Planned litters?

9 hours ago, blackmaggie said:

I think you would be very lucky to get a stud at that money today unless your good mates with the owner and some may not even put there's  over a grey hound the only reason I mentioned shoot lodge was because a lad with a very decent greyhound bitch was looking at this cross  and he chose his atlenthic looking red dog but she was killed before a lining took place 

I know a lot of lads who wouldn't let you put there labs to a greyhound but I personally wouldn't mind ive been asked to put him to a few labs for either price of a pup or pick of litter which I haven't taken up as I want another lurcher and it will be my last dog but if it was helping a fellow lad out I'd let him use him and wouldn't expect anything 

• Like 3

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a man fancies a robust wee Mouching jukel,..a Labrador /Running dog hybrid will certainly fit the bill.  There are loads of good honest working Labs around,..they don't have to be Field Trial 

That's exactly what he's after Phil...a mouching partner....doesn't need a speed machine or a coursing dog.When I was after a pup a couple of years ago Northernlite put me in touch with him,he gifted

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Councilestatekid said:

I know a lot of lads who wouldn't let you put there labs to a greyhound but I personally wouldn't mind ive been asked to put him to a few labs for either price of a pup or pick of litter which I haven't taken up as I want another lurcher and it will be my last dog but if it was helping a fellow lad out I'd let him use him and wouldn't expect anything 

Just out of interest, what is the reason the lads will not put their labs to greyhounds?

14 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

I don't know I personally can't see the harm in it but think the lads I know who would don't like the running dog game to be honest I don't know if it would ever come down to money I think str might know better than me as like I say I'm a novice with labs 

Ok ,probably just snobby b*stards.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
23 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Do you have a pic of him ?.

Pics as requested black lab was out of Sam of Drakeshead about 5 in pic,I would say he would have been an ideal type for lurcher breeding,very bright fast & athletic,yellow dog bout 4 in pic, he’s stopped with pricked bird in mouth marking other birds hitting floor many of them running,that’s what picking up is all about finding the wounded ones as there worth £40 a bird in regards the cost to the guns for a days shooting,pic of both labs & cocker watching birds hitting the floor waiting to be sent individually for wounded birds.regards cost of a good well bred lab at stud you could get it free of mates but I would say £100-£200 off lads at shoots is about right ,some greedy fuckers want price of a pup.

81747652-0245-440B-A06E-4A0561DE2C34.jpeg

556E161C-9C74-4B29-BE18-53250BE93FAB.jpeg

F249BB17-372C-4413-BC09-F6BC3CA755B1.jpeg

• Like 4

Dunt your man at drakeshead charge £500 a studding and I can't see the difference between the price of a pup or pick of the litter to be honest  if it's a one off litter and don't want a pup.if your putting your dog out for studding it's a different game as it's Purley for the coin in my opinion which I'd have no intrest in as I don't need the coin.

On 2 September 2018 at 22:51, blackmaggie said:

I think you would be very lucky to get a stud at that money today unless your good mates with the owner and some may not even put there's  over a grey hound the only reason I mentioned shoot lodge was because a lad with a very decent greyhound bitch was looking at this cross  and he chose his atlenthic looking red dog but she was killed before a lining took place 

Personally prefer a lab over any collie xs  far more stable and a better Royston about type a jukel with inbred natural abilities fa work on live which to be fai collies ain't got .atb bill

• Like 2

Fools and their money I’m afraid on the gundog game 

hprs, spaniels , labs, can all be leathered into money making schemes whereas in reality a good quiet handler can use or breed anything himself to a very very good standard 

just out of interest, if anyone fancies a walk down that side , you can use my fox red. For a dog pup back . 

No pedigree or big names . Just a grafter 

73C4839F-7724-4A4D-A9D9-1B88731ED19D.jpeg

DD0E11BD-6420-4EEF-A37F-3AD4FE3BC08A.jpeg

9F8909C4-01BF-4176-85B3-81DDB055F52E.jpeg

07F0312F-5992-421B-8007-4362AAF09F73.jpeg

• Like 3

Read earlier about athleticism In labs. 

I much prefer a stocky powerful mobile lab rather than a tall leggy donkey that stands shy off bushes etc . 

My dog works like a hound , with pace, pushes the beating line in and crashes through any cover. 

He’s not a robot , like a lurcher, I like him just this side of daft !! 

6 minutes ago, C.green said:

If your breeding to a lurcher you want the strong sort of big boned type rather than a skinny racy thing 

What are your reasons for using a big boned type for breeding , my thoughts would have been the opposite and gone for a more racey type but I am no means an expert and I am not having a dig just interested in your thinking.

11 minutes ago, Allan P said:

What are your reasons for using a big boned type for breeding , my thoughts would have been the opposite and gone for a more racey type but I am no means an expert and I am not having a dig just interested in your thinking.

Because if you put a racy labrador to a grey or lurcher what are you actually gonna add structure wise ? Id use a bigger type and hope for a pup with abit of substance if you need speed you aint gonna be trying this cross in the first place are ya same with collies and greys it makes sense using a proper collie type rathe r than a racy one then younend up with scatty collie coloured greyhounds lol

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, C.green said:

Because if you put a racy labrador to a grey or lurcher what are you actually gonna add structure wise ? Id use a bigger type and hope for a pup with abit of substance if you need speed you aint gonna be trying this cross in the first place are ya same with collies and greys it makes sense using a proper collie type rathe r than a racy one then younend up with scatty collie coloured greyhounds lol

Ok, I see where your coming from.