On 10/09/2018 at 19:12, terryd said:

do the foxes just tuck under the rocks or do the holes go into the mountain or do you just not know ?

A fox will utilise every part of a pile and will be found at different levels at different times,its impossible to know how a pile works until you put a terrier in.The majority of the piles we work now have often a very rich history of terriermen that have visited them over many a decade and many of us learned the workings of certain locations from some of our learned elders.At other times we will have no clue as to how a terrier entered will do and then its a case of trial and error.Some workings id not enter a terrier to now because they are just known death traps.In the end it boils down to the terrier thats entered,ive owned certain terriers that i freely entered in a spot where another terrier ive owned id not risk.Its a given that at some time or another you will enter a terrier and thats the last you will see of it,rocks do not hold a monopoly on that as ill warrant more terriers are lost away from the boulders.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same earth   

i

I think Ziggy has summed it all up,   in rocks i find you need a dog thats not going to waffled about and needs to make sure the fox thinks it's safer to bolt than stay in the pile ,  working cracks a

Posted Images

Few pics of a good day dog had squeezed in to a very tight pile... she had killes him within 10 mins of going in.. so aftet a couple of hours we decided to dig her as a rock had fallen behind her but we dident no till we got down..she would never have got out..

... my finger tips were sore that day lol.. 

20181021_091256.jpg

20181007_182258.jpg

Edited by ziggy
  • Like 14

we had a dog go into a spot on the Saturday  first fox bolted and was shot but the dog dident show ..later that night a second fox came but still no dog.. we had to block the pile best we could and put coats and food in as in the past when a dog spends the night you get ther in the morning and ther generally sat curled up on ya jacket waiting behinde the the rock you blocked the entrance with... so dog went in Saturday and we couldent here nothing all week.. then on the friday we was back early morning un blocking the pile and lisening to see if we could here out.. the wind was so bad it was pissing it down so hard it was makeing it impossible to here out.. but i thought i could here her moving in the pile but wasent sure..my mate listened in the same place an he said he could hear her to ... within 10 more mins of being ther she poped out wagging her tail with excitement to see us... 

• Like 13
  • 4 years later...

Imo two types suitable for rock piles, a dog capable of killing it's fox quick or one that can be called out after a time if the fox won't bolt. Personally I'd prefer one that can be called out cos even a killer could end up being stuck in a pile for a long time. Definitely there's a dog for every type of situation. Some land in Ireland is really undiggable so a terrier that can't kill or be called away is no use. 

• Like 1

Respect to all the men that have and still do work these places .Personally it sends a shiver through my body thinking about entering a dog into those places .

Does the bellman work in rocks or do lads prefer a dog without a collar for fear of getting hung up .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Respect to all the men that have and still do work these places .Personally it sends a shiver through my body thinking about entering a dog into those places .

Does the bellman work in rocks or do lads prefer a dog without a collar for fear of getting hung up .

Depends on the rock pile we put dog in some that deep you can't find the dog we used the old grey box till broke  got the 40 ft one still not find dog in most spots , bellman collar to big for rock work , we don't own a rock dog now old bitch was put to sleep a bit back , pic of two good rock dogs both gone rip midget an Molly IMG-20220411-WA0001.jpg.29aacfeb9b48772c96358e47dcdf5dbe.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, tank34 said:

Depends on the rock pile we put dog in some that deep you can't find the dog we used the old grey box till broke  got the 40 ft one still not find dog in most spots , bellman collar to big for rock work , we don't own a rock dog now old bitch was put to sleep a bit back , pic of two good rock dogs both gone rip midget an Molly IMG-20220411-WA0001.jpg.29aacfeb9b48772c96358e47dcdf5dbe.jpg

Old one looks a bit like my border x pat that I used to have 

What terriers do you work now tank ?

49 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Old one looks a bit like my border x pat that I used to have 

What terriers do you work now tank ?

There mother an daughter old bitch was lost in rock she was about 9 year old when lost both was rock dogs get odd dig with them but only if shallow as would come out drop back in , just got beddy type on she to big for rock piles ?

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 30/08/2018 at 08:25, terryd said:

Christ why would you put a dog in there 

It’s like asking why would u out ur best mate in front of a train ? U wouldn’t do it ?‍♂️ if I didn’t have rabbits where I live or near I wouldn’t have a rabbiting dog, if u got not sensible earths near u and not prepared to travel don’t have a terrier ?‍♂️ simple