• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same earth   

i

I think Ziggy has summed it all up,   in rocks i find you need a dog thats not going to waffled about and needs to make sure the fox thinks it's safer to bolt than stay in the pile ,  working cracks a

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Stormer said:

This is a bad spot were a few dogs were tried over the years. Unfortunatly the few dogs that were entered never came out.

IMG-20121119-WA001.jpg.5e202a466fe14b4173c87e404382f40c.jpg20180829_201258.jpg.2526429277132483bb64eb0bae30e59c.jpg

You'd have thought after the first few that were lost the lessons would have been learned? 

Edited by Kerny92
3 minutes ago, terryd said:

Could hold the last fox in the uk think I would be off to find some rats 

Sorry Terry I was being sarcastic, as I was saying on another thread, you look at some of these places and think 'what good outcome is there going to be from a dog going in there?', if the best is a fox bolting, then I'd think it's best to leave it there.

• Like 3

We never put a dog in, even if we wanted to, the keeper wouldn't let us as they have learned from the past.

There was a small spot in the corner that goes round wich we did tried and we blocked the other entrance for obvience reasons.?

These spots gives me the creeps.

11 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Are really dodgy places not 'shut up' permanently? If possible of course.

Nigh on impossible in a lot of places, lots of shafts are capped but they get dug into by badgers and rabbits and some of the old piles around quarries are fortresses.

Cheers, D.

• Like 3

There’s loads bad places by me right behind me there a old mine , I had a lurcher in a old rock place for 4 hours ! My cousin and a few others walk there regular with terriers off the lead I think it’s asking for trouble 

All ways get a chill seeing earths where dogs have been lost. Know for a couple around here in the bottom of banks. One was close to a ferreting spot and I all ways popped lead on as we got close. Caught me out one day and I forgot and he slipped in. Couldn't locate him any where then after 20 minutes he showed so thankfully nothing at home. I ran off into the trees screaming rabbit rabbit and he followed me and I dived on the ferker lol before he went back in 

• Haha 4
On 27/08/2018 at 15:52, Rabbit Hunter said:

Ratface-

Do you think the rocks led to the decline of the Working Lakelands? As surely before long you're breeding from either half hearted yappers or bullies that are giving way when they meet one that gives as good as it gets. Either way both undesirable traits to have/ breed from.

The decline in the Lakeland was when they went into digging and show kennels,their working outlook and physical conformation changed from a rock working terrier, than had a century or more of graft behind its evolution, to then fade into a boxy mute show and digging mongrel that had little in comparison to its Lake and Fell roots. The Lakey was bred for rock work in rock country and only the Bedlington was capable of working to the same standard in the area they were bred to work in,perchance.When the Lakeland,because of its superior hunting ethos,its looks and characterr,became popular away from its roots then folk attempted to re-invent a terrier that did not need re-inventing,thus the decline in another once honest and industrious jukel.

• Like 2
On 28/08/2018 at 20:31, tank34 said:

Fox love the rock piles an hold most of the time loads of earth about me but don't use em much as the rock 

I find the same,i can walk from earth to earth and its often difficult to find them occupied,especially when other terrier folk are at them over the season,the rocks have an habit of holding more than earths are allowed to,you pass an opportunity or grasp the occasion.

• Like 1