33 minutes ago, Arry said:

Could be on the money there FLATTOP also maybe the Orange Birch Bolete both very similar ether way I would eat it, as long as it didn't cut and go blue, which I don't think it will. It really is a nice find in very good looking condition Cheesemastergen.

Cheers Arry

Thanks for that arry, a went back a week later after that photo was taken and it had trebled in size and lost its orangey colour, I didn’t know what it was at the time so I left it alone. Thanks for the info lads if a see another one I’ll be sure to chop it and take it home. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out for a forage to day, the first Cep of the year and a few more Boletes some Field Mushrooms, a few Chanterelles. A Blackening Polypore (not that good to eat). First Cep   Black

Arry in his early days, picked the wrong mushroom 

They look great ?.. I always bail out of eating wild ones in case I'm wrong and they're poisonous ? ... This year I've got braver I try them twenty mins after the Mrs does ?

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Cheesemastergeneral said:

Thanks for that arry, a went back a week later after that photo was taken and it had trebled in size and lost its orangey colour, I didn’t know what it was at the time so I left it alone. Thanks for the info lads if a see another one I’ll be sure to chop it and take it home. 

Did you take a picture the last time. It is possible it may have been a Cep even better if it was.

Cheers Arry

4 hours ago, Cheesemastergeneral said:

Sadly a didn’t arry wish a did now, do they tend to grow back in the same places as before.

Yes mate they do tend to appear in the same places under there same trees, probably not until next season now though but always worth a check. I have a few favourite spots for Ceps etc under Oaks most of them that I visit from the beginning of the season till the end.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Arry said:

Yea Parasol or Shaggy Parasol both edible (some people can't tolerate the Shaggy Parasol). But as I decided to check I opened the Roger Phillips Mushroom book on page 26 and theres a dead ringer"Lepiota Konradii" no common name its rare and edible so it maybe that one.

Cheers Arry

Lovely I finally found one I can eat. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, jiggy said:

That was tasty with a tender rabbit and stuffing.

IMG_0469.JPG

Mate one thing, its a good idea to just eat a little piece of a mushroom or fungi if your trying it for the first time and keep some back just in case, as I said in earlier post "Some people can't tolerate the "Shaggy Parasol". Please make sure you are 100% happy before eating any mushroom.

A couple that live in a village near me lost their kidneys and had to have transplants getting it wrong with mushrooms. 

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Arry said:

Mate one thing, its a good idea to just eat a little piece of a mushroom or fungi if your trying it for the first time and keep some back just in case, as I said in earlier post "Some people can't tolerate the "Shaggy Parasol". Please make sure you are 100% happy before eating any mushroom.

A couple that live in a village near me lost their kidneys and had to have transplants getting it wrong with mushrooms. 

Cheers Arry

Oops I golloped it down like a pelican eating a fish.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They are v nice but not all can take them esp the shaggy the giant is much safer and fried in butter and breadcrumbs is top fodder ,  it’s crazy the more you get into wild and foraging the more you learn the more cautious you get   Mush/fungi I used to woof down now get a serious check the ultimate being a spore check , folk more apt than me only eat a small array of wild   Most up to 4  scarey I know it’s not plain sailing I’ve made the mrs really ill shame I can’t find the one that sees her off lol keep searching ?

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Out for a mooch today between the rain showers. Still Hedgehog mushrooms about and the Winter Chanterelles coming on more, should be loads in a week or so. Quite a bit of non edible stuff. The Wood or Sordid Blewits are still coming up in my garden.

Heres some nice size Hedgehogs.

CIMG0432.jpg.41370da975a5d0c0f3c673588d191d1a.jpg

P1200610.jpg.9b2eca39da01884461be5fe430021d36.jpg

Non edibe

CIMG0423.jpg.344118d846a9633d644d9437283b7c0e.jpg

Cheers Arry

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If they are fit and young if its giant puff balls clean white all the way through, if they are starting to go purple I would leave. Let them get bigger about the size of a small foot ball mate good eating, thin slices 5mm - !0mm thick. I can't tell what you have there mate it's the size that counts with giant puff ball, safe as houses if the size of a small foot ball or larger.

Could be good for a few fungi in the next few weeks after that rain and getting warmer, bit early for most but it's the conditions are right we might get a flush.

Cheers Arry

27 minutes ago, Arry said:

If they are fit and young if its giant puff balls clean white all the way through, if they are starting to go purple I would leave. Let them get bigger about the size of a small foot ball mate good eating, thin slices 5mm - !0mm thick. I can't tell what you have there mate it's the size that counts with giant puff ball, safe as houses if the size of a small foot ball or larger.

Could be good for a few fungi in the next few weeks after that rain and getting warmer, bit early for most but it's the conditions are right we might get a flush.

Cheers Arry

Yeah i've seen them there before and they get to football size but think they'll be gone before i get there.

• Like 1