• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same earth   

i

I think Ziggy has summed it all up,   in rocks i find you need a dog thats not going to waffled about and needs to make sure the fox thinks it's safer to bolt than stay in the pile ,  working cracks a

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I admire these rescues Ziggy, BUT how many good dogs have been lost? I'd imagine it outweighs the rescues.

My mate lost his bitch in rock she was over 9 year old an the rock pile she was lost in she worked it for 8 season's very deep place we want back every day for a month never tobe seen again , she was very good in rock always found the pic I put up of black bitch is her daughter 

Fair play boys,I put dogs into bad places myself down the years, pre locator ,big fairy forts and such places,but I would not put a dog into rock it scares me just to look at it.Many years ago at a dog show in Roscrea the judge from Wales gave best terrier to a scrawny shite looking white dog,we had a few pints after and I asked him why,he explained rock dogs it was the first time I heard that name.Obviously that was his kind of hunting in his terrain in Wales.

Edited by liamdelaney
  • Like 3

The dogs are amazing working in them conditions but I don't get the entering a dog where if it goes wrong you can't get to it. Then again no different to lamping a lurcher on ground you know you shouldn't be really 

Edited by terryd

Few places by me, you enter a dog and it can pop out a few miles away if your lucky ? earths open up into old tin mines, once had a few couple of hounds, 2 bull xs, a spaniel and a terrier to ground after running a fox in........ Couple of times ive drawn the short straw and gone in to get them, few seasons ago the new huntsman had it on him when they had one in the same spot.... Face was a picture when i told him 'id not drop a freeads special in there pal' let alone one of my diggers lol, get f****d?IMG_20171001_152024_334.thumb.jpg.553fcf56655ad9aadb49825b1c91dbab.jpg

Know a few good  digging dogs get entered into rock piles, bottom of quarry faces never to be seen again..... Not for me but some lads have no choice if they want work for the dogs ?

• Like 4

In my opinion eathdogs and digging dogs are completely different animals. You wouldn't want to go tipping a big bully type digging dog that one knows how to go forward. They are a different type of terrier rock dogs busy but cleaver. And  good on it's feet and able to climb well. 

• Like 2

The must be places you'd look at and think you'd never put a terrier in there, just not diggable .I've saw them myself.  A stayer of any type could be gone forever and you could do fk all about it .dogs getting trapped , thatcould  happen to any.  Fair play to any who work it with success 

11 minutes ago, Rat face said:

In my opinion eathdogs and digging dogs are completely different animals. You wouldn't want to go tipping a big bully type digging dog that one knows how to go forward. They are a different type of terrier rock dogs busy but cleaver. And  good on it's feet and able to climb well. 

What happens if they come across other quarry in the rock piles? I know of a few piles up north like that, will the dogs just leave them?