As an aside…. In the USA you can pretty much buy anything you want across the counter, whether that be puppy shots or antibiotics. A couple of years back I was staying/hunting with a friend over there, who has been in the terrier game at least 30 years to my knowledge and who has a very strong scientific background and a load of practical first hand common sense experience.

I enquired as to what kind of antibiotics they currently favoured and the reply I got back was “I’ve not needed to use any antibiotics for at least 6 or 7 years. Antibiotics may be used to treat an infection once it has taken hold, but the most important thing is to prevent it getting there in the first place. I always carry a good quality antiseptic in my field kit and I always treat even the most minor of injuries immediately they occur. Since I’ve been doing that I’ve not once had a case of ‘next day swelling’, or needed to use antibiotics.”

I couldn’t fault the logic.

Darrren I hope all goes well with your Dad, it's not a nice place to be and our thoughts are with you mate.

Edited by Barrie
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Barrie said:

I think you’ll find the real issue has very little to do with how the medication is administered (whether by injection or not) and is more to do with the fact that in this country antibiotics such as these cannot legally be purchased across the counter without a prescription and as such must be prescribed by a vet.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who remembers the late G***** F*****, who received a lengthy custodial sentence for selling prescription only medicines, which included antibiotics ?

GF was not GF as he changed his name when in prison .He was putting dogs down for people and went overboard .Met him way back in the 70s  right character 

27 minutes ago, donnyc said:

GF was not GF as he changed his name when in prison .He was putting dogs down for people and went overboard .Met him way back in the 70s  right character 

wher`nt he acting as a vet ?

3 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Might aswell have, the rest do. Either Mohamed or Margaret...😂

magaret 😂😂

Isn't it ok to buy synulux etc over the counter at vets with prescription and give it to them at home orally. No need for needles then. I'd prefer not to bring any dog into vets unless essential. Especially young pups that haven't been vaccinated. There could of been a dog with parvo on the table 10 minutes before your visit and the vets apprentice was too lazy too disinfect.

• Like 1