starting hft

18 hours ago, webster said:

hi folks im gonna give HFT a go , I'm gonna be using my hw80 .177 how competitive is this rifle going too be , i usually shoot ,22 but want too give the smaller caliber a go , am i being daft using the hw80 ? 

Yes?

Edit to say, after reading others comments, please ignore my original drivel. I did state that I know nowt anyway ?

Edited by Rimfireboy!
3 hours ago, webster said:

hi folks im gonna give HFT a go , I'm gonna be using my hw80 .177 how competitive is this rifle going too be , i usually shoot ,22 but want too give the smaller caliber a go , am i being daft using the hw80 ? 

The HW80 is a superb spring rifle, more accurate than any of us lot Webster. :good:

In the .177 cal and it being a heavy rifle is a great help too.

This is your first attempt at HFT, then at first just join in the fun, meet the people, listen to all the advice, shoot the guns of others and go from there.

" Enjoy"

atb  Mark.

• Like 1

There is a recoiling rifle class in HFT comps - it's usually a lot smaller in number than the .177 PCP mob ;)

There's nowt wrong with and HW80 - It's perfectly capable of doing well in competitions :yes:

My advice: practice with it and, get along to a few comps and have some fun. 

Also, map out your reticle and work on your range estimation.

Good luck :thumbs:

ps, don't be put off by all the flash gear and posh stocks that you'll see on the lanes - it doesn't make them shoot any better.

........ There's no substitute for practice ;)

• Like 1

the hw 80 is as accurate as anything else but you need to have years of practice behind the trigger to be able to compete.sorry to state the obvious but if you have been shooting that airgun for ten years and can hit anything then you could clear a hft course with it.i for one bought a new s400 put a scope on it and got all my aim points within 2 hours and went out the next day and shot a 48 with it,but i have shot more than a couple of rounds with  over ten years experience shooting all types of weapons

14 hours ago, webster said:

Its your rifle its you that is going to shoot it

your going to get lads saying dont use this use that

then your going to see some with all the gear but no i dear

dont let them get to you just go and give it a go and if the hw80 is no good then you can change it your self at least its you thats made the decision and no one has made it for you ,

the hw80 is a cracking rifle made to be an fac rifle but changed for our laws here.

as for accuracy its one of the best in any cal 

at the end of the day its you behind the trigger no one else if you do good you do good if you dont then you dont

BUT AT LEAST YOU GAVE IT AGO

I know a lad who did it with a modified smk and every one laughed at him 

THEY DID NOT LAUGH WHEN HE CAME SECOND IN THE COMP THAT DAY

some take it serous very serous in deed 

JUST GO HAVE FUN AND ENJOY IT 

any way hope you do good

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1

The hardest thing to get right in hft is the range estimation. If you've had plenty of practice with the hw80 then you should get a good score. Likes already  been said, scores will be subject to the class you are in namely recoiling. Just go along and enjoy the day and just compete against yourself, that way there's no pressure where as if you just try and beat the person that you are put with,  you will more than likely end up beating yourself up about missed or plated shots and end up frustrated and dissapointed. 

Get yourself along and let us know how you fared  ? 

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, webster said:

cheers guys ,, the rifle aint exactly stock sfs kit in it and wearing a cs800 stock 

will give it a go and see how i do 

What do you think of the SFS kit Webster ?

The reason i ask mate, is that i have just bought a HW 97K .177 rifle with the the Sandwell Field Sports kit already installed.

atb  Mark.

42 minutes ago, mark williams said:

What do you think of the SFS kit Webster ?

The reason i ask mate, is that i have just bought a HW 97K .177 rifle with the the Sandwell Field Sports kit already installed.

atb  Mark.

Dont for get the hw77 sfs stage two tuned Mark

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

the kit in the ,177 hw80 smoothed it out but the kit I'm my hw80 in .22 is awesome just seems to work better in the .22 ,, 

26 minutes ago, bigmac 97kt said:

tell me more i have a hw77 rifle in .22 and that was going to be my next question on, up here in scotland the .22 class is spring and pcp banded together , 

6 minutes ago, webster said:

the kit in the ,177 hw80 smoothed it out but the kit I'm my hw80 in .22 is awesome just seems to work better in the .22 ,, 

tell me more i have a hw77 rifle in .22 and that was going to be my next question on, up here in scotland the .22 class is spring and pcp banded together , 

think it just cos most of the lads use .177 pcp's

there was only one lad out of about 40 people using using a .22 tx when I last did it

2 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

To be brutally honest about that stage 2 tuned HW 77  Jimmy :hmm:,- she`s one of the first rifles i pick up, awesome old girl she is :yes:.

I`m that impressed with the Sandwell tune that should i go for another spring rifle, i`ll pay them for a new rifle, the highest stage tune and wait in that 20 week queue, simple as that.

IMG_1158.thumb.JPG.c748bc4ea88736ecf9b89713de2cbf74.JPG

IMG_1169.thumb.JPG.0a4a030e61225ee3970bd956374182c7.JPG

atb  Mark

• Like 1