Eyesight

3 hours ago, timmytree said:

Good idea! If it takes dangerous drivers off the road I'm all for it.

Don't stop there though, do breath test, insurance, tax and MOT check at the same time.

Tax, insurance, MOT, and registered keeper are all checked before they even stop you...........

I read that the will have the power to revoke licences at the roadside. Surely, that power is only in the gift of DVLA ?

And when folks lose their jobs because they have no transport I suppose they'll just have to become another statistic on benefits?

I suppose we'll just see how much of an effect this has...

I'd be lost without my vehicle. Honestly not sure my life would be worth living. I dread ever losing that right.

Edited by Born Hunter

I had mine checked years ago after a day out with hounds. A guy I was with pointed out Charlie running on the fell, but I couldn’t see him for toffee! That made me go to get my eyes checked. I wear glasses for distance viewing now and driving

4 hours ago, walshie said:

If you can't read a number plate at 60ft, you shouldn't be let near a car. 

As above.

When I read about this on the news, this morning I thought blimey, that's not far. So I paced it out and if a driver can't read a number plate at that distance they would have a hard job  finding their car. If the generàl eyesight was as bad as that they must be aware of it and if they haven't been to an optician and sorted out glases, then go out on the road risking the lives of others they deserve to have their car crushed so that they cant drive it. And if found out on thd road again. Thrown inside.

Edited by Meece

Driver's License renewal here is every 5 years. They test your eyesight at the desk and it's stamped on your license whether you have to wear corrective lenses.

Like Walshie said if you can't read the number plate you should be in the passenger seat.

2 hours ago, timmytree said:

It may be at the moment but DVLA isn't on the roadside or clearing up the mess when there is an accident. If the cops find someone unsafe to drive they've GOT to stop them. Imagine the knock at the door. "Sorry, your kiddie has been killed by a car, we know the driver couldn't see because we stopped him earlier and he wasn't fit to drive but we let him carry on. Sorry about that."

I agree completely Tim !

What I'm saying is that it's absolutely right that the police should have powers to deal with this issue - in fact, they already have. What I'm saying is that I'm not sure that they should have the power to permanently revoke a license, there and then, at the roadside.

Currently, they have the power to make such a recommendation to DVLA, so perhaps they should just be able to revoke temporarily, pending medical assessment ?

1 hour ago, ChrisJones said:

Driver's License renewal here is every 5 years. They test your eyesight at the desk and it's stamped on your license whether you have to wear corrective lenses.

Like Walshie said if you can't read the number plate you should be in the passenger seat.

drivers license is renewed yearly here.

no eye sight test required.

they dont even do MOTs on vehicles here unless you buy from another province.

most people drive around with their beer goggles on around here

13 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

drivers license is renewed yearly here.

no eye sight test required.

they dont even do MOTs on vehicles here unless you buy from another province.

most people drive around with their beer goggles on around here

No MOT's here either as of this year. I'm in a mixed opinion about that. I disagree with the government stamp of approval but you should see some of the sheds on wheels...

Biggest threats on the roads here are kids on mobile phones and old people smashed to f*ck on Oxy...

• Haha 2