Series 2 Land Rover

My son is toying with buying a 1959 Series 2 Land Rover that is for sale up the road from us for £4000.

I know nothing about Land Rovers, except this seems to be very cheap for a S2 even though it's a pickup. 

It wouldn't be for daily use, just to tinker with and drive at weekends. Worth a punt or psychiatric help required? 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be fair Gav getting shot of them every three years is the way forward ?, now it’s four your getting into the leaking zone , Walshie’s boy is looking at a59 year old one , it will only be getting 25

First thing to ask is does your lad have a tool kit and does he know how to use one?,he'll be needing one and know how to use one with a old landy..

If you don’t mind having your head under the bonnet most weekends get it cos it’s only going to go up in value . For a knock about weekend fun off-road motor you can’t beat them . But like has been sa

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

just check your usuall hotspots, chassis, bulkhead, door bottoms for the gingavitis, also check it runs decent, is it petrol or diesel?  better for a tdi conversion. 

It's a diesel.

10 hours ago, walshie said:

It's a diesel.

the 2.25 diesels are pretty bomb proof if they been looked after, but they do lack power, if its in good nick tell him to offer silly money and create a frankenrover the 200 tdi engine were in my opinion the best then swap out the axels and put disco axels in and a lift kit and mud tyres then he has an amazingly capable truck, i like them but they were predesigned for thalidamide peoples to drive, and at that age should be tax exempt and classic insurence 

On 31 August 2018 at 23:11, walshie said:

It's a diesel.

It will wear your son out before he wears it out, if it ain't got a pool of oil  under it the sump is dry, it won't go anywere fast but it will go anywere and if you need bits for it everything is available through 3 outlets, paddocks, craddocks  or  bearmach and in good nick a series can be hitting around £20,000, the series 2A has the best gearbox of all the series and check it does,nt jump out of gear on over run as many do mine included it's not terminal but annoying,

3 hours ago, Greyman said:

It will wear your son out before he wears it out, if it ain't got a pool of oil  under it the sump is dry, it won't go anywere fast but it will go anywere and if you need bits for it everything is available through 3 outlets, paddocks, craddocks  or  bearmach and in good nick a series can be hitting around £20,000, the series 2A has the best gearbox of all the series and check it does,nt jump out of gear on over run as many do mine included it's not terminal but annoying,

I thought if it didn't have a pool of oil under it, it isnt a landrover!? ? 

• Like 1

Just as well he only wants it as a weekender , two days running , order spares Monday , get spares Wednesday, get them on by Friday , hallelujah day sat , break down Sunday ...repeat ...owning a landy is a lifestyle..remember not to let him park it on your drive without the drip tray ..

1 hour ago, Rabid said:

And a tight fit, or is that just me ?

Not just you Rob ..?

• Haha 2
22 minutes ago, sussex said:

Just as well he only wants it as a weekender , two days running , order spares Monday , get spares Wednesday, get them on by Friday , hallelujah day sat , break down Sunday ...repeat ...owning a landy is a lifestyle..remember not to let him park it on your drive without the drip tray ..

Never had a problem with ours, no leaks, nothing! It's four years old now too. Im 6'2" 17 stone an fits me just fine. Would have just bought another new one when it got to 3 years old but ya can't any more. Hate paying for pointless mots