Plasterers....HELP PLEASE!

Ok, I've just knocked off the sharp long drops on my bathroom ceiling aertex in preparation for skimming smooth and noticed an awful lot of the paint seems loose and pretty

easy to peel.

015.jpg.85c13a57fdab3162551115b6ad35b01a.jpg

I really don't know it this is some sort of bathroom paint or silk type emulsion, but I get the impression that it was never applied properly from new, either still damp aertex or no sealer/mist coat or probably both!

Will PVA (even a couple of well thinned coats) solve this, or is there another sealer that I will need, or do I have to spend days trying to get the paint off? 

Cheers

overboarding will be a mission.. ive re-skimmed loads of aertex ceilings.

if aertex is loose I just scrape it off where it falls off and if the paints flakey in patches just attack it with a stanly knife and wire brush the dodgy areas!

two thick coats of descent pva.. not the cheap watery stuff will seal any raw plaster... never had a call back yet!

I do plenty of skimming.  I'd Stanley lines/crosses all over it . Then scrape the flakey bits off , if you don't then theirs a good chance the weight of the new plaster will pull the flakey stuff off along with the flakey plaster . Then paint blue grit all over the ceiling before skimming . We used to PVA but moved to blue grit and haven't looked back , it's only 1 coat and the aggregate is a amazing key , plus the blue colour shows you where you've painted so theirs no missed bits 

1 hour ago, si brown said:

overboarding will be a mission.. ive re-skimmed loads of aertex ceilings.

if aertex is loose I just scrape it off where it falls off and if the paints flakey in patches just attack it with a stanly knife and wire brush the dodgy areas!

two thick coats of descent pva.. not the cheap watery stuff will seal any raw plaster... never had a call back yet!

How far are you from Reading and what do you charge?! :thumbs:

Thanks everyone, opening this up a bit, I'm going to need several rooms skimming soon, does anyone know a decent plasterer near Reading who doesn't charge silly money, the last guy I had was shocking!

Cheers :thumbs:

1 minute ago, downsouth said:

Id overboard it just to be on the safeside cant see a bathroom being mich more than a couple of boards.How much was the last guy charging and what do you call silly money?

2.1m x 3.35m ceiling only I was quoted £760 to just skim.

22 minutes ago, Deker said:

2.1m x 3.35m ceiling only I was quoted £760 to just skim.

Your problem is your proximity to London, I,m afraid you are getting hit with London prices, I,d drive up from Bristol and do it for half that price, splish splosh loads of dosh ?