.223 vs .22-250

I know there have been numerous other forums about this subject but thought id ask this question once again. The person I lamp with has a .22-250 and he swears by it, after seeing what this caliber can do, I am impressed. I have never been out with anyone that has got a .223 so can't compare myself. I know each calibre has its pros and cons. But which would be best for fox control and small deer? Thanks 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of them two 223 for me. 1/14" twist. Certainly no tighter than 1/12".

If it was for a fox rifle I’d go 22-250, neither of them is suited to deer, for something to do both I’d go .243?

Both launch a .224 bullet at over 3000 to 3600 fps, 250 is more powerful and noisey 250 is more expensive to. feed.  how dead is dead ? It depends on how far you intend to shoot and how desparate you

Both launch a .224 bullet at over 3000 to 3600 fps, 250 is more powerful and noisey 250 is more expensive to. feed.  how dead is dead ? It depends on how far you intend to shoot and how desparate you are to shoot foxes.   The cost of feeding a 22.250 is fairly high but then a 223 aint cheap is in comparison with a 22lr. I  have 22 lr, 222, 223, 243 and 270. So quite a range of cals .  If you put the lead on target all will do the job. My 223 is 1/12 twist and I have worked up a load that will launch a 55grn at 3450 fps which is deadly out to 300 + paces and its only about slower than a 22.250. You pace out 300 and that is a long long shot. Try it at night.  It wasnt all that long ago that a 22lr was considered a powerful gun and virtually no one had or used any sort of 22cf.  It then  went to the 22 hornet and then on to larger more powerful  cals,  but it isn't just down to the gun or powder or bullet ect ect.  fieldcraft and being in the right place at the right time are more important. Choice is yours. As above 243 is a good consideration.

• Like 3

I agree with Stavross I have a .243 and I think it’s a fantastic all rounder, I use it for muntjac, roe, fallow and foxes in day time. I have a dedicated NV set up on a .22-250 which is just fox foxes and it’s deadly! Inch high zero at 100 yds comfortable flat shooting to 300 at night, fast bullet and extremely accurate. Saying that I don’t think there is much difference between it and a .223, just my personal preference is a .22-250 as it what my mate had when I got into foxing so I got the same. 

These .22 cf Are usually shot with 50 or 55 grains and I would not go out shooting deer with that size and I have a lot of roe on my shoot and .22-250 is not a legal caliber hence the .243 

• Like 3

Every persons requirements are different, but of the two, 22-250 could be argued to be the best, unfortunately life isn't that simple, if you want what a 22-250 can give you I would always suggest moving a bit more and get a .243.

Even if you're not sure now, get a .223 AND a .243 later!:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2

There is this deer angle with the 243. The price of all 22cf ammo is getting up there now?  Of the .224 cals =22cf any will take Fox at respectable distance. The 222 is a brilliantly accurate and there are a ton of them out there that are cheap because they are out of fashion at the moment in favour of larger cals such as the 250, the 220 swift and the 243.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Meece said:

There is this deer angle with the 243. The price of all 22cf ammo is getting up there now?  Of the .224 cals =22cf any will take Fox at respectable distance. The 222 is a brilliantly accurate and there are a ton of them out there that are cheap because they are out of fashion at the moment in favour of larger cals such as the 250, the 220 swift and the 243.

222 is a peach and so forgotten.

Plenty gun.

Have owned three and would have a fourth tomorrow.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, only added deer there because I thought a .223/.22-250 was legal for the smaller species of deer. For peace of mind I wouldn't personally go with such a small caliber. But I am a novice to that side of shooting (deer stalking). This is my first firearms after having a shotgun for years so Ill have to wait a few years before I apply for a variation for the .243. Bought a 17hmr straight off and love it as a small caliber, but only for bunnies and crows obviously. ? 

• Like 1

It’s sometimes frowned upon and some forces don’t let you use it but I have wrecked a fair few foxes with the 17hmr, head shot under 100 yards they go nowhere, it’s a bit of a marmite round, some people love them some think they are pointless, I like them and own two

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Stavross said:

It’s sometimes frowned upon and some forces don’t let you use it but I have wrecked a fair few foxes with the 17hmr, head shot under 100 yards they go nowhere, it’s a bit of a marmite round, some people love them some think they are pointless, I like them and own two

You got a bad mouse problem too??..........

• Haha 3
19 hours ago, Stavross said:

If it was for a fox rifle I’d go 22-250, neither of them is suited to deer, for something to do both I’d go .243?

English Deer. Scottish deer are different and fall over much easier. ?

.22-250 is more than capable of killing small / med species of deer. Unfortunately it's use in England is restricted because of the Deer Act to Chinese and Muntjac only.

As for .223 vs .22-250, everyone has their favourite. .22-250 is flatter and faster with more energy. .223 is quieter but not as flat or fast. Ammo is a bit more expensive for .22-250. .22-250 is more destructive.

.243 is an all round fox / deer cartridge. If you want separate calibres then there are plenty of suitable calibres for fox. As for a dedicated one for deer,  again plenty of choices. .308 probably the most popular one but .30-06 and others such as 6mm or .270 can't be ruled out with many similar arguments as to comparing .223 vs .243. A lot of it is personal preference, but with Deer beware the legislation which varies within the UK.

• Like 1

The OP stated fox and small deer, so is obviously aware of the law.  He asked for the pros and cons of 223 vs 22-250, not what other calibres he could get for other species.

In answer to the original question, both calibres are legal and fully capable of dealing with fox, munties and CWD. It's all down to personal preference and what suits you best.

My choice would be 223. :thumbs: