What ballistic 308 ammo?

Another one to put the cat amongst the pigeons, after the big scope debate?

Just wondering if any of you have used Ballistic 308 rounds and which you have found to be the most reliable?

I’ve potentially got some more permission and there is a range of different shooting to be done. So need to get the 308 ammo sorted.

Its a chance I’ve  got deer (when in season), hence my 308. Also foxes which may be over kill for a fox but still using it?

20 minutes ago, walshie said:

I prefer softpoints like Sierra Gameking. I use 150gr. 

Are these widely available walshie?

Need to speak to my RFD but didn’t want to go in blind. He’s usually pretty good and doesn’t fob me off, but want to go in with a bit of a heads up?

I've tried loads in the past but almost always stick to PPU 150g SP now, I am fortunate that they work in my rifle and give me about 1", that does for me and not much argues with a 150g .308 delivered that close.     I've used the Nosler 150 Ballistic tips in the past and they fly well, but I just don't need them!

SP always my preference for deer!

And yeah, .308 a bit heavy for fox, back in the day before AOLQ, I had all sorts of a battle getting my .308 conditioned for fox, to heavy duty was their excuse!   I have never gone out looking for fox with a .308, but every now and again they turn up!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

My last 308 was excellent with hornady 110grn v max and a case full of h4895 (50grn) compressed.

From a 20" barrel I was getting 3160fps and a tiny bug hole group.

The same rifle shot a sedate 150grn bullet from Speer at 2600fps on bl-c2 to a similar zero into a one hole group.

That rifle did an excellent job of vermin and deer.

goldmedal001.jpg

febsatfoxs005.jpg

U.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Underdog said:

My last 308 was excellent with hornady 110grn v max and a case full of h4895 (50grn) compressed.

From a 20" barrel I was getting 3160fps and a tiny bug hole group.

The same rifle shot a sedate 150grn bullet from Speer at 2600fps on bl-c2 to a similar zero into a one hole group.

That rifle did an excellent job of vermin and deer.

goldmedal001.jpg

febsatfoxs005.jpg

U.

Great pictures UD.

Was it hornady superperformance ammo?

I asked this question to Mark Ripley from 260 RIPs and that’s what he recommended.

18 minutes ago, Longshanx said:

Great pictures UD.

Was it hornady superperformance ammo?

I asked this question to Mark Ripley from 260 RIPs and that’s what he recommended.

Hornady developed a powder that somehow increased performance.

Think it generally added a couple hundred feet per second or so.

The fmj ammo is illegal for deer but will kill vermin. However the vermin might run off before they expire.

If you have lots of the fmj ammo you could modify it! Don't laugh but many an fmj has been filed to remove the tip  so some bullet disruption occurs.

U.

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Underdog said:

The fmj ammo is illegal for deer but will kill vermin. However the vermin might run off before they expire.

If you have lots of the fmj ammo you could modify it! Don't laugh but many an fmj has been filed to remove the tip  so some bullet disruption occurs.

U.

I won’t be using the fmj ammo it’s just what came with the rifle. Definitely wouldn’t use it in the field.

Not sure I’d be confident enough to file down the tips?

11 hours ago, Underdog said:

U.

Very little runs anywhere if hit by any type of .308 in anything close the right place, and certainly not anything I would call vermin! :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...