Spare wheel

try getting a puncture and you take out the jack and theres no handle for it  after being left somewhere after the last puncture ,,complete pain in the bollix ....only happened recently to me ..last puncture i got was at night ,,pissed off i threw all the gear back in the boot EXCEPT  the jack handle ...last week tyre burst ...im snookered at the side of the road ..felt like a right dope 

Went with my missus to buy new car she wanted a Mazda MX 5 £24000 pound and comes with no spare wheel, I said what do you do if you get puncture for the first 3 years you can ring Mazda who will come and fix after that your problem, told him what he could do with is car.

I would buy a spare and put it in the boot if it was the car I wanted. maybe after she had it 3 years? being a woman she will probably phone somebody to swap it anyway so might as well be mazda for the first 3 years 

downside is the space 

I bought a new Honda Jazz for the wife. It didn't come with a Jack or a spare wheel At all. There was a small electric compressor and a bottle of glue liquid that attaches to the compressor. The small  glue pot is about £45 !!. If you can't pump the tyre up you have to have the car recovered on another transport to a tyre depot. You can buy the items but a  new wheel and jack is around  £400  I did a bìt of research and went to a scrap yard and got a honda jack and a temp spare wheel off of a rover which was the same pcd and was a bigger diameter more suited to the size of the wheels on the car. ( the Honda temp spares seèmed miles to smaĺl) and had strut clearance, and a road triangle out of a Volvo for £15. All of this stuff was like brand new, probably never Been out of the boot. I read somewhere that most people  only get a puñcture once every 15 years which is probably right but it is a bummer if you hit a bit of stuff which does damage the tyre beyond pumping it back up or your just unlucky to find a nail. Anyway our Honda is now with spare wheel and Jack.

6 minutes ago, smithie said:

I would buy a spare and put it in the boot if it was the car I wanted. maybe after she had it 3 years? being a woman she will probably phone somebody to swap it anyway so might as well be mazda for the first 3 years 

downside is the space 

Edited to add https://www.national.co.uk/information/run-flat-tyres

Minor problem. I just typed our reg into that site and it came back with no match available !! I put the reg into another site and it came back with about £110 per tyre. I dont know if that was for a run flat or a standard tyre.

That’s why im in the green flag ?

best thing happened to me lately went to do front brake pads an there’s locking wheel stud on car , couldn’t find the tool?

so tried a tool from Halfords didn’t work went to Citroen main dealer £70 lighter an 2 weeks later got new tool , done drivers side pads round to passenger side studs cheers to feck , tool wouldn’t work so me dad spent 2 hrs drilling stud out, done the pads and as he tightened the studs up I said here’s the locking tool an he said it’s ok I got it , turned out there was one tangled up in the sat nav lead ?

I went to scrappy and bought 4 studs for a fiver an took the locking studs off ?

Few seasons ago my mate bought a merc ml 270 jeep thing, big silly over sized alloys and tyres, ended up having a blow out on m6 on the way home to Southampton way after a long days digging in n. Wales.. Got the space saver tyre from underneath and it was flat as a pancake ?‍♂️i ran a few mile upto the nearest slip road and found a garage.... Bought the last 2 cans of tyreweld they had, managed to limp back to my pals place, then had a couple of hrs drive back to Wales..... Got home at 4 am on the monday, then up for work at 6.mate scrapped the bucket of shit merc.... And now makes sure hes got the tyreweld handy.... Lesson learnt, last thing you want is the law stopping to help when you have well worked dogs with you, even with the permission slips and firearms?both mine and the wifes motor have full sized spares and a can of tyreweld handy...... Saved the day a few times?

Son bought a new vauxhall viva theres nothing in the boot , when he takes it back they go to another car and take out a bottle of puncture  repair kit and give him that LOL dont know if the same happened to his or a mechanic had a use for one 

I kinda see where the direction is headed but it just raises the questions of over-reliance on technology. Preparedness is an evolving concept but not carrying the basics seems like trouble in the making.

Out here if all you carry is mobile phone and bottle of glue you'll be well and truly f*ck*d in an emergency. The thought of having a flat tire in the middle of the Mojave when it's 125ºF outside is frankly frightening. I don't even leave the house without 5 gallons of water in the truck. You might have to walk 30 miles before you get a signal on your phone.