Red Indian flints are fantastic, worth putting Red Indian Flints into Google and go to images, some are truly beautiful.

Cheers Arry

2 minutes ago, Arry said:

Chris those Red Indian flints are fantastic, worth putting Red Indian Flints into Google and go to images, some are truly beautiful.

Cheers Arry

Some are incredible and design even varies between tribes. To think they hunted and fished with them is staggering when you look at the simplicity of the technology.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Greyman said:

school trips to Stonehenge and Salisbury plain, back in the days when you could just rock up and start digging without a digging permit and a HandS  certificate, 

I was at stone henge a few months back,saw several archaeological digs nearby.

P1010465.JPG

P1010468.JPG

• Like 3