DIANA MAUSER K98 .177 under lever. Finally GOT IT!

Been after one since these came out a couple of years ago after hearing good things of it but, Diana seem to have undergone a few changes of distributor and my local shop, MGR Guns, Woodhall Spa, found getting one has been nigh impossible. So I gave up on the idea.

Well anyway. I popped in there yesterday afternoon for some ammo for the Pro Sport and there, on the wall it was, in all its glory! It previously belonged to a lady owner who found it too heavy for her and traded it in after barely using it. The rifle is in mint, unblemished condition. In fact, it's virtually brand new. I doubt there's even been half a tinful shot through it, the repro Mauser leather sling is still stiff and new.

Its .177 caliber. With a frankly useless little BSA scope and sling. £295! Bargain as these are now, about the £450 mark, if you can find one.

After an hour of testing various brands of pellets, it settles into some really good one hole groups with Air Arms Diabolo Express 4.52 pellets. I shot at 30 metres to find my bearings with the rifle. I'll do more longer range distance testing later.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS.

CONS. Well, alright, it's not an exact, precisely perfect copy of the Mauser 1935 pattern German Armed Forces K98 bolt action rifle but, it does make a very reasonable replica of the Mauser K98 profile as an air rifle can.

It's hefty alright,  over 9lbs scoped up as the real thing is, no bad thing for a recoiling spring rifle and the balance is well forward of the trigger guard by a good 8 inches. And that's with my Bushnell 4-14x50 scope fitted. It's twangy on firing. It is hold-sensitive and punchy in recoil. But that can be tamed.

PROS. There's a lot I love about this rifle.

It feels, shoulders, aims and handles exactly like the 7.92mm original. I used to own and shoot one!

The butt even features the receiver hole to insert and strip the bolt assembly.

It has open sights in exactly the same places, even the hooded foresight blade is authentically correct in appearance. Only the rear sight unit is a more conventional sight block. But, still maintains the essential look of the original K98 and these are very accurate to set for windage and elevation. I later shot sub-half inch groups at 30 metres with these open sights and that's fine for me with my eyesight what it is now a days.

The build quality is absolutely beautiful. Diana have always built superbly high standards of quality into their guns and this one's up with the very best. The full K98 stock is beech and a lovely, fully figured grain at that. The blueing is deep as German rifles are.

The trigger is seriously, amazingly good. Two stage adjustable with two screws on the trigger blade itself to adjust.. One turned to the left to lengthen first stage take-up and the second to adjust let-off weight. Simple, easy and really superb to set-up just exactly how you want it. 

Power is very consistent at 11.6 ft/lbs and the accuracy is precision one hole capable. To say it's described as a fun-gun copy, a good garden plinker with a military style, is selling it short of its true capacity as a hunter. I whacked a Collard Dove clean out, off my apple trees at over 30 metres range with it, no problem. I have no doubt it would be effective on Rabbits at reasonable range distances.

All this rifle needs is a tune. Maybe a tuning kit and fettle, maybe a visit to a really good spring rifle tuner ( Charlie Caller?) and the Diana Mauser K98 is as seriously fine a spring sporting air rifle as any Weihrauch I've ever had or currently own.

A better military replica air rifle than you might think it would be! 

Thanks for reading lads. The rifle is a real gem.

Simon/Pianoman.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pianoman said:

Been after one since these came out a couple of years ago after hearing good things of it but, Diana seem to have undergone a few changes of distributor and my local shop, MGR Guns, Woodhall Spa, found getting one has been nigh impossible. So I gave up on the idea.

Well anyway. I popped in there yesterday afternoon for some ammo for the Pro Sport and there, on the wall it was, in all its glory! It previously belonged to a lady owner who found it too heavy for her and traded it in after barely using it. The rifle is in mint, unblemished condition. In fact, it's virtually brand new. I doubt there's even been half a tinful shot through it, the repro Mauser leather sling is still stiff and new.

Its .177 caliber. With a frankly useless little BSA scope and sling. £295! Bargain as these are now, about the £450 mark, if you can find one.

After an hour of testing various brands of pellets, it settles into some really good one hole groups with Air Arms Diabolo Express 4.52 pellets. I shot at 30 metres to find my bearings with the rifle. I'll do more longer range distance testing later.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS.

CONS. Well, alright, it's not an exact, precisely perfect copy of the Mauser 1935 pattern German Armed Forces K98 bolt action rifle but, it does make a very reasonable replica of the Mauser K98 profile as an air rifle can.

It's hefty alright,  over 9lbs scoped up as the real thing is, no bad thing for a recoiling spring rifle and the balance is well forward of the trigger guard by a good 8 inches. And that's with my Bushnell 4-14x50 scope fitted. It's twangy on firing. It is hold-sensitive and punchy in recoil. But that can be tamed.

PROS. There's a lot I love about this rifle.

It feels, shoulders, aims and handles exactly like the 7.92mm original. I used to own and shoot one!

The butt even features the receiver hole to insert and strip the bolt assembly.

It has open sights in exactly the same places, even the hooded foresight blade is authentically correct in appearance. Only the rear sight unit is a more conventional sight block. But, still maintains the essential look of the original K98 and these are very accurate to set for windage and elevation. I later shot sub-half inch groups at 30 metres with these open sights and that's fine for me with my eyesight what it is now a days.

The build quality is absolutely beautiful. Diana have always built superbly high standards of quality into their guns and this one's up with the very best. The full K98 stock is beech and a lovely, fully figured grain at that. The blueing is deep as German rifles are.

The trigger is seriously, amazingly good. Two stage adjustable with two screws on the trigger blade itself to adjust.. One turned to the left to lengthen first stage take-up and the second to adjust let-off weight. Simple, easy and really superb to set-up just exactly how you want it. 

Power is very consistent at 11.6 ft/lbs and the accuracy is precision one hole capable. To say it's described as a fun-gun copy, a good garden plinker with a military style, is selling it short of its true capacity as a hunter. I whacked a Collard Dove clean out, off my apple trees at over 30 metres range with it, no problem. I have no doubt it would be effective on Rabbits at reasonable range distances.

All this rifle needs is a tune. Maybe a tuning kit and fettle, maybe a visit to a really good spring rifle tuner ( Charlie Caller?) and the Diana Mauser K98 is as seriously fine a spring sporting air rifle as any Weihrauch I've ever had or currently own.

A better military replica air rifle than you might think it would be! 

Thanks for reading lads. The rifle is a real gem.

Simon/Pianoman.

Hi simon, longtime since i have been on hear bud how are you doing in this fine neck of the woods have you settled in now lol, the rifle sounds great mate how many you got now in your collection simon lol. cheers bud regards symon 

• Thanks 1

Go on Simon, - you can tell us :angel:.

Did ya buy the SS uniform too :whistling:

L & R on your wellies ?

Stick on tash  :icon_redface: :rofl:

If you miss when hunting, never stand up from the undergrowth shouting " Swine Hunt" !!! - with ya helmet on !  :nono:

Couldn`t resist the giggle mate :laugh: - no doubt you`ll get me back .

Joking aside, 11.6 ft/lbs with one hole groups is seriously good but hey, Diana make very good quality guns.

Enjoy the Mauser mate, it`ll be interesting to see which scope you settle on ?

A certain HW 97K .177 sends her best regards  :bye:

Best wishes,

Mark.

• Haha 2

It all ways warms my heart Simon when you get what you have wanted for so long

First was the pro sport a rifle you never thought you would own

until i stepped into your shooting life

with an old beach sporter pro sport stock that i converted into a left hander for you

then off you went and bought a stunning walnut pro sport

and i made you convert it to your hands so it was a one off custom made stock only to fit you no one else

my old friend .

I gave it the finishing touches (not that it needed it mind you had done a fine job your self )

So now you have 4 stunning rifles and two of them you never thought you would own

im made up for you Simon

Get Helen to put some pics up of it .

and i hope your both well my friend

all our love to the both of you

Nicola/Jimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, bigmac 97kt said:

It all ways warms my heart Simon when you get what you have wanted for so long

First was the pro sport a rifle you never thought you would own

until i stepped into your shooting life

with an old beach sporter pro sport stock that i converted into a left hander for you

then off you went and bought a stunning walnut pro sport

and i made you convert it to your hands so it was a one off custom made stock only to fit you no one else

my old friend .

I gave it the finishing touches (not that it needed it mind you had done a fine job your self )

So now you have 4 stunning rifles and two of them you never thought you would own

im made up for you Simon

Get Helen to put some pics up of it .

and i hope your both well my friend

all our love to the both of you

Nicola/Jimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

You BIG softy lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 minutes ago, falcongit said:

You BIG softy lol 

Yeah !  " Puff"  :air_kiss:  :rofl:

atb,-        "The Iceman."  :bye: 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, mark williams said:

Yeah !  " Puff"  :air_kiss:  :rofl:

atb,-        "The Iceman."  :bye: 

God i am cracking up here lol nice one Iceman lol

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, mark williams said:

Go on Simon, - you can tell us :angel:.

Did ya buy the SS uniform too :whistling:

L & R on your wellies ?

Stick on tash  :icon_redface: :rofl:

If you miss when hunting, never stand up from the undergrowth shouting " Swine Hunt" !!! - with ya helmet on !  :nono:

Couldn`t resist the giggle mate :laugh: - no doubt you`ll get me back .

Joking aside, 11.6 ft/lbs with one hole groups is seriously good but hey, Diana make very good quality guns.

Enjoy the Mauser mate, it`ll be interesting to see which scope you settle on ?

A certain HW 97K .177 sends her best regards  :bye:

Best wishes,

Mark.

I got rid of the wellies! It's German riding boots now!

SS uniform eh, hmmm......Already have a Wehrmacht uniform... And a ski cap with eagle and roundel cockade, and sniper's three-oak leaf badge.....Ha!

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind Ed Harris' Swedish Army parka from "Enemy At The Gates"! That's a lovely winter shooting jacket.

Thanks mate. I currently have an old, very reliable Bushnell Scopechief 4-14x50 which is superb on it. But a vintage optic that looks like a German wartime era scope for it would be great.

I am more than delighted by the performance and finish qualities of this 98k. The trigger is a dream of a unit especially and a .22 version will be aquired at some point.

Looks the part with my Flecktarn!

Give the HW97 a hug for me Mark, I do miss her. A lot of great shooting memories lie behind that rifle. 

Best regards mate.

Simon

• Like 1

Thank you so much lads for the kind responses. 

Jimmy my dear pal. Thank you for your really kind response. I never had anything come easy and the Pro Sport was a dream come true really. That's my wish list sorted.  Now I have this to add to it.

You have to come down here, or I'll come to you and try this rifle yourself. I just need to get it tuned with a suitable kit and I reckon it will be something outstanding. 

God bless you and Nicola mate Hope we'll see you both again soon.

Love and best wishes.

Simon and Helen. X

• Like 1
22 hours ago, falcongit said:

Hi simon, longtime since i have been on hear bud how are you doing in this fine neck of the woods have you settled in now lol, the rifle sounds great mate how many you got now in your collection simon lol. cheers bud regards symon 

Hi Symon.

Doing really well thanks mate, and good to see you back here.

Life here in my neck of Lincolnshire is really good to us. Got some beautiful permissions and a very large garden to indulge all the shooting I want. 

The collection currently stands at:

DIANA MAUSER K98 .177

AIR ARMS PRO SPORT .22

WEIHRAUCH HW80. .22

WEIHRAUCH HW77 .22

DAYSTATE REGAL .177 PCP

WEBLEY FX200 .22 PCP.

Very impressed with the Mauser K98 .177, especially the trigger. Will get Helen to photograph it and post the results up here soon as we can. 

Cheers Symon and all the best mate.

Simon.

• Thanks 1