17 minutes ago, Lozzer said:

The must be places you'd look at and think you'd never put a terrier in there, just not diggable .I've saw them myself.  A stayer of any type could be gone forever and you could do fk all about it .dogs getting trapped , thatcould  happen to any.  Fair play to any who work it with success 

That's my whole point loz  people want a dog to stick/stay in a dig now. If a rock dog stays Well you have a dead dog in a stony tomb

It's common for a rock dog to move/show to try find a different way to get the Fox to shift, now if you was 6 ft down on a dig and the dog shown well it's a jacker int it. 

Different animals and should judged on different merits. 

• Like 5

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same earth   

i

I think Ziggy has summed it all up,   in rocks i find you need a dog thats not going to waffled about and needs to make sure the fox thinks it's safer to bolt than stay in the pile ,  working cracks a

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, russell tuck said:

Screenshot_2018-08-27-14-26-44.thumb.png.7f0ba830d941e22c0d77cb658354c40f.png

Dc I know the feeling it's a sickener but needs must mate iv had the go in on more than one occasion to pull hounds before now Atb rt

These days i stay well clear but know lads that wont because its all they got to go at?give me a 3/4 m dig in the chalk all day long lol, i personally couldnt sit there and listen to a dog in somewhere i couldnt touch with a shovel and bar. I like to go home whatever the outcome with em...... dead or alive ?

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Rat face said:

That's my whole point loz  people want a dog to stick/stay in a dig now. If a rock dog stays Well you have a dead dog in a stony tomb

It's common for a rock dog to move/show to try find a different way to get the Fox to shift, now if you was 6 ft down on a dig and the dog shown well it's a jacker int it. 

I get what you mean and a good dog in the rock place not only needs the agility but be a canny fkr on travelling about and if that means showing well that's his work 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Rat face said:

So would you breed off the type of terrier you just described RF? As surely they're the type that would be a cull in digging terriers.

Exactly RH That's the point I'm making. People breed for a dog to stay. I only work the rock with my cousin. So maybe I'm not qualified to talk about it. 

If i did more rock work then I would defo I know lads get good numbers from working rock 

My point been there two different types of dogs and should be treated as so and both should not be crossed 

• Like 3

Ratface-

Do you think the rocks led to the decline of the Working Lakelands? As surely before long you're breeding from either half hearted yappers or bullies that are giving way when they meet one that gives as good as it gets. Either way both undesirable traits to have/ breed from.

Edited by Rabbit Hunter

Just my opinion but yeah. I would say the decline of the traditional type terrier was more to do with rise of the digging dog. I know when my dad was getting dogs from Frank buck pre change to the digging laws, he's never wanted any of his dogs to go working the big fellows. Now they wasn't wind and piss types and when they did bump into one ( pre change to the laws) the dogs would ruin themselves on them. Due to the fact they was keen. So i wouldn't agree they would give way but didn't have the  ability to hold due to size. 

Remember the old type of fell type terriers was half size if not less than most of today's digging dogs 

My views  on the matter is there Is better dogs more suited to the digging game. But would that dog be any good to a Lakeland huntsman after a pack of hounds have hard run a fox into a cragg

It's simply horses for courses.  one dog will suit one man's sport and not another 

but opinions are like arseholes everyone has one

Edited by Rat face
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
52 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

So would you breed off the type of terrier you just described RF? As surely they're the type that would be a cull in digging terriers.

No not culls rock is all about the bolt some rock dogs can lose the fox come out drop back in gets job done same dog will stay till dug in earths so not culls 

• Like 1

You can dig to my cousins dog and we have and still do but would I want to start sinking a hole at 15 ft to the dog.....  no because I know sometimes he will show. Now I'm not nocking the dog we have had a lot of tackle with the dog into the hundreds. but he's not a digging dog but he's a hell of a knock about dog and would kennel him tomorrow. It's all about been honest with what you have. 

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Rat face said:

Just my opinion but yeah. I would say the decline of the traditional type terrier was more to do with rise of the digging dog. I know when my dad was getting dogs from Frank buck pre change to the digging laws, he's never wanted any of his dogs to go working the big fellows. Now they wasn't wind and piss types and when they did bump into one ( pre change to the laws) the dogs would ruin themselves on them. Due to the fact they was keen. So i wouldn't agree they would give way but didn't have the  ability to hold due to size. 

Remember the old type of fell type terriers was half size if not less than most of today's digging dogs 

My views  on the matter is there Is better dogs more suited to the digging game. But would that dog be any good to a Lakeland huntsman after a pack of hounds have hard run a fox into a cragg

It's simply horses for courses.  one dog will suit one man's sport and not another 

but opinions are like arseholes everyone has one

Back in the day when we were digging badgers,if we had a dog that would only stay with fox he was considered useless ,and was giving to fox men.How times have changed.

• Like 2