Unless you are trained and can prove such  then it is illegal to treat your dog UNLESS it is a matter of life or death .I don't agree with it but that's the way it is .Commen sense and a basic understanding of first aid for dogs will do away with the need for vet treatment but trying to do some of the more serious things can get you right in the shit .Open forum isn't the place to discuss this though. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

Unless you are trained and can prove such  then it is illegal to treat your dog UNLESS it is a matter of life or death .I don't agree with it but that's the way it is .Commen sense and a basic understanding of first aid for dogs will do away with the need for vet treatment but trying to do some of the more serious things can get you right in the shit .Open forum isn't the place to discuss this though. 

No it’s not .. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

where did you find that info ? I think its wrong I`ll find out next time I`m up the racing kennels it was all updated in august this year I think you can treat your own animals unless its invasive surgery ..

Edited by sid g

Appears your rights mate .

example, the administration of uncomplicated oral medications or subcutaneous injection by layperson ie owner .I'm surprised at this tbh.

I’m not qualified but I used to work with livestock and was shown how to do it properly and competantly. My Mother was given some antibiotics for her dog by the vets with the instruction that I was to administer the jabs

On 09/09/2018 at 21:20, Chid said:

Legally you can treat your own dog ... you can inject your own animal as long as your competent to do so .. 

They tried to charge me for jabbing my own dog, you shouldn't jab unless under the supervision of a vet, and then only when competent to do so.

This is where you'll come up against the grey area......what's competent  ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dillydog said:

They tried to charge me for jabbing my own dog, you shouldn't jab unless under the supervision of a vet, and then only when competent to do so.

No, that's wrong, they can try and charge all they like but will come unstuck in court, it's perfectly legal to jab your own animals, farmers have been doing it for years.

I think you’ll find the real issue has very little to do with how the medication is administered (whether by injection or not) and is more to do with the fact that in this country antibiotics such as these cannot legally be purchased across the counter without a prescription and as such must be prescribed by a vet.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who remembers the late G***** F*****, who received a lengthy custodial sentence for selling prescription only medicines, which included antibiotics ?

• Like 4

Think you've hit the nail on the head there mate .The late great GF!what a character .I remember him at shows selling pups mid 90s .Judged a few shows around here too.Nothing he couldn't get hold of .

8 hours ago, dillydog said:

Well when you’ve been shown by a vet and the vets happy to leave penicillin and syringes and needles  for you to do it yourself, I’d say that’s competent enough

• Like 1

I don't disagree Chid, I'm only going off my life experiences mate, I've asked a couple of vets to sell me penicillin, showed good cause and so on........not a chance. The same vets would sell me the exact same penicillin to use on stock though, sheep and or horses !

You can have any antibiotic you like, in any form you can get it in, what you CAN'T do under our stupid system is administer those antibiotics without the say so of your vet........and if you want my advice I'd get it writing before you do.

Sorry for the delay I got her sorted I had to take money out of my dad's fund I built up for him and had to pay out at the emergency vet, cost me 350.dc I will fall you later mate been nonstop this end with my dad now really hard work. And while i was paying the vet my neighbour called to say my ferret had got out and attacked one of the chickens, having a right time of it at the moment honest to god! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, darrren said:

Sorry for the delay I got her sorted I had to take money out of my dad's fund I built up for him and had to pay out at the emergency vet, cost me 350.dc I will fall you later mate been nonstop this end with my dad now really hard work. And while i was paying the vet my neighbour called to say my ferret had got out and attacked one of the chickens, having a right time of it at the moment honest to god! 

It's alot of money that , especially as you had other even more important things to be there for. Hope your dad gets better and things work out as good as you can. Vet obviously expensive more on a call out . Would been good for you to know a reasonable price one and who was in the former of a human being lol . You could put down to one of them things and know what could be needed in the future