Urban wildlife.

2 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

We used to catch em but the bucket full as kids but the council turnt the one place we found them into grassland. I don't mean like a meadow either but short lawn type 

instant dismissal on our site if you mess with the newts... they like living under bricks:laugh:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some guy in the city I used to live took these pics,the rivers cleaned up massively since I was a kid,i know exactly where these pics were taken,granted they aren't pin-sharp but they were right-place

Saw this today, butterfly nest 

Little fella i found at work yesterday...

Posted Images

11 hours ago, shaaark said:

Was just being facetious mate ?. Been out and about in the countryside all my life, and still haven't seen certain things that some people have seen, even though they've spent probably less than a hundredth the amount of time in the countryside than I have. And that's the point I've been trying to make. 

My 1st job, trainee underkeeper. 2nd job pest control. Kept and worked lurchers since the 70's, lived all my life surrounded by fields, woods etc. Fished the same river, taff, off and on for forty years, day and night, which has otters on, and I've still not seen one otter ?

There was an owl along the Severn estuary some years back that was causing quite a stir among the bird watchers even the bald bloke with the lisp from the one show was down there for a look, I was out and about on my travels and turned down the lane to the old aust ferry and this owl came out the hedge and flew along side my motor for about a half mile dead level with the window as all these blokes in full camo grabbed there scopes and chased along the road behind me it was quite surreal but just highlights how much luck plays in these things, a few seconds early or late and it’s gone, ✌️✌️

DSC_1542.thumb.JPG.47afce2df0f63f8fff159ea29ac601a3.JPGDSC_1986.thumb.JPG.830a5d0eecf4d23f5104727c09a7a814.JPGseen them parakeets when i was working in sussex garden's London few yrs back,and around north finchley?kids found a few toads when we were swim building last weekend on the river.used to walk the old railwayway line as a kid and put a bottle over the hole end of those concrete posts that wire fencing ran through and poke with a stick and catch loads of those lizards,they drop the tail if scared like a slow worm?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Daniel cain said:

seen them parakeets when i was working in sussex garden's London 

Seen a few pulling a hole in a tree down the street the other week,nesting,theres a woodpecker also doing the same.

So right Greyman alway out and about by rivers and such and only seen one Otter on the river. Were I work in an amusement park they had all the trout I would creep down to the ponds to get a glimps to no avail. Even one day I was down Slapton Ley to see a Starling murmuration when a saw a crowed on a little bridge, asked what are you looking for "oh the Otter and two cubs come by and go under the bridge every night" only not that night Lol.

Cheers Arry

I had an otter chase a trout i had on a line in a weir pool in someones garden at dusk once,fecking thing came right up under the rod tip after it and i nearly gave the game away by shouting at it to scare it off from grabbing my trout..:laugh:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

There was an owl along the Severn estuary some years back that was causing quite a stir among the bird watchers even the bald bloke with the lisp from the one show was down there for a look, I was out and about on my travels and turned down the lane to the old aust ferry and this owl came out the hedge and flew along side my motor for about a half mile dead level with the window as all these blokes in full camo grabbed there scopes and chased along the road behind me it was quite surreal but just highlights how much luck plays in these things, a few seconds early or late and it’s gone, ✌️✌️

What type of owl was it G?

A couple of pals of mine tried to buy a plot of land close to Hackney Marshes for development a few years ago they was told that on top of the price of the land they would have to pay 1.2 million to catch and re - home the estimated 20 - 30 Great Crested Newts i think they were called that were on the protected species list.....i remember saying to them at the time i,ll get a couple of lads off of a forum i go on to do it for a bullseye per head?

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, shaaark said:

What type of owl was it G?

It’s one that fly,s during daylight, either long or short eared can never remember which, had a little bird swimming around in my swim on a lake I was fishing around 10 years back a tiny little grebe saw it for three weekends over 2 weeks and on the last day a bloke popped out the bush,s and started taking pictures and getting rather excited about it, turned out it was one of only 9 in the uk red fronted or red necked grebe, I think there are probably quite a few rare and unusual things around us that we just never manage to identify I,m often looking through books or the inter web to identify things I see, living along the Severn estuary seems to bring many weird and wonderful things both flying and swimming, have had everything from ospreys to whales jus most people are to busy and wearing earplugs wtf ✌️✌️✌️

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Greyman said:

It’s one that fly,s during daylight, either long or short eared can never remember which, had a little bird swimming around in my swim on a lake I was fishing around 10 years back a tiny little grebe saw it for three weekends over 2 weeks and on the last day a bloke popped out the bush,s and started taking pictures and getting rather excited about it, turned out it was one of only 9 in the uk red fronted or red necked grebe, I think there are probably quite a few rare and unusual things around us that we just never manage to identify I,m often looking through books or the inter web to identify things I see, living along the Severn estuary seems to bring many weird and wonderful things both flying and swimming, have had everything from ospreys to whales jus most people are to busy and wearing earplugs wtf ✌️✌️✌️

Vulture other year wasn't it 

• Like 1
Just now, forest of dean redneck said:

Vulture other year wasn't it 

Saw him twice mate 9ft wingspan flying over Bristol and barely another soul saw it, by the time he made it down to exmoor or Dartmoor there were thousands coming from everywhere to get a glimpse, much to the annoyance of many of my passengers my head is like an owls, it spins round 360 degrees as I,m driving, and I,m constantly scanning from floor to sky when I,m walking, would say Danial Caine is much the same as I,ve been out with him several times and he,s switched on to it as well even the carcasses on the side of the road tell a story and are noticed and noted down ✌️✌️✌️

• Like 1

Just seen a vid on FB this morning, of a Roe deer walking along my old street in Anfield Liverpool.

If anyone knows the area (Liverpool 4) then you'd know how urban the location is but i believe there is a small population living happily on an abandoned site next to the old railway line (their way in!). They have also been spotted in local parks near to the same line.

24 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

I've seen 2 live otters; one on a river fairly close to home and the other lamping a field in somerset

Think the Somerset levels were one of the first places to have otters released on plus the few native ones get moved about by newcomers as they are pretty territorial and won’t tolerate another on there patch, I had a fishing lake down there in the 90,S and otters turned up around 98/99 ate all my ducklings, goslings plus a couple of grands worth of carp, saw the slide he used to come into the lake, saw the carcasses he left around the lake but the nearest I ever got to see him was I heard a splash and saw a trail of bubbles lead into a large reed bed before he was gone, ✌️