dairy work

Great offer thank you I am in sunny west wales though a bit far I think. I have applied for  a job doing 300 cows. Have no experience but they happy to train up. 5 am start then home and backup for the afternoon milk  unless they busy  then muck in and help through the day. Completely new to me though. He is seeing other people so maynot get it. But happy to have a go and sounds like plenty of hours. Every other weekend off so can still squeeze bit of ferreting lol

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

I do it, love it,  good money an hours to suit me, not everybody likes it tho we go through a fair few staff to find a decent one ? if ye not that far ye more than welcome tp come hang about a bit an see the craic pal??

See the craic ? Why would you want to stare at cows arseholes constantly ??

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Mate go for it an if ye wanna blag him a bit give him my number as a reference? I’m about to start afternoon shift now an then on call till midnight but I be back on soon so if ye wanna anymore info either pm me or ask here?

JUST CURIOUS  ,  with all these hours you do, is anything over 8 hours classed as over time ,? or do you get a fixed wage , if so it would have to be  be well payed to do the hours and type job .! the old farmer makes money  and always as , forget the crap they tell you  lol,  but the farm worker  be it , milking , tractor driving , shepherds , etc never make that much coin  really , i knew couple blokes who worked on farms all there lives never really made much money, but there loved the life. they could never work in a  factory , l ike i have done over the years  , i got more in a night shift for a week, working at Goodyear 's  back in 70s  than what they get in month . But looking back it must be great doing somthing you like , than the jobs i did , i hated them really,   i know where your bullshit comes from  now   w.katchum    haha  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I get a flat wage mate, £15 an hour, and in reality I prob do as many or less hours as most folk working full time. It’s just my hours are odd, I don’t start most days that I work till 12, do a shift an can be home for half 4ish, back in for 8 an leaving there about midnight maybe 1 in morn. The other lads there are on diff wages an I sure they get over time if they do nights or are out all hours lambing or harvesting. But that’s there buissness ?

I agreed to my wage an agreed to my hours before I ever started, I left school with nowt mate, not even a half decent reference, messed about for few years an then joined army which tbh I never used to my advantage an spent all me time in there drinking an getting in trouble ?? so for a guy with no quals an no trade I can’t scoff at 15 notes an hour, an the ability to dictate what hours an days I want to do. I know 24 grand a year ain’t a lot to a lot folks but to me it’s far better than I could get in a factory or a site here?

my my bosses sister has not long been over for a visit, she owns a few farms in Nz an has been offering me to go over for a while, few farms local all have said anytime I need it I got job there, couple them are even easier an it’s all robotic set up, so my boss an me are in process of negotiating a salary to keep me here an happy? an truth being told if he adds an extra couple grand on top of what I earned last year then I can’t say no?

I know it’s not a great amount a money mate but like ye say I love the life, can ferret most morning if I feel like it, lamp most nights in me way home through the dales an the family I work for are spot on, never met a better boss tbh, yeah they make money but not one person on out yard is on minimum wage, even they young lads that go college a day a week are in more than all there pals in diff farms, an our boss is as fair as they come in he will let you do as many or as little hours as ye olease as always summat needs some an if ye a good grafter then he has no probs letting ye earn more?

fair play that mate, and £ 15 quid a hour  not bad at all mate, and your farm and boss sound not bad at all, i can see why you stay there mate . But NZ  job  sounds  Brill , your only young bloke, get your family over there  mate , go for it   there feck all here mate  only pakis  and all that shit,  our future  here now  could be fecked  in the UK   with what happing next yer   prob no deal  etc . no mate  get on that plane , and make room for old bloke like me , 66 and still having having a go   haha

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, bird said:

fair play that mate, and £ 15 quid a hour  not bad at all mate, and your farm and boss sound not bad at all, i can see why you stay there mate . But NZ  job  sounds  Brill , your only young bloke, get your family over there  mate , go for it   there feck all here mate  only pakis  and all that shit,  our future  here now  could be fecked  in the UK   with what happing next yer   prob no deal  etc . no mate  get on that plane , and make room for old bloke like me , 66 and still having having a go   haha

Over there, he is the Pakistani :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
55 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

There’s loads a jobs like it mate an sad bit is nobody wants do em, we got poles livin on-site an earning good money cos the locals all to lazy or good to do it, most farmers will train ye an look after ye these days as they know decent hard working reliable folk that they can trust are few an far between?

Anyone hardworking and reliable, decent not necessary lol... Could have a hell of a job/lifestyle, trouble is the fuckers can't be bothered that is a fact ? ... Been farming since I left school, was hard cause I'm not from farming family but done ok.. I knocked up my bosses daughter so we're married now ?

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I’m same mate, came from big city an was an officially stupid townie? but I don’t mind hard graft an can take a bollocking if I fcuk up an learn fas so I settled in straight away, an made meself invaluable?

Spent your time in the army drinking and getting in trouble...... Now that's the army I remember and there's feck all wrong with that lol not like these fecking snowflake types of today ?

• Like 2

I did a good few years milking. 

Personally I think it's great if you can set your own boundaries and don't let the farmers take you for granted. It's good if you can go self employed, do some fencing, pest control and pick up other jobs. You can then fill in with milking and general farm work. Get known for grafting and being reliable and you can freelance for a number of farms and make em appreciate you rather than they thinking they own you....which the fckin will if you give em half an chance. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

There’s loads a jobs like it mate an sad bit is nobody wants do em, we got poles livin on-site an earning good money cos the locals all to lazy or good to do it, most farmers will train ye an look after ye these days as they know decent hard working reliable folk that they can trust are few an far between?

yes the fella leaving is a pole and been there fair few years and a good bloke apparently. He had a few before as well they tend to do 3 or 4 years then move on