Hob ferret back legs not working

Evening all  gone to one of my hobs hutches tonight to feed him and he's come out of his sleeping quarters dragging his back legs around ,he can't walk on them. obviously this time of year he's on his own, so he's not had any problems with any others. His weights fine he's not off his food, he's still the same as usual just dragging his back legs about he is only 6 years old. Has this happened to any one else ?

Thanks for the reply pie eater  he has got a little bit better, he has stopped dragging his backend about. But now it’s  more of a drunken stagger if that makes sense. But my vet said that it could be a number of things, I think its possibly could of been that  hot weather we had even though his hutch was covered up with a wet sheet often and lots of water to bath and drink,  plus being in the shade. Some how it’s done something to him. But if he was in any pain or discomfort I would put him to sleep but he isn’t, he hasn’t gone of his food and he sh#ts in the corner of his hutch fine still just really weird how he has gone. 

My ferrets get through 40 degree summers but its dry, not thinking its the cause but might be too humid with a wet sheet constantly on the cage.Would be like a constant sauna.Dogs and ferrets here die from humid hot conditions a lot more than dry hot weather.And is a breeding ground for disease.

Edited by Aussie Whip

I've got the same problem with my jill. Shes at least 4 because I rescued her 3 years ago. Her back end is totally gone. She's still eating and drinking normally and still plays with the kits as much as she can. Drags herself around with no troubles at all. I think it's time I had her pts now. Dont want to but sometimes you have to do right by them and not us

• 2 weeks later...

I had five kits from one of my jills this summer.  I had to knock one on the head because its back legs had gone.  They all looked OK when they first started venturing from the nest box, but I soon realised one of them had a dickie back end.  A mate of mine had a whole litter like this 15 years ago.  I thought it may have been some kind of deficiency.