Fred Dibnah How to erect a chimney scaffold

5 minutes ago, king said:

fred laughed in the face of danger fireman lol.very clever the way he used to knock half of the stack out and replace with wood.then burn the wood.

He designed that scaffold himself and he allways said he'd only fall once from it,he built a mine shaft in his garden just so he could learn how to do it..?.The world lost a gem when he went King for sure..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

i remember also seeing him dig a mine shaft in the garden on tv yrs ago.

using a large steel ring and laying courses of bricks on top of the ring then digging the muck out under the ring and inside it to make it drop down a bit.and repeat.that really blew my mind.it makes perfect sense doing it that way and i doubt there is a better way to make a brick lined shaft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, fireman said:

He designed that scaffold himself and he allways said he'd only fall once from it,he built a mine shaft in his garden just so he could learn how to do it..?.The world lost a gem when he went King for sure..

lol i just typed out about the mine shaft and you mentioned it fireman.they will never make men like him again.theres plenty of footage on youtube of him to watch.

• Like 1

Went through a phase about a year ago watching all his vids on youtube. Brilliant.

Dibnah was a throwback to the type of men who inspired the industrial revolution and made Britain great. The sad irony is if he was around today he’d probably be shut down and maybe even locked up by the Health and Safety police. 

• Like 7

very clever man who was born 100 years to late. 

loved it when he took the family on holiday to blackpool.  nicked off to knock a chimney down as the factory owner done him a deal on a boiler refurb for his engine!

they broke the mould with Fred.

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

Went through a phase about a year ago watching all his vids on youtube. Brilliant.

Dibnah was a throwback to the type of men who inspired the industrial revolution and made Britain great. The sad irony is if he was around today he’d probably be shut down and maybe even locked up by the Health and Safety police. 

ive just watched episode 1 and 2. 2 is the blackpool 1 antg just mentioned.them men in them days were definately made from tuff stuff.

Had the privilege of listening to the man at a steam rally, between York and Leeds early 80s, he wasn't that well known so was a good do. 

"one mistake up ere an it's half a day out wit undertaker" 

Class, a true legend. 

• Haha 1