On 28/08/2018 at 20:51, ands said:

Great thread - i think we'd all be surprised how often a fox is to ground in rocks and we struggle to mark him?

They are as easily marked in rocks as in earths,the terrier just has to work a tad harder,many a modernish terrier cannot navigate the rocks to find its mark.

• Like 1

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same earth   

i

I think Ziggy has summed it all up,   in rocks i find you need a dog thats not going to waffled about and needs to make sure the fox thinks it's safer to bolt than stay in the pile ,  working cracks a

Posted Images

Some of the Bradford and Lancashire lads will remember the rock piles between Denholme and Cullingworth,the Grippon quarry.That place was worked for many a decade by many a terrierman,the different rock holding spots in that location where named after the times the terriers where stuck in them,2 day hold,10 day hold,5 day hold etc.Many a terrier was lost in that location and many more earnt their crust doing what they where bred for.Its all covered,apart from a couple of piles,with landfill now,the odd tunnel showing in shallow muck is not evidence of the danger below,few folk visit the site now.I work many a quarry around the Bradford area and its easy enough to work ancient workings,its far more dangerous to work new workings and piles that have not had time to settle.

On 30/08/2018 at 20:12, Wales1234 said:

There’s loads bad places by me right behind me there a old mine , I had a lurcher in a old rock place for 4 hours ! My cousin and a few others walk there regular with terriers off the lead I think it’s asking for trouble 

Id rather work rock than sandy spots,i know of a moor above Littleborough where hounds have been lost in mine shafts.The majority of rock piles have working terrier history,folk that worked them before you often have the best advice on where to enter and when to give grace.Rock working terriers are now as scarce as the owner capable of working them,thats a fecking shame and an embarrasment to some of the breeds that own their ancestry to rock.

• Like 2

Do you have a marking dog Morton that is unable to enter a pile lurcher or hound or do you just loose your terriers and hope they find ,I was talking to a lad who got drawn in to looking for your dog in a pile and when it all came out, you had no idea if the dog had entered the pile ,no collar no idea what if anything it had entered for [there is more than a fox lives in a rock pile ] or do your mutts no just to work fox when on the piles 

We used to have the terriers coupled until we got a mark I was lucky enough to have a couple of good marking dogs between me and mates and only when if we new the pile which still don't mean dog in fox out scenario ,and if we didn't no the pile we would make a educated guess on the chances of getting a result everything seems chaotic the way you do things...…... just trying to point the young lads in the right direction for a few results 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, ands said:

I wonder is there a huntsman- lurcher owner  on here that believes he can mark every fox thats to ground in rocks?

My old beddy whippet could mark up the rock piles an was never wrong an the little dog could skid over the piles after a bolt he was worked on the piles from young age 

5 hours ago, ands said:

I wonder is there a huntsman- lurcher owner  on here that believes he can mark every fox thats to ground in rocks?

Il hold my hands up to that one ands seen it happen on afew occasion where my lurchers have marked/run one in and and the fox has moved around before iv got there with the terriers and they've lost their mark they know his in there but can't  hold a mark also couple of sea sons back  hounds put one in young bedlington bitch pit him out he went 50 yards across the stones back in and neither terriers I had with me or hounds could find or get a mark atb rt

• Like 1

Good thread and no bickering or insults. I'm glad to see that lads except it takes a different type to work rock and it's not all about the stay until dug earthdog. We all love  and appreciate a stayer but they can be a pain in the hole sometimes too. We can't walk the fcukers 50 yards without a lead on ???

• Like 3

Foxes can get in tight in soil but I've seen them push in, in  rock holes a terrier can't even get its head in once ran one in to a horizontal crack in the rock the Fox could be seen pushed in tight no terrier could even get its head in a good hob ferret would of had a job he bested us that day and i thought it may of been his grave as it was that tight , I went back the next day foxy was gone except for a bit of back fur you'd never of know he had been there 

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Glyn..... said:

Foxes can get in tight in soil but I've seen them push in, in  rock holes a terrier can't even get its head in once ran one in to a horizontal crack in the rock the Fox could be seen pushed in tight no terrier could even get its head in a good hob ferret would of had a job he bested us that day and i thought it may of been his grave as it was that tight , I went back the next day foxy was gone except for a bit of back fur you'd never of know he had been there 

I watched one the other day (the dog was marking the living daylights out of this one lol) through a gap in rocks actually squeezing his way into a safer part of the "earth" definatley would have been a big ask for a small terrier to follow him!

2 hours ago, russell tuck said:

Il hold my hands up to that one ands seen it happen on afew occasion where my lurchers have marked/run one in and and the fox has moved around before iv got there with the terriers and they've lost their mark they know his in there but can't  hold a mark also couple of sea sons back  hounds put one in young bedlington bitch pit him out he went 50 yards across the stones back in and neither terriers I had with me or hounds could find or get a mark atb rt

Seen it myself too RT, dogs hunting then riseing one running him in and amazingly soon comeing off a mark! Also watched foxes go in (rock earth) and not be marked when the dogs arrive. Damn good marking dogs too. Thats why its easy to believe your dogs will mark everyone but some earths piles etc must be so vast as far as the dogs concerned they've gone?

• Like 1