Know some rock spots on railway banks man made not a place to put dog in as built up with big rock an have big drops where dog can drop down , think anyone getting into rock work should try find old boys who will know the rock piles 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same earth   

i

I think Ziggy has summed it all up,   in rocks i find you need a dog thats not going to waffled about and needs to make sure the fox thinks it's safer to bolt than stay in the pile ,  working cracks a

Posted Images

I think Ziggy has summed it all up,   in rocks i find you need a dog thats not going to waffled about and needs to make sure the fox thinks it's safer to bolt than stay in the pile ,  working cracks and natural sink hole where water flows, never enter a dog with water running in  as it may not be able to grip and end up going very deep and unable to get out before it freezes, the  worst rocks piles i've ever encountered are on the berwyn range , these look like soil earths until you get down about 5 foot  then it turns into a rock pile afew sunk without trace in these places , never put your dog in old slate tips many of these cover the entrance to mine shafts and cave networks allowing your dog to drop hundreds of feet  no fox is worth a good terrier 

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 14
3 hours ago, rob284 said:

What happens if they come across other quarry in the rock piles? I know of a few piles up north like that, will the dogs just leave them?       you have to read piles you tip in as they do pop in them time to time,, thats were noing the places you hunt you no were they live and read the signs ...

1 hour ago, liamdelaney said:

Back in the day when we were digging badgers,if we had a dog that would only stay with fox he was considered useless ,and was giving to fox men.How times have changed.

I don’t know how it’s changed, you have a fox dog for foxes and a badger dog for badgers. The dog you keep depends on the work you do.

35 minutes ago, rob284 said:

I don’t know how it’s changed, you have a fox dog for foxes and a badger dog for badgers. The dog you keep depends on the work you do.

It has changed because badger digging is illegal now,and should be left alone.Baker boy the reason badger diggers did not keep fox dogs if they would walk from the badger they were rated as failures.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Few places by me, you enter a dog and it can pop out a few miles away if your lucky ? earths open up into old tin mines, once had a few couple of hounds, 2 bull xs, a spaniel and a terrier to ground after running a fox in........ Couple of times ive drawn the short straw and gone in to get them, few seasons ago the new huntsman had it on him when they had one in the same spot.... Face was a picture when i told him 'id not drop a freeads special in there pal' let alone one of my diggers lol, get f****d?IMG_20171001_152024_334.thumb.jpg.553fcf56655ad9aadb49825b1c91dbab.jpg

Know a few good  digging dogs get entered into rock piles, bottom of quarry faces never to be seen again..... Not for me but some lads have no choice if they want work for the dogs ?

That mongrel is a bit big in the hoop. You should cut it back on the tripe a bit.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dug a few places that look easy from outside.... Get down a few feet through the soil and then sand or ash from the old coal mines, dug for 4 days once after a young lads lakeland went to ground on a rabbit?‍♂️3rd day left a coat in the hole, came back it was gone?4 th day we were digging out live rabbits broke into a tube and there was a vixen and cubs very much alive lol, no sign of the dog mind...... Then the rspca and police tipped up from nowhere accusing us of digging badger lol..... We had fell and moorland lads there helping us that day..... Folks started running all directions..... I stayed in the hole digging told them get f****d, lucky the fire brigade came first day and it was logged. Turned out rspca inspector had seen us while walking her dog and taken the coat as evidence...... Silly f***ing rat?

• Like 4

Used to do a few places that couldn’t be dug but we usually used a ten minute wonder that would show if it couldn’t get the fox shifted, I have bitch here now that I’ve never dug but she’s bolted every fox she’s came in contact with but she’s a hard mixing type but I guess she gives them enough room to get past her but she gets the lurcher a fare bit of sport.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, russell tuck said:

I know exactly the type of terrier you talk of as the one her is the same will do around the hour mark and come out straight back to him from another passage the hounds and lurcher have many a fox from un dig able places dew to that little bitch 

I was kind of gutted at first because I like a dig, lol, but the bitch is useful enough and won’t hold you up if she enters there’s a fox going to bolt, a lot of men wouldn’t dream of owning such a terrier, at one time I was the same but she’s good at what she does so she has her place.

• Like 5

Iv a bitch here I can dig to and a bedlington bitch for in the rocks and bad places as that the mostly what I have around me and if it is in a place I can have a dig I will the Russell bitch is old now iv retired her 3 seasons running and I just keep taking her as she's good at what she does but il not have her out this season unless I'm stuck

Edited by russell tuck
  • Like 2