R.E. To Be Renamed Religion And World Views

3 hours ago, Waz said:

Hope they include pastafarianism.

Follow The Eight "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts." This set of rules (also known as the Eight Condiments) given to the pirate captain Mosey by the FSM himself provides the basic code of behavior for all Pastafarians. There were originally 10 rules, but Mosey dropped and broke two on his way down the mountain, which accounts for Pastafarians' "relaxed" moral standards. The eight surviving rules are:[6]

• "I'd Really Rather You Didn't Act Like A Sanctimonious, Holier-Than-Thou Ass When Describing My Noodly Goodness."
  • "I'd Really Rather You Didn't Use My Existence As A Means To Oppress, Subjugate, Punish, Eviscerate, And/Or, You Know, Be Mean To Others."
  • "I'd Really Rather You Didn't Judge People For The Way They Look, Or How They Dress, Or The Way They Talk, Or, Well, Just Play Nice, Okay?"
  • "I'd Really Rather You Didn't Indulge In Conduct That Offends Yourself, Or Your Willing, Consenting Partner Of Legal Age AND Mental Maturity."
  • "I'd Really Rather You Didn't Challenge The Bigoted, Misogynist, Hateful Ideas Of Others On An Empty Stomach."
  • "I'd Really Rather You Didn't Build Multi-million Dollar Churches/Temples/Mosques/Shrines To My Noodly Goodness When The Money Could Be Better Spent (take your pick)
    • Ending Poverty,
    • Curing Diseases,
    • Living In Peace, Loving With Passion, And Lowering The Cost Of Cable.
  • "I'd Really Rather You Didn't Go Around Telling People I Talk To You."
  • "I'd Really Rather You Didn't Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You If You Are Into, Um, Stuff That Uses A Lot Of Leather/Lubricant/Las Vegas. If the other person is into it, however (Pursuant To #4), then have at it."

Far more sensible than the 10 commandments. :yes:

• Like 1

I got a detention for asking ,how do we know there is a god .I kid you not .I never knew about atheists back then   but I now know I was just far more inquisitive and mentally forward than my peers .I am now a staunch atheist. 

I've learnt over the years ,the questions to ask to make the devout squirm in any religion and has been a source of amusement for me .

Anybody looking to a third party for guidance to live their life is IMO a crackpot .

• Like 2
11 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

The Ten Commandments Mackem wouldn't be a bad way for folk to conduct themselfs .

Bollocks. The first three are about worship. Talk about narcissism!

Thou shall not kill... A lot of death penalty advocates on here...

That's a 40% failure rate. Even CNN get better than that...

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, ChrisJones said:

Bollocks. The first three are about worship. Talk about narcissism!

Thou shall not kill... A lot of death penalty advocates on here...

That's a 40% failure rate. Even CNN get better than that...

I'm with Chris on this one!  ? 

16 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Your opinion Chris 

But it does not have to be taken literally 

True but it's stated pretty clearly. Thou shall not kill. You break the commandment if you kill. So if its okay to kill sometimes and not others then the commandment is useless. Especially when it's perfectly justified to kill in certain circumstances and if you're a divine being whenever you feel like it.

Thou shalt not kip for the sake of killing but I believe if you do so in self defence or a eye for a eye then 

Imo that's ok.

Same. I don't have an issue with the killing depending on context. It's not okay to use force on another unless they use it on you.

A failure rate in your eyes ' as I say each to their own opinion .

Agreed but the first three commandments are about worship. F*ck that sh*t. That's no lesson to live by when you look at the very publicised harm that it is causing to vulnerable people of all ages.

Edited by ChrisJones
Typo

I think religion was a good thing many moons ago as it brought communities  together. But over time the clergy got greedy and religion became a way of controlling people and they made a bundle in the mean time .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't really remember R.E lessons at school. I know we had them, but I obviously wasn't listening or it would have occurred to me that it was the complete opposite of biology. Or is that physics?

I actually think religion and world views might be a better idea than having the bible rammed down your throat. The trouble is it's being changed so as not to offend certain people.

1 minute ago, walshie said:

I don't really remember R.E lessons at school. I know we had them, but I obviously wasn't listening or it would have occurred to me that it was the complete opposite of biology. Or is that physics?

I actually think religion and world views might be a better idea than having the bible rammed down your throat. The trouble is it's being changed so as not to offend certain people.

I remember them pretty well and the teacher was one of the few that encouraged us to not simply take other people's word for it and topics at face value.

RE was traditionally a christian lesson. I don't the change is due offending anyone. They have their own indoctrination schools for that. I think it's to attempt to remain relevant in an increasingly secular society.

• Like 3