Help, What's Wrong With My New Scope ???

Hi all.

Can anybody please shed any light on this problem that I am getting with my new Hawke 2-7x32AO Scope. Basically, I've recently bought a new tuned HW99s Imp, and at the same time from a different shop I also bought the Hawke scope. The problem Is that the Hawke just will not group or adjust when fitted to my new rifle. To start with the rifle always seems to shoot about 4-5'' to the left. And when I adjust the left/right adjuster, the point of Impact actually starts to move up as If I'm adjusting the up/down adjuster. It doesn't seem to move right at all. I am using a new set of 2 piece mounts also made by Hawke (1'') I have removed the mounts about 3 times and I keep getting the same result or thereabouts.

Luckily though I remembered that I had an old beat up BSA 4x32 scope In my gun bag. So I then proceeded to fit the BSA scope on to my new rifle and used the new Hawke mounts. Bingo, after firing off about 6 shots In my tiny back garden (about 10 yards) I started to get most pellets In a 3/4'' circle. This I did about 6 to 8 times just to make sure that the first couple of shots were not a fluke. Each pellet then proceeded to group nicely.  At least the problem doesn't seem to be rifle. I have been shooting for many years and have never had a problem like this before.

I have been In contact with Hawke customer services to find out where I stand, but I would prefer to get this annoying problem sorted If possible so any advice will be greatly appreciated,

Atb,

John.

Ps: I took the scope back to the shop where I bought It earlier and the chap put the scope In a V shaped rest. According to him, (to complicate the matter even further) both the turret adjusters were moving as they should confused.gif

Edited by mjr88
  • Haha 1

I bought one of them scopes cos it was a give away, was in the bargain bucket... the up and down on the turrets or the left or right was wrong can’t remeber exactly but it worked you just had to disregard doing it how it said!!

was a right pain but did work when I sussed out what was what:( 

5 minutes ago, si brown said:

I bought one of them scopes cos it was a give away, was in the bargain bucket... the up and down on the turrets or the left or right was wrong can’t remeber exactly but it worked you just had to disregard doing it how it said!!

was a right pain but did work when I sussed out what was what:( 

Thanks for the swift reply Si. So are you thinking that the turrets are actually the wrong way around and could be marked up wrong. 

2 hours ago, bsasuperten said:

morning are you sure you have the scope the right way up /down on the top and left/right on the right hand side it's easy done I have 2 of these scopes on my rifles and rate them very highly

bsasuperten

Hi bud ?

Problem sorted. Somebody from another forum suggested (just like you) to move the scope to a different position. When I was having the problem, the up/down adjuster was on the left hand side and the right/left was on top. So this morning I remounted the scope the other way around. The up/down adjuster Is now on top and the left/right adjuster on the left hand side. It was quite evident from the first shot In my small 10 yard back garden that this had sorted the problem. Where as before the shots were all going about 4-5'' to the left, now the shots were only going about 2'' to the right. Plus both adjusters seemed to be working perfectly as well. To cut a long story short I ended up getting most pellets In a 1'' target.

Could you please explain how moving the scope/adjuster position can cure the problems that I was getting because I really didn't think that It would make any difference at all. Both adjusters are connected to different parts of the reticule (or are they) so In my mind and other people I've spoken too,  they seemed to agree with me (how wrong were we)

I am now looking foward to taking my new Imp down to my local permission to see what kind of groups I can get at 25, 35, and 45 yards etc. It has been many years since I have shot a springer so I am really looking forward to the challange,

Atb,

John ?

Edited by mjr88
9 hours ago, bsasuperten said:

morning are you sure you have the scope the right way up /down on the top and left/right on the right hand side it's easy done I have 2 of these scopes on my rifles and rate them very highly

bsasuperten

Hi, has this happened to you before then with a Hawke scope? I've spoken to a couple of people earlier who both have a lot of experience with shooting and both reckon that the scope Is faulty because they have never heard that rotating a scope can fix  zeroing and adjustment Issues,

Opinions please ?