Our local town centre has always had a problem with rats around the river that runs near a shopping centre . Recently a pest control firm vowed to clear them forever lol a tall order . People feed the ducks to excess and signs are up everywhere not to but still it goes on . 

I happened by there after work and stood and watched a total of 13 rats taking bread back to holes . They were different rats of different sizes . The council has laid mesh over the bank to prevent them from digging holes but in their stupidity they used plastic mesh and now the bank is like a cheese lol . 

Personally I find them entertaining but a women also watching  was horrified but couldn’t see the corrulation between the bread meant for the ducks and the ever present rat problem . I ended up having to walk away from the silly bitch when she threw best part of a loaf in the water . . Does the council have an obligation to physically enforce a no feeding policy . 

E7C0756A-043A-45D6-91CB-E57757901EF0.png

The river is deep enough for decent sized fish and last year I saw a small pike take a half grown rat as it swam out to get some bread which made my day lol

• Like 4

From the shadow, I'd say it's a Great White.

Rat infestations are like the fire triangle but with an extra side - if you think of oxygen, heat, fuel as food, water, harbourage and HUMANS; permanently remove one element and there is no problem. Of course, there are also scenarios where an 'innocent' party gets affected - the accountant next to the chicken shop with a roof full of rat shit and buffalo wing bones - but when it comes to self inflicted problems I would rather spend 5 minutes reading the riot act and then walk away rather than wasting my energy on a lost cause.

Edited by LuckOrJudgement
Correct term

The incompetence of councils allows me to make a living. 

If councils simply stuck to baiting sewers and enforcing hygiene rules (keeping public areas tidy, making businesses keep yards clean ETC) then we could massively make a difference to rat problems in towns. 

As it is I find councils a joke, most aren't even aware that sewers are an issue. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

From the shadow, I'd say it's a Great White.

Rat infestations are like the fire triangle but with an extra side - if you think of oxygen, heat, fuel as food, water, harbourage and HUMANS; permanently remove one element and there is no problem. Of course, there are also scenarios where an 'innocent' party gets affected - the accountant next to the chicken shop with a roof full of rat shit and buffalo wing bones - but when it comes to self inflicted problems I would rather spend 5 minutes reading the riot act and then walk away rather than wasting my energy on a lost cause.

Thank you Michael Hawkins lol.

• Haha 1

what a strange lot the general public are .

I had one rather eccentric lady baffled that she had a growing number of rats living in her garden.

She  went on to tell me she boiled up a saucepan of pasta every night and left it on the lawn , so the birds had something to eat when they woke up.

she seamed baffled when i told her the rats where thriving on her food handouts.?

• Like 1