Planned litters?

29 minutes ago, Str said:

He’s a nice type but I would look for a Drakeshead bred dog as they are more athletic,I had one out of Sam of Drakeshead who was very fast, the dog in the pic looks to have a big head shortish legs this is not a criticism of the dog but there are much better labs for crossing with a greyhound,around 15-20 years ago me and a friend tried to breed this cross but his greyhound never came properly in to season it was a real shame as my lab would have thrown some great first crosses.

The drakeshead are bred just down the road from me so seen quite a few work which wasnt a patch on his sire or looked as trim.I agree there are better labs out there that could be put to a grey but would by no means say drakeshead are the best I'd go scout a shoot and watch them working.I don't know how big he is to be honest I'd say he was to about my knee and I'm 6"2???.but can assure you he's no fat lab.but being used to lurcher's I can't see what a lab would fetch to the mix think I'd still stick with the collie or beddy to be fair any day.as I don't see what a quicker lab would fetch to either game the shooting or lurcher game.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a man fancies a robust wee Mouching jukel,..a Labrador /Running dog hybrid will certainly fit the bill.  There are loads of good honest working Labs around,..they don't have to be Field Trial 

That's exactly what he's after Phil...a mouching partner....doesn't need a speed machine or a coursing dog.When I was after a pup a couple of years ago Northernlite put me in touch with him,he gifted

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Allan P said:

I've always liked the idea of lab based lurcher, good nose, easy going temp ,drive and good retrieving instinct also fairly tough feet. A good rough shooting type lab to a grew would be my preferred choice. On paper the ideal rabbiting  lurcher IMO.

I agree nothing to touch labs,I’ve one still at home now but he’s 13 this week too old for shagging I am afraid, I’ve had working dogs 35 years labs spaniels lurchers terriers but this old lab has been fantastic, 3-4 for days a week picking up on busy estate plus flushing rabbits to shoot unbelievable stamina.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

The drakeshead are bred just down the road from me so seen quite a few work which wasnt a patch on his sire or looked as trim.I agree there are better labs out there that could be put to a grey but would by no means say drakeshead are the best I'd go scout a shoot and watch them working.I don't know how big he is to be honest I'd say he was to about my knee and I'm 6"2???.but can assure you he's no fat lab.but being used to lurcher's I can't see what a lab would fetch to the mix think I'd still stick with the collie or beddy to be fair any day.as I don't see what a quicker lab would fetch to either game the shooting or lurcher game.

Drakeshead are in Chorley aren’t you in North Yorkshire? Regards quicker lab what would it bring? With a slimmer faster type there would be less litter wastage, the half crosses would be quick enough to catch rabbits,regards what a lab would bring to the mix if you had owned the labs I have you wouldn’t have asked that question,I’ve owned working Bedlingtons at the same time as labs so I can compare these two breeds,I personally think a good lab cross would take some beating .

• Like 1

The thing is i think Brian holstead charges about 500 a lining and that's if and a big if he would do one to a greyhound and I think stuff of him is similar prices at stud the half crosses are quick enough to catch plus like been said good feet coat and natural retrievers as you would expect and a bit more brains than a beddy x so I couldn't see why one couldn't be used on a shoot with a bit of training in place 

• Like 2

I probably would still have asked yes.I have only had the 1 lab and don't pretend to be a expert on them but have seen alot work over the years.I think if the lab cross/grey was that good it would be out there more.maybe they would make ideal lurcher's it just wouldn't be my choice and I personally can't see it. and all my lurcher's have retrieved think that's just down to training really as I've seen labs that have took some effort to get them retrieving.and when I say down road half hourish drive.and has for the coat I've never known a bloody dog malt as much in my life he's bloody murder.so any tips on prevention would be appreciated ?

If a man fancies a robust wee Mouching jukel,..a Labrador /Running dog hybrid will certainly fit the bill. :yes:

There are loads of good honest working Labs around,..they don't have to be Field Trial Standard, to go across a Greyhound or a Grew,...

I like a nice bold, forward going hunting type,...(I actually prefer my cur crosses), but, I've been out with some superb Lab lurchers,..great fun...?

Thistle...

Pim0003.thumb.jpg.1ac9e632b1e31579cf4fe575fabcab2e.jpg

• Like 11
  • Sad 1
55 minutes ago, blackmaggie said:

The thing is i think Brian holstead charges about 500 a lining and that's if and a big if he would do one to a greyhound and I think stuff of him is similar prices at stud the half crosses are quick enough to catch plus like been said good feet coat and natural retrievers as you would expect and a bit more brains than a beddy x so I couldn't see why one couldn't be used on a shoot with a bit of training in place 

You don’t need to go to Drakeshead kennel directly there’s loads of lads with dogs from that kennel that would be ideal, I used to charge £150 to use my old lab to a lab.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Phil Lloyd said:

If a man fancies a robust wee Mouching jukel,..a Labrador /Running dog hybrid will certainly fit the bill. :yes:

There are loads of good honest working Labs around,..they don't have to be Field Trial Standard, to go across a Greyhound or a Grew,...

I like a nice bold, forward going hunting type,...(I actually prefer my cur crosses), but, I've been out with some superb Lab lurchers,..great fun...?

Thistle...

That’s a Fine looking animal Phil , in my eyes that’s what a lurcher should look like.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Thistle...

Nice looking dog 1st lab x I've seen how do you think they compare to the collie cross Phil? 

6 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

I only mouch about, hunting the odd shushi, here and there, so my needs are simple,..however, I much prefer lurchers, created from the various Pastoral breeds...?

DSC_9799.thumb.JPG.dee0810a0d1a61db7af2ab9cff20c3ba.JPG

You do have some cracking dogs Phil always liked my merles but have always had the blue merles id like a red merle before im done I know the coulor doesn't make a dog but they if they were a merle in any litter itd be my 1st choice

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Thistle...

That's exactly what he's after Phil...a mouching partner....doesn't need a speed machine or a coursing dog.When I was after a pup a couple of years ago Northernlite put me in touch with him,he gifted me a pup ,wouldn't accept a penny...we keep in touch he's a cracking lad,when he told me he'd lost his bitch last week he said he was after this cross in the future.So I'm trying to help him out atb Dave. 

• Like 5

I first met John in the late 70s when he was making a name for himself, he was as driven and passionate as anyone could be!

His dogs became some of, if not the best around. Not sure about 40 years later mind?

Cheers, D.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Str said:

You don’t need to go to Drakeshead kennel directly there’s loads of lads with dogs from that kennel that would be ideal, I used to charge £150 to use my old lab to a lab.

I think you would be very lucky to get a stud at that money today unless your good mates with the owner and some may not even put there's  over a grey hound the only reason I mentioned shoot lodge was because a lad with a very decent greyhound bitch was looking at this cross  and he chose his atlenthic looking red dog but she was killed before a lining took place