Antibiotics

I think you’ll find the real issue has very little to do with how the medication is administered (whether by injection or not) and is more to do with the fact that in this country antibiotics such as these cannot legally be purchased across the counter without a prescription and as such must be prescribed by a vet.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who remembers the late G***** F*****, who received a lengthy custodial sentence for selling prescription only medicines, which included antibiotics ?

• Like 4

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive sorted him out..... And jabbing dogs is only for a vet to do?no need this day and age plenty of alternatives . Hes a young lad just getting started, his dads in a bad way so he got alot on a minut

As an aside…. In the USA you can pretty much buy anything you want across the counter, whether that be puppy shots or antibiotics. A couple of years back I was staying/hunting with a friend over there

Because most folks dont have a clue and jab a dog up  for the slightest thing, in the end it is not effective.... And also if your door goes through for what ever reason, penicillin and needles in the

8 hours ago, dillydog said:

They tried to charge me for jabbing my own dog, you shouldn't jab unless under the supervision of a vet, and then only when competent to do so.

This is where you'll come up against the grey area......what's competent  ?

Well when you’ve been shown by a vet and the vets happy to leave penicillin and syringes and needles  for you to do it yourself, I’d say that’s competent enough

• Like 1

I don't disagree Chid, I'm only going off my life experiences mate, I've asked a couple of vets to sell me penicillin, showed good cause and so on........not a chance. The same vets would sell me the exact same penicillin to use on stock though, sheep and or horses !

You can have any antibiotic you like, in any form you can get it in, what you CAN'T do under our stupid system is administer those antibiotics without the say so of your vet........and if you want my advice I'd get it writing before you do.

Sorry for the delay I got her sorted I had to take money out of my dad's fund I built up for him and had to pay out at the emergency vet, cost me 350.dc I will fall you later mate been nonstop this end with my dad now really hard work. And while i was paying the vet my neighbour called to say my ferret had got out and attacked one of the chickens, having a right time of it at the moment honest to god! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
28 minutes ago, darrren said:

Sorry for the delay I got her sorted I had to take money out of my dad's fund I built up for him and had to pay out at the emergency vet, cost me 350.dc I will fall you later mate been nonstop this end with my dad now really hard work. And while i was paying the vet my neighbour called to say my ferret had got out and attacked one of the chickens, having a right time of it at the moment honest to god! 

It's alot of money that , especially as you had other even more important things to be there for. Hope your dad gets better and things work out as good as you can. Vet obviously expensive more on a call out . Would been good for you to know a reasonable price one and who was in the former of a human being lol . You could put down to one of them things and know what could be needed in the future 

As an aside…. In the USA you can pretty much buy anything you want across the counter, whether that be puppy shots or antibiotics. A couple of years back I was staying/hunting with a friend over there, who has been in the terrier game at least 30 years to my knowledge and who has a very strong scientific background and a load of practical first hand common sense experience.

I enquired as to what kind of antibiotics they currently favoured and the reply I got back was “I’ve not needed to use any antibiotics for at least 6 or 7 years. Antibiotics may be used to treat an infection once it has taken hold, but the most important thing is to prevent it getting there in the first place. I always carry a good quality antiseptic in my field kit and I always treat even the most minor of injuries immediately they occur. Since I’ve been doing that I’ve not once had a case of ‘next day swelling’, or needed to use antibiotics.”

I couldn’t fault the logic.

Darrren I hope all goes well with your Dad, it's not a nice place to be and our thoughts are with you mate.

Edited by Barrie
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
20 hours ago, Barrie said:

I think you’ll find the real issue has very little to do with how the medication is administered (whether by injection or not) and is more to do with the fact that in this country antibiotics such as these cannot legally be purchased across the counter without a prescription and as such must be prescribed by a vet.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who remembers the late G***** F*****, who received a lengthy custodial sentence for selling prescription only medicines, which included antibiotics ?

GF was not GF as he changed his name when in prison .He was putting dogs down for people and went overboard .Met him way back in the 70s  right character