1 hour ago, green lurchers said:

Great stuff arry that hen of the woods looks ace I be on the look out as we got oak round here ?

Pity your not closer GL, I know you could work some of your cooking magic with that stuff, really is the prime gear. 

Cheers Arry

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out for a forage to day, the first Cep of the year and a few more Boletes some Field Mushrooms, a few Chanterelles. A Blackening Polypore (not that good to eat). First Cep   Black

Arry in his early days, picked the wrong mushroom 

They look great ?.. I always bail out of eating wild ones in case I'm wrong and they're poisonous ? ... This year I've got braver I try them twenty mins after the Mrs does ?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, green lurchers said:

Any clue mate some as big as dinner plates on oak trees 

98A7161F-02C3-4840-B16E-8C571D766729.jpeg

5B500A2A-439A-4B3F-A171-A1FA6952E904.jpeg

First one is "Chicken of the Woods" and a nice young one, the other looks like the under side of "Beef Steak Mushroom". Is the second one red on top and cut red like meat? soak in milk for 2 or 3 hours.

If they are "Beef Steak Mushrooms" go for the small young ones.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, Arry said:

First one is "Chicken of the Woods" and a nice young one, the other looks like the under side of "Beef Steak Mushroom". Is the second one red on top and cut red like meat? soak in milk for 2 or 3 hours.

If they are "Beef Steak Mushrooms" go for the small young ones.

Cheers Arry

They were red on top mate see this at the base of tree is this a bigger chicken of the woods 

2AB39685-9926-4340-8BB9-922A39AFA111.jpeg

35 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

They were red on top mate see this at the base of tree is this a bigger chicken of the woods 

2AB39685-9926-4340-8BB9-922A39AFA111.jpeg

Think its is "Chicken of the Woods". What colour when cut mate? I would go for the young one in yesterdays post.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

GL as they mature they usually sort of fan out like this.IMG_9685.thumb.jpg.50f370be098cd980b05903e9cc4681d3.jpg.556835f739a374c7fab0813459314129.jpg

When young they sort of look like yellow phosphorus growth running out off a tree (Usually Oak or wild Cherry) in slow motion, If you get what I mean. Hope this is some help.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

I'm no expert mate just taught myself a few new ones each year. But if you wan't to come down Rabid your very welcome mate just pm me set up a date. Have to be soon for the fungi, as soon as it goes cold they will die of fast. There will be a run of "Hedgehog Mushrooms" and "Winter Chanterelles" very soon.

Cheers Arry

Nice little "Cep" growing on the stoney track through the woods today. A Good example of what looks like a net or network on the stalk. 

P1200437.thumb.jpg.f1395d5cfe98f62c3ca0bb297de499bf.jpg

Went to a little spot for "Chanterelles" they are a lovely egg yoke yellow here, where as the ones I find near were I live are a much duller almost buff dull colour.

P1200431.thumb.jpg.e1fc1fbf4debf8c41bc270074d16a3f8.jpg

Growing in the leaf litter and moss under some Beech trees in a south facing wood.

P1200433.thumb.jpg.f658cc5f83facd958a958f2dd8c38dc7.jpg

P1200428.thumb.jpg.d8a3ac533ac344a54d4544a49b97bdd8.jpg

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Arry said:

Nice little "Cep" growing on the stoney track through the woods today. A Good example of what looks like a net or network on the stalk. 

P1200437.thumb.jpg.f1395d5cfe98f62c3ca0bb297de499bf.jpg

Went to a little spot for "Chanterelles" they are a lovely egg yoke yellow here, where as the ones I find near were I live are a much duller almost buff dull colour.

P1200431.thumb.jpg.e1fc1fbf4debf8c41bc270074d16a3f8.jpg

Growing in the leaf litter and moss under some Beech trees in a south facing wood.

P1200433.thumb.jpg.f658cc5f83facd958a958f2dd8c38dc7.jpg

P1200428.thumb.jpg.d8a3ac533ac344a54d4544a49b97bdd8.jpg

Cheers Arry

Looking good mate the ink

cap field has been very poor so far even with the wet stuff last few weeks 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

My polish mate 2 or 3 times a week brings me mushroom soup.on saturday he walks into the forest and picks them.i just thought they were the white one's.

Check these out.bloody nice too.

Can anybody name them.

20180925_174328.jpg

20180925_174321.jpg

Can't quite make out what they are. Have they all got like a sponge on the under side of the caps mate. The rusty coloured one in the middle in the last photo, pretty sure is a "Orange Birch Bolete" and others in the bag look like "Birch Boletes"(which look the same as the orange one but would have a brown cap, white sponge on the under side of the cap, but the same long stalk with like grey speckles). Get your Polish mate to show you they are good at it.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

I would not of eaten them if i'd seen them.i've never seen mushrooms like it,i thought he meant the white ones.

The orange birch boletes i want to eat on its own.see if it taste different.the big orange ones above it have no stork,just that.

Yep he loves his forraging,they all do.saturday 5 o clock he's up and on his way out even though its pitch black.i aint getting up that time.its what he's always done.good man is jarak.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

I would not of eaten them if i'd seen them.i've never seen mushrooms like it,i thought he meant the white ones.

The orange birch boletes i want to eat on its own.see if it taste different.the big orange ones above it have no stork,just that.

Yep he loves his forraging,they all do.saturday 5 o clock he's up and on his way out even though its pitch black.i aint getting up that time.its what he's always done.good man is jarak.

Oh mate You have to do it once, they got so much info, wish I had a chance. If you still have that big one could you turn it over a take a photo of the under side.

Cheers Arry